Feb 18 2013
By: l-2-a_z First Son 3 posts

Questions on Battery Maintenance

5 replies 584 views Edited Feb 18, 2013

How do you take care of your battery when it comes to charging?

When the battery becomes low, which is the better way to charge it?

• Turning the vita off then charge it? Or
  • Leaving it idle then charging it?

Message 1 of 6 (584 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

Re: Questions on Battery Maintenance

Feb 19, 2013

I just treat charging my Vita the same way I've always done with rechargeable batteries...

I keep it charged for the most part (plugging it in until it is charged pretty much daily), but let it die before recharging it about once every couple of weeks.  Not sure it's necessary with LiPo batteries, but it certainly can't hurt.

Message 2 of 6 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Feb 19, 2013
With batteries now a days you can use and charge as you want freely. It's all based on charge cycles now. Each battery lasts a certain amount of cycles.

One cycle is 100% of the battery. So if you use it 50% and charge it full, then use it 20% and charge it full, then use it 30% and charge it full, that's one cycle.

So you can charge it when you're done use and it won't kill the battery by charging it all the time.

The only recommendation is once a month, like BBurgSteve alluded to, is to let it run dry. You only have to do this once a month, not every time.

Think of it this way, if charging your battery all the time was bad, they couldn't sell cradles. The PS Vita has an optional cradle you can buy and the 3DS comes with a cradle. If it was detrimental to charge all the time, Sony and Nintendo wouldn't provide the utilities to kill batteries.
Message 3 of 6 (544 Views)
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 19, 2013

you dont have to let the battery run low or even die. the battery in the vita has no memory so just charge it when it gets below half way.
 these new batterys like  short charges and whne you get recharged they get hot and the heat kills the cells.
 i do this with my transformer tablet. do a  serach on lithum ion batterys and it will tell u the same thing

Message 4 of 6 (499 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Do not deplete your battery completely. Plug it in often!

Feb 19, 2013

The PS Vita uses a lithium ion battery.  DO NOT deplete it completely!  LIon batteries work best and have the longest lifespan if kept charged almost completely almost all the time.  DO NOT allow it to sit uncharged for long periods of time, as this can keep the battery from charging fully again.

There is battery management circuitry built into Lithium Ion batteries that (1) take a tiny bit of power on their own and (2) will keep it charged and then run off of the AC power if you leave it plugged in, and do so safely.

Again, do NOT deplete it completely.  That is bad for your battery and with something like the Vita that doesn't have a replaceable battery it's bad for your device.

References:

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-330.htm

http://batteryuniversity.com/

PSNProfiles.com - InfinityDevil
Message 5 of 6 (494 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
50 posts

Re: Do not deplete your battery completely. Plug it in often!

Feb 19, 2013

thanks devil i was just going to post that from wiki,., i do this with my new vita and tablet

Message 6 of 6 (491 Views)
0 Likes