Splicer
64 posts

Re: Question DIGITAL Vs. CARTRIDGE Games????

Feb 12, 2012

EliteAlien wrote:

Teus did not mean it that way. He was just saying, if you buy the actualy pyshical game your not needing to buy a digital copy.

@OP - Either copy you buy you do not really own the game, but the rights to play it. However, with none digital copies you do not have to worry about if an account was striped from you. Say your account was deactivated for what ever reason, you would not have access to redownload your games in the future. Then say you lost your account information, you would have to rebuy your games to the new account. (A pyshical game you can swipe ownership so it is said. However, it does have a form of DRM locking to a user). As for DRM each piece of content you download will have an activation limit towards X amount of devices. If you fail to deactivate your devices when switching PS Vitas, or future upgrades you could run into not being able to download a game again.

Not that any of this will happen, it is just a thing to think about when purchasing digital with Sony. As they love the SecuRom form of protection on there goods.

As for downloading it digital after purchased of a retail copy no. It will run directly off the game.

Yeah but when you download it from a PS3, it's stored on your PS3 HDD and you can also transfer it to your PC as a backup. So whether you're offline or your acct is banned, I can always transfer the games from my PS3 or PC via USB cable can't I?

Message 31 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11484 posts

Feb 12, 2012

PapaWarlock wrote:

Some games might require you to have a memory card for save game files. I know some PSP games gave you an option to install files on the memory card to speed up load times, so that might be a consideration for the Vita as well. Also you'll need the memory card for any game updates or DLC. Honestly a 16gb should hold over most physical media gamers for a very long time.

not fully true...  it has been said the game cartridges themselves may have the ability to store dlc and updates on some games...

>

Message 32 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11484 posts

Feb 12, 2012

facemischief wrote:

EliteAlien wrote:

Teus did not mean it that way. He was just saying, if you buy the actualy pyshical game your not needing to buy a digital copy.

@OP - Either copy you buy you do not really own the game, but the rights to play it. However, with none digital copies you do not have to worry about if an account was striped from you. Say your account was deactivated for what ever reason, you would not have access to redownload your games in the future. Then say you lost your account information, you would have to rebuy your games to the new account. (A pyshical game you can swipe ownership so it is said. However, it does have a form of DRM locking to a user). As for DRM each piece of content you download will have an activation limit towards X amount of devices. If you fail to deactivate your devices when switching PS Vitas, or future upgrades you could run into not being able to download a game again.

Not that any of this will happen, it is just a thing to think about when purchasing digital with Sony. As they love the SecuRom form of protection on there goods.

As for downloading it digital after purchased of a retail copy no. It will run directly off the game.

Yeah but when you download it from a PS3, it's stored on your PS3 HDD and you can also transfer it to your PC as a backup. So whether you're offline or your acct is banned, I can always transfer the games from my PS3 or PC via USB cable can't I?

im not so sure about that...  some people lost access to their games when they got their account banned

>

Message 33 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Feb 12, 2012

Teus wrote:

not fully true...  it has been said the game cartridges themselves may have the ability to store dlc and updates on some games...

>

That is only if the developer chooses to use that option and then the space can only be used for either game saves or dlc not both.

Message 34 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1767 posts

Feb 12, 2012

Depending on how big the games are. 3gb and under will go on my memstick. Anything over 3.1gb will have to be bought on a Vita game card.

...My Hamster told me to!
Message 35 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11484 posts

Feb 13, 2012

KingKannibal wrote:

Depending on how big the games are. 3gb and under will go on my memstick. Anything over 3.1gb will have to be bought on a Vita game card.

...My Hamster told me to!

i agree to but im limiting myself to 1.5gb, although ill make an exception if its a psn only game that im interested in 

>

Message 36 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 13, 2012

Im going to go retail all the way

Message 37 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Feb 13, 2012

BrayonmySoul wrote:

Im going to go retail all the way

You are aware not all games will be available in game card format but all will be on the PSN? Not trying to change your mind, just making sure you are aware.

Message 38 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Feb 13, 2012

Yes all games in retail will be available on the Playstation Store, but not all games on the Playstation Store will be available in retail.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 39 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Feb 16, 2012

The PSVIta physical games are locked to a PSN account it seems.  I tried it on one account.  Then reset the PSVita to use another PSN account.  Then played the same physical game again.  I even deactivated the psn game account on the vita before switching psn accounts.

BAD NEWS.  No trophy support on the new psn account for that physical game.  So if you sell your game to your brother, sister, family, etc...  no trophy support for them, even if that game is used on the same PSVita, because it is locked to psn account.

Hope this is a hiccup before US release.  But if this is standard on all physical games, that would be a bummer.

Message 40 of 46 (54 Views)
0 Likes