Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Re: Question DIGITAL Vs. CARTRIDGE Games????

Jan 27, 2012

I'm all for physical software.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 11 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Jan 27, 2012

For the big titles I will be sticking to physical games, but I am an addict of the small games, minis, and other PSN fair. So my memsticks will be full to brimming with those. As far as down the line, if they start offering older games from their catalog digitally I may grab one or three. I have bought games like Assassin creed from PSN instead of going to get the physical just because it made jumping into it easier... (not having to hunt down the disk from the kids play room.)

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 12 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

Jan 27, 2012

There are several factors to consider.  With phisical you actually get material you can lend, sell, or trade.  With digital its yours and yours alone!  I like both.  Digital is cool since with Sony you can re download games you have purchaced through the PS store!  This was huge, and a reason I bought a PSP Go.  My PSP 2000 games were stolen.  Wont have that problem with digital media.

But if the PSN goes down you're screwed!  I also got this issue when I wanted to buy a game for my GO but couldn't.

So there you go.

I'm getting some of each.  I also heard games on digital are cheaper.    

Message 13 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Jan 27, 2012

I think the cartridge question has been answered so I won't go there.  IMO though I think your doing good by geting a bigger mem card.  There's gonna be network exclusives that will be big.   Another thing,  I love free stuff ( especially demos ) These demos are gonna be much bigger in size than psp demos.  IMO later, these demos could be up to a gb.  Just a thought

Message 14 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Jan 27, 2012

Some games might require you to have a memory card for save game files. I know some PSP games gave you an option to install files on the memory card to speed up load times, so that might be a consideration for the Vita as well. Also you'll need the memory card for any game updates or DLC. Honestly a 16gb should hold over most physical media gamers for a very long time.

Message 15 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 27, 2012

That's not strictly true. The online pass is only for playing the game online. If you buy it second hand you can still play the game as a single player or if it supports it ad-hoc multiplayer. The only thing that won't work is the online multiplayer whether it's asynchronous or true online. The game itself isn't tied to a specific Vita or account but once the code for online play is redeemed to play the same game online you will need to purchase the online pass.

Message 16 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 28, 2012

Always buy online games as cartridge and new. Most online games you have to buy a passcode if downloaded or brought used which makes them cost just a bit more then the read hard copy game.

Plus i like hard copies, you can sell or trade them. Also if your friends got systems your can share games.

Message 17 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Feb 11, 2012

There might be some important things about the online pass.  I think if the game has updates or dlc, you are screwed and need to buy a online pass.  I think this is in effect for cartridges only that you bought from a friend?

But what is weird is, if you buy a psn download of a game, you need to buy ANOTHER online pass to play multiplayer with others?  I am kind of confused.  Sometimes the game itself plus the online pass exceeds the price of the physical game.  So I don't know where they are going with this.

Message 18 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13603 posts

Feb 11, 2012

pohanlin wrote:

There might be some important things about the online pass.  I think if the game has updates or dlc, you are screwed and need to buy a online pass.  I think this is in effect for cartridges only that you bought from a friend?

But what is weird is, if you buy a psn download of a game, you need to buy ANOTHER online pass to play multiplayer with others?  I am kind of confused.  Sometimes the game itself plus the online pass exceeds the price of the physical game.  So I don't know where they are going with this.

No, that is not true. The online pass that is available for download is ONLY there for used games, so that people can download them if they bought it used.

For example, ModNation Racers PSP is on the PSN Store. There's also an "Online Entitlement" that costs $10. But you don't need to buy the entitlement if you bought the game off the PSN Store (Since you can't buy a game off the PS Store "secondhand")

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Did you buy it to test it out?  modnation racers DOES NOT HAVE multiplayer for psvita.  I think you should give an example of a multiplayer game that support multiplayer.  people are saying you need the online pass just to link up online?  I HOPE NOT!

Message 20 of 46 (163 Views)
0 Likes