Mar 18 2011
By: a_dirty_Shisno Uncharted Territory 1982 posts

Purchase Another Year Now Or Wait Until September And Hope For A Deal? Which Will You Do?

4 replies 30 views Edited Mar 18, 2011

So if you do not already know the bonus three months deal with the purchase of a year of PlayStation Plus is expiring on March 29th.  Something you should also know is that if you purchase a second year, or even more, you still receive an additional three months for each year you purchase. This brings up an interesting question:

For those of us who are certain to renew, are you going to purchase another year now (or more) and get a free three extra months (for each year), or are you going to wait and place your bets on Sony giving a renewal incentive in September when our first fifteen month subscriptions run out?

Me personally, if I had the money to spend I'd have just bought five or six years the day this was first confimed back in June, but I didn't then and I still don't now so I'm going to hold off.

I see it as if I don't think that there will be a deal this year then there probably won't be a deal next year so I'd have to buy two years to feel content.  But then there obviously would not likely be a deal the year after so I'd have to buy another year to cover that, and then another to cover the next.  And then how long should I keep this up for?  Should I buy enough to cover me into 2016 when the "10 year cycle" for the PlayStation 3 is over and the PlayStation 4 is out?  But what if PlayStation Plus continues on onto the PlayStation 4?  Just how much should I buy?

Now on the other hand, if a deal to entice us to renew is offered at the end of each one of our yearly subscriptions and it turns out to be better than three bonus months I just know I'd be kicking myself for buying into 3, 5, or oh say 10 years.  Not to mention if PlayStation Plus for some reason doesn't continue on past a few years and I'd purchased more than that I would very likely be out all that extra money.  And top that all off with the ever important question of "Is it worth it?".  This next offering is an example against PlayStation Plus.  Three of the freebies we're getting we've already received within the last few months.  If the second half of the year is just repeats of the first there would be a serious reason to simply not buy a second year after all.

So in my mind a year to year reassessment is warrented and just plain easier on the nerves.  At least it's easier on them until Sony offers nothing and I get ticked for not buying in now.

Message 1 of 5 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Re: Purchase Another Year Now Or Wait Until September And Hope For A Deal? Which Will You Do?

Mar 18, 2011

I was not aware that you could pay for additional years as a Plus subscriber. I also did not know the three-month extra would be expiring soon. I'm glad to have paid for Plus now than wait until it would no longer be an option.

But considering the timing, it might be best to pay for another subscription now while you still can squeeze three extra months out of Plus. I'd imagine there'll be at least some things over the course of the next year that Plus will be a reason to own again. After all, I've only just paid for the service myself. With my contract ending in June 2012, and having just forked over $50 for Plus, I think I'll just stick with the plan and not spend yet another $50 more.

If you have the money though, why not? But otherwise, I have 15 months ahead to decide whether I'll be sticking with the program - which is more than enough at the moment.

Message 2 of 5 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4902 posts

Re: Purchase Another Year Now Or Wait Until September And Hope For A Deal? Which Will You Do?

Mar 18, 2011

I'm sure they will offer something really cool in September to entice renewals. If you have the extra $49.99, sure buy an extra year but three or more? Too much.

Message 3 of 5 (30 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10608 posts

Mar 22, 2011

no, I will let it renew in september when the subscription expires. They could offer some other deal for renewing, but even if they don't it doesn't matter since I already got much more then my monies worth in this first year of plus.

Message 4 of 5 (30 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Re: Purchase Another Year Now Or Wait Until September And Hope For A Deal?  Which Will You Do?

Mar 23, 2011

im waiting - and i dont think we will have to wait till september for a new deal. i think we will have one as soon as the 3 monts plan is gone. they will always have an incentive for the year. IMHO

and to be honest if it isnt much ill continue to do what i do now. which is buy a 3 month plan when i see something i want. thenonce it expires wait again. To be honest not really careing for how they are already rehashing stuff in a program that is not even a year old - but hey thats just me

Message 5 of 5 (30 Views)
0 Likes