*While using the component cables.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (422 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Question about my PS2 and blurry look on my high-def TV

Aug 8, 2012
Which component AV cable did you buy? Was it a PlayStation-only cable, or was it for many different consoles?
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Aug 10, 2012

The cable that I bought from an ebay seller said it was for Playstation 2 or 3, but it doesn't have the PS name on it anywhere. So, I'm thinking it's for any console. I looked on Sony's site and found some info about that type of cable, but it's not for sale on Sony's site. I had to buy it from someone else. It is slightly better than PS's regular cable, just not as great as I hoped for.

In answer to the other reply: I'll try the progressive scan option next time I play.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (408 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Aug 11, 2012
When I mean a cable that's for any console, I mean it has different ends for PlayStations, Nintendos and Xboxes. Those consoles all have very particular and non-interchangeable cable connectors.

I was trying to figure out why you you see a cross-hatching pattern now that you didn't see before. Sometimes if you plug a generic cable into more than one console at the same time, or plug in more than one video connection on the same cable (e.g. S-Video and composite yellow; composite yellow and component red-green-blue), or plug in several video cables into the same input on the TV, you get interference in the form of cross hatching on the screen. Or you may have gotten a poor quality cable that lets in interference.

It might be safer to buy the official Sony PlayStation component cable, because it will definitely have enough insulation and quality control for the price you pay.

If you play in interlaced mode on your component cables, then you won't see a night and day difference in quality. You need to play in progressive mode if your game supports it. Usually the high profile games near the end of the PS2's run will be able to play in 480p or even 1080i.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2012

I have one HDMI cable hooked from the PS3 to the HDMI hole on the TV and this one component cable hooked from the PS2 to the component plug holes on the back of the TV (not the same area). The crosshatching doesn't look like typical TV screen interference to me. It isn't shimmering or moving. For example, in a scene in a video game with blue sky, instead of smooth blue color, there is crosshatched blue color (blue lines are visible in the color). In grey colored pavement on screen, there is grey crosshatch lines, etc. It's like seeing an artist's paintbrush strokes in a painting. In the old standard PS cable, I couldn't see this. It was smooth color, although everything was blurred on this new HD TV. Is it simply because this cable allows more clarity that I'm seeing the lines? It's odd, because the PS2 screen images are still somewhat blurry. If it's so HD, then why is it blurry at all? I'm having no problems with the HDMI PS3 images on this TV. Are these types of TVs just not good for PS2 or non-HD consoles? I can't tell if it's the TV that's the problem or the cable. If the TV is the problem, then it won't matter which cable I buy.

This component cable has an end that fits the Playstation 2. I'm assuming that it only fits PS consoles, but I don't know. It looks generic. I don't know which company made this one. It came in a plastic bag, with no name on it.There are a LOT of third party companies that make these cables for Playstation consoles.

After searching the internet awhile,  I finally found an official Sony PS3 component cable available to buy on only a few sites (Wal-Mart.com being the most noteworthy). Most people are claiming that it works for PS2, also (which is what I need it for). The price (around $20 or so) is higher for it than what I paid for the generic cable ($4.95), so I don't know whether to buy it or not. If I buy it and it turns out no better than the other cable, I may not be able to send it back and get a refund. I really don't want to spend more money on another cable, if it's going to be the same. 

Is there really that much difference between generic cables and official Sony ones?

Has anyone else had this problem with a Playstation 2 console on an HDTV?

Do you think I should buy the Official Sony component cable and give it a try?

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

Aug 16, 2012

Now, I've read some posts on Amazon.com that say the S-Video cable is better for the PS2 than the component cable. A few people say that the component cable causes blurry images on PS2 games, but the S-Video cable doesn't. But only a few people say that. Most say go with component (which I've tried with disappointment). After first reading that component is better and now reading these comments, I don't know what to believe.

I'm having a hard time believing that Sony's component cable is better than any generic one, though. I can't help but think that the higher price for Sony's is simply paying more for a brand name. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have an opinion on this: S-video cable or Component cable for my PS2 hookup to an HDTV? Which is better and makes the screen images less blurry?

-Mike

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Aug 18, 2012

excalibur6834 wrote:

Now, I've read some posts on Amazon.com that say the S-Video cable is better for the PS2 than the component cable. A few people say that the component cable causes blurry images on PS2 games, but the S-Video cable doesn't. But only a few people say that. Most say go with component (which I've tried with disappointment). After first reading that component is better and now reading these comments, I don't know what to believe.

I'm having a hard time believing that Sony's component cable is better than any generic one, though. I can't help but think that the higher price for Sony's is simply paying more for a brand name. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have an opinion on this: S-video cable or Component cable for my PS2 hookup to an HDTV? Which is better and makes the screen images less blurry?

-Mike

What tv do you have there? Give us the name and model number if you have it or can find it.  Before you spend any more money lets see if we can find where the problem is.  Give us your TV info. The component cables 3rd party or Official sony ones don't matter, based on my experience.  The S-Video is good if you have a CRT TV, but component is the way to go if you have a LCD HDTV.  If you have a camera would you mind uploading a few photos here to show us the blurry images. Take 3 pics or so. One pic of the PS2 main window, that's the one where it reads Browser and System Configuration. Another pic should be in the browser window where you can select and see the Memory Card or Game/DVD disc, and the last pic should be of a game that you are playing, any game, get a gameplay image.  One of the things that you should do is try the PS2 on another TV, go to your friends house and try it out. That is one of the last things you should consider. Some games might require changing your color, brightness and so on in the main menu of your tv.  It is possible that it can come down to the cable, at the same time it could be another one of those weird things that happen that don't have a explanation.  In my long time of gaming i've encountered weird problems as have many other gamers. Game working one day and not the next, you get audio but no video and few hours later it all works fine. Also the AV out on your PS2 could be damaged, Lets hope it's not that.  Basically upload few photos here, give us your tv info so we can see what kind of tv we are dealing with, try it at your friends place, hook up the ps2 there.

Here is a link to the Official sony Component cables, they are for PS3 but will work on PS2. Your local Best Buy or walmart should have these as well.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (377 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Aug 22, 2012
Modern HDTVs are very high resolution (i.e. can show very fine detail) compared to the low resolution that the old PS2 games were made in. A PS2 game has to be stretched by the TV to fill the screen. This stretching causes blurriness. The PS3 helps by processing and sharpening the PS2 picture before it reaches your TV. If you want the sharpest picture for your PS2 games, then use your PS3.

Otherwise, the component cable is the best connection from the PS2 to the HDTV. It transmits video information over three separately insulated cables instead of over just one cable with composite yellow or S-Video. Maybe you got a bum component cable that's letting in interference that's causing the cross hatching. The official Sony cable is a known quantity. If it doesn't work, then return it to the store. It's hard to do that with an eBay cable.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (363 Views)
0 Likes