Mar 04 2012
By: tr10pt1c0n Lombax Warrior 108 posts

Questions about "near" app

5 replies 10 views Edited Mar 4, 2012

I just got my PSV last night.  Having fun learning what it can do, putting my available PSP games on it, etc.

I am wondering about the NEAR app.  What exactly do other people see when they are near me?  Are they seeing my home address?  I see it when I am looking at the near app but I am not sure if that is what other people see.

And, does a Privacy Zone hide me when I am in it?

The website does not really explain very much and not in any detail, or I am just not reading it the correct way.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/apps/psvita-app-near.html

Any links to Sony or Playstation websites that describe it in more detail would be great.

Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19284 posts

Re: Questions about "near" app

Mar 4, 2012

They only see your proximity to their location. They can also see games you have played, trophies and who is on your friends list. Putting on privacy mode disallows them to see that information.

Please do not send me a friend's request without telling me who you are and where I know you from. Thank you.

Message 2 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Mar 4, 2012

The proximity location is like 'relative' to where your location is, there isn't a real "map" to see anyone on, nor N or E or W or S so it's just all "relative" to you.

Anyhow, there are 2 in my house with PS Vita's and we do not look like we are at the same spot,in NEAR even though we use the same services as each other.

Message 3 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for the information.  I found a YouTube video that seems pretty thorough.  Need to watch it from home though as I don't have sound at work.

I may never know how NEAR works unless someone near me actually has a PS Vita and turns near on...

Message 4 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Not really what you were asking for in this thread, but I just wanted to comment on NEAR and/or the populrity of Vita in my area. The night that I bought my Vita (launch day 2/22) I checked NEAR and found 13 people within 2 miles of me on it. (I live in a suburb of Baltimore.) I was fairly impressed. within a few days that number was in the 30's and last night there were 48! Over a dozen have actually sent me friend requests. I'm excited!

Message 5 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Glad to hear it is working nicely for you.  I live in an area that has half the population of Baltimore.  So, I guess if I see 24 people near me, that is pretty good.

Message 6 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes