First Son
25 posts

Re: Question about Vita slot

Dec 7, 2012

I heard it is an accessory port. its there just in case. (again, its what i've heard) i also hope for the video out feature.

Message 11 of 17 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 7, 2012
I don't think that slot is for a video out, because I saw one instance of a Vita with a video out function (used to demonstrate a game at a game conference), and it attached to the bottom.

I think that port give Sony some flexibility to expand the Vita's functionality if they choose to, but since Sony still has a lot more work to do establishing the Vita, it may never be used at all...
Message 12 of 17 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
462 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I don't think that slot is for a video out, because I saw one instance of a Vita with a video out function (used to demonstrate a game at a game conference), and it attached to the bottom.

I think that port give Sony some flexibility to expand the Vita's functionality if they choose to, but since Sony still has a lot more work to do establishing the Vita, it may never be used at all...

I cant even think of an attachment that a game could use since things can be programmed to use the back touch panel... meaning the way it is positioned, unless an attachment sat above the console it would cover the back panel in some way. Prob. why it never got used.

Message 13 of 17 (106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Dec 7, 2012
That's a very interesting question about the vita.(This probably doesn't help you with your question)
Message 14 of 17 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Dec 7, 2012

MikanYui11 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I find it very curious no one has any idea what that port does, not even the Sony employees that run the Blog. If nothing happens with it next year, I bet Sony will remove it once Sony upgrades the Vita to a new model...

Perhaps it is just part of the dev PCB that had its functionality removed. Kind of like how the Nexus 7 is 4G LTE Capable, only slightly because the modem is built into the board to begin with yet remains disabled... unless its for a peripheral sony hopes dev will make on their own, like... guitar hero attachments or something. Which I think is the case as they would not put two screw holes on each side unless something needed to be secured there.

May be dreaming but........ maybe a trigger port? i dont know, sounds kind of far fetched but would be awesome!

Message 15 of 17 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Dec 8, 2012
I'd prefer it to be video out myself. Hook that bad boy up to my TVs and then use my PS3 controller. That'd be my portable/home Console.

Sony can't say that would take away from ps3 sales since many people know portables are not a replacement for a home console.
Message 16 of 17 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Consoles had extra ports for as long as I've been playing video games (I''ll be 47 next month). Very few actually used them (light gun seems to be the most common use for the FAMICOM). I think they are merely "just in case" features. Sony will probably remove them from PSV in Gen 2 to reduce manufacturing costs.

Message 17 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes