Feb 21 2013
By: xClayMeow Gaming Beast 1916 posts

Question about Remote Play (Good thing or bad thing for Vita owners?)

13 replies 298 views Edited Feb 21, 2013

So as I'm sure you all know, Sony confirmed an emphasis on Remote Play between the PS4 and Vita.

One of the PS4 launch titles, Knack, will feature Remote Play and they showed the demo on stage.

My question is, does that mean we NEED a PS4 to play it on our Vita, or will there be a Vita version we can play as well? I guess my question is whether Remote Play is going to negatively or positively impact the number of Vita games developed in the future. I don't want to be "forced" into buying a PS4 just to be able to play the best Vita games.

Message 1 of 14 (298 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: Question about Remote Play (Good thing or bad thing for Vita owners?)

Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, that's a tough one. I guess I was thinking it was cool that they said they'd like to make all PS4 games available for the Vita. With them talking about all the 3rd party support it sure paints a pretty picture, but if it's like you are thinking, that would mean fewer titles coming to the Vita in a package (cartridge, download) that you could take on the road with you if you depend on Wifi (streaming from PS4) to play them.

I know I personally bought it so it could be portable, not to sit at my house and play games that are available on my 47" HDTV.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for making this thread, it gives me something to think about. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Message 2 of 14 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Remote Play is Remote Play. Nothing they said should have changed how anyone thinks about it. You'll be able to play (they said most to all) PS4 games via Remote Play, just like you already can do with some games, only better.

Seeing as how it seems like most PS4 games won't be able to be scaled down to a Vita version ( like Allstars or Sly Cooper), I don't think the Vita will be affected in a negative way.
Message 3 of 14 (262 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1061 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

im sure the two systems will be able to play locally as a controller and vita will be able to play its own copies of whatever games they share  being its powerful. remoteplay will be for PS4 to Vita.

thats what i took from listening to the conference.

Message 4 of 14 (255 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9698 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Im sure you'll need a Ps4 in order to use the remote play option with the Vita.
Message 5 of 14 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, we get what remote play is.

We were just wondering if developers making games for the PS4 that are remote play games, will make the effort to make Vita only games. I could see them thinking, "We are making games for the Vita." I just hope it doesn't take away from the Vita's portable non wifi gaming list, if they are concentrating on PS4 and remote play only.

Like I said, wait and see.

Message 6 of 14 (235 Views)
Splicer
80 posts

Feb 21, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

We were just wondering if developers making games for the PS4 that are remote play games, will make the effort to make Vita only games. I could see them thinking, "We are making games for the Vita." I just hope it doesn't take away from the Vita's portable non wifi gaming list, if they are concentrating on PS4 and remote play only.

Well said, and I never thought of that before. It's a scary thought and can easily be true.

Although I don't know if Sony will take that quietly because it would effectively kill of the PS Vita and I doubt Sony wants that. I'm sure Sony would try their best to convince developers to develop for both titles because what's the point of the feature if the PS Vita ends up having no games itself? No one would buy the system and the feature would be useless.

Makes me doubt it will happen this way, but definitely a possibility.

Message 7 of 14 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 21, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

Exactly! As I said in my OP, taking Knack as an example, it seems the type of game that could easily run natively on the Vita, but are the devs going not give us a legitimate Vita version because they're supporting Remote Play instead? And how is that going to affect future game development from other studios?

I'm not the type of person that requires Vita exclusives...I'd be perfectly fine if every game is cross-platform, but I want those games to be native Vita games I can play without buying a PS4, or even if I do get a PS4, games I can play on the road without a WiFi connection.

Message 8 of 14 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Sorry, but this thread made me think of this. lmao. Yeah, I'm old. Smiley Embarassed

Message 9 of 14 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 21, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

Sorry, but this thread made me think of this. lmao. Yeah, I'm old. Smiley Embarassed

hahaha

Message 10 of 14 (216 Views)
0 Likes