Sep 09 2012
By: Nanosuituser059 First Son 19 posts

Questions

5 replies 70 views Edited Sep 9, 2012

I hear some places that the ps3 fat 60gb is more compatible with ps2 games than the ps3 80gb and vice versa, which one is true? Will Call of duty World At War Final Fronts work on either of the fat PS3's? If I were to upgrade the fat PS3's hard drive to a 500gb hard drive, would I remove any of the ps2 and ps1 backward compatibilitiy? I can get a fat ps3 60gb and 80gb for $219.99. Is that a good deal?

Message 1 of 6 (70 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25769 posts

Re: Questions

Sep 9, 2012

Nanosuituser059 wrote:

I hear some places that the ps3 fat 60gb is more compatible with ps2 games than the ps3 80gb and vice versa, which one is true?

(The original models contained the PS2 chipset, while the later 80gig models combined the Graphics Synthesizer and Emotion Engine emulation, which wasn't 100% fool proof. While you do get "better" PS2 playback on an earlier model, there will be the odd game that will give you trouble). 

Will Call of duty World At War Final Fronts work on either of the fat PS3's?

(It should)

If I were to upgrade the fat PS3's hard drive to a 500gb hard drive, would I remove any of the ps2 and ps1 backward compatibilitiy?

(The hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with backward compatibility)

I can get a fat ps3 60gb and 80gb for $219.99. Is that a good deal?

(Honestly at this point you're rolling the dice, and that goes for buying any six year old piece of electronics. Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a six year old toaster. You'd probably be better off getting a new PS3, and then looking around for a used PS2. I know that it defeats the purpose of having an "all in one" console, but if you buy an older PS3 and it craps out you're out $220, and you have no legal recourse)

Message 2 of 6 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Sep 9, 2012

It is a rephurbished one at Gamestop. If it craps out I will take it to Gamer's Edge(formerly Playntrade).

Message 3 of 6 (59 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25769 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012

Nanosuituser059 wrote:

It is a rephurbished one at Gamestop. If it craps out I will take it to Gamer's Edge(formerly Playntrade).

And what will they do? Give you store credit? You're still going to have spent $220 on a six year old piece of broken electroincs, and GameStop will still have your money. 

Listen, I know you see the old console and you think "WOW! Major score!", but as the old saying goes if it's seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'm not trying to be mean here, but gamers are always complaining about how games and accessories are "too expensive", and they say they don't have the money to spend, but take a look at HOW you're spending your money. Is paying nearly as much for an old machine that you don't know how much use you're going to get out of,  really a better deal than buying a new one that you know you're going to get a good four or five years out of?

Message 4 of 6 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Sep 10, 2012

It says it's gauranteeded to work.  But there is no way to know if it will last more than 4-5 years. Will probably buy a slim now.

Message 5 of 6 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15926 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2012

Here's the best advice I could ever give to someone who's ready to buy ANY console....

Buy a brand new PS3 Slim from SonyStyle.com, and opt for the 3 year extended warranty.

Provided that you have the money available, or are financially stable, you can use your credit card for the purchase to have a brand new Slim with a total of a 4 year 100% Sony warranty. The added benefit of purchasing with a credit card, is most credit card issuers will warranty a product. (you will have to start reading the fine print to see HOW LONG they will warranty a product) In essence you COULD have an iron clad warranty service through two institutions. 
I've had this done before with my credit card company with an HDTV that had a few dead pixels after the manufacturers 1 year warranty expired.... they gave me my money back so I can buy an exact replacement, with a new warranty. (I paid extra for an extended manufacturers warranty this time)

The added benefit of having an additional 3 year warranty is that AT YOURS OR SONY'S DISCRETION, you can have ONE complete BRAND NEW replacement console. Not a refurb, but a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX SECURITY SEALED PS3 as if you pulled it out of the store shelf yourself. At any other time, you will have to deal with Sony reparining or issuing an refubished console.

I intend to do this when the "super slim" PS3 releases.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 6 of 6 (42 Views)
0 Likes