Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 04 2013
By: TrYnGeTsUm First Son 2 posts

Punished for being a good SONY customer

6 replies 485 views Edited Jan 4, 2013
Have you ever been punished and you didn't understand what you "did wrong"? That is what I feel SONY just done to me. I have about 90 DLC games for PS3 and about 20 DLC PS Vita games and SONY just took them all away from me for at least 7 days... Right before my big New Year's Eve party (just glad I have a pool table and a great personality to keep my guests entertained!) And what was the reason SONY decided to sit me in "The Corner"? Because I decided to purchase another PS3 system! Great way to treat a PlayStation Plus member, huh? I own 4 PS3 systems and a PSVita system. After purchasing my 1st PS3 system, I decided I wanted a Blu-Ray player for my bed room and my theater room. Recently, I got my 4th PS3 for "The Kids" room. I understood that for DLC, you can activate up to 5 systems for game content purchased before 11-17-2011 and up to 2 systems for content purchased after this date. I thought it would be nice to have my older games on the 4th system, well within the 5 system limit. But when I tried to activate #4, I got error 80029780. After some research, I decided to contact SONY support. I explained what I had done and what I was trying to do and gave them the 800 error code. He told me that there was a simple fix of going to the Sony Entertainment site and selecting the button to "Deactivate All". After walking me thru this, he said all I had to do next was go to each system and reactivate it. He then cut me loose. To my obvious disappointment, I got the same 80029780 error trying to reactivate my systems. No matter what I tried, the same results... Now, trying to launch a DLC game, it gives me 80029514 (that I need to activate the system to use the content). I called SONY again and I was told that my account was locked from activating any PS3's for 7 days and that every time I re-attempted it, the timer would be reset for 7 days. He also told me that there was no way for them to over ride this security feature and that there was NOTHING they could do for me. I understand that SONY is trying to prevent application sharing but when safeguards prevent paying customers from enjoying content that they paid hard earned cash for, it is very irritating! I know I am not a SONY key account but I feel that I have been a decent customer and now I feel I was punished for getting another PS3 system. Even my PS Vita is locked out and useless... And why? Even with my PS Vita, I have not gone over my 5/2 system limit. SONY Corporate should give their support centers the ability to reset the lockout in special cases. In addition, it would be nice if they increased the activation limit for PlayStation Plus members. If you were in this same situation, what would you expect from SONY to make this right (especially when it was a SONY Support Agent that had me de-activate all of my systems)? How can you ask to be compensated in a voice loud enough to be heard from a corporate giant like SONY? Oh well, it will all be back to normal in a few more days... Or did shopping around in the PS Store yesterday reset the 7 day timer for me?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Re: Punished for being a good SONY customer

Jan 6, 2013

your not being punished it is a security issue. just like when you renew any online license for games or dlc, its standard. theres even a lockout for 6 months on 360. so 7 days aint nothing compared to Microsofts policy.  this is a digital issue for every device. thats how they combat piracy.

you should be thankful its 7 days dude, chill out on gaming and go play with your kids outside or something. 4 ps3's is a bit overkill anyway

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1365 posts

Jan 6, 2013
Eh, you should be mad at those who game share. Not Sony.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (357 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jan 6, 2013
I actually had just recently found out that gamesharing was illegal. >.< Dropped that in a heartbeat.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (355 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28649 posts

Jan 7, 2013

TrYnGeTsUm wrote:
Have you ever been punished and you didn't understand what you "did wrong"? That is what I feel SONY just done to me. I have about 90 DLC games for PS3 and about 20 DLC PS Vita games and SONY just took them all away from me for at least 7 days... Right before my big New Year's Eve party (just glad I have a pool table and a great personality to keep my guests entertained!) And what was the reason SONY decided to sit me in "The Corner"? Because I decided to purchase another PS3 system! Great way to treat a PlayStation Plus member, huh? I own 4 PS3 systems and a PSVita system. After purchasing my 1st PS3 system, I decided I wanted a Blu-Ray player for my bed room and my theater room. Recently, I got my 4th PS3 for "The Kids" room. I understood that for DLC, you can activate up to 5 systems for game content purchased before 11-17-2011 and up to 2 systems for content purchased after this date. I thought it would be nice to have my older games on the 4th system, well within the 5 system limit. But when I tried to activate #4, I got error 80029780. After some research, I decided to contact SONY support. I explained what I had done and what I was trying to do and gave them the 800 error code. He told me that there was a simple fix of going to the Sony Entertainment site and selecting the button to "Deactivate All". After walking me thru this, he said all I had to do next was go to each system and reactivate it. He then cut me loose. To my obvious disappointment, I got the same 80029780 error trying to reactivate my systems. No matter what I tried, the same results... Now, trying to launch a DLC game, it gives me 80029514 (that I need to activate the system to use the content). I called SONY again and I was told that my account was locked from activating any PS3's for 7 days and that every time I re-attempted it, the timer would be reset for 7 days. He also told me that there was no way for them to over ride this security feature and that there was NOTHING they could do for me. I understand that SONY is trying to prevent application sharing but when safeguards prevent paying customers from enjoying content that they paid hard earned cash for, it is very irritating! I know I am not a SONY key account but I feel that I have been a decent customer and now I feel I was punished for getting another PS3 system. Even my PS Vita is locked out and useless... And why? Even with my PS Vita, I have not gone over my 5/2 system limit. SONY Corporate should give their support centers the ability to reset the lockout in special cases. In addition, it would be nice if they increased the activation limit for PlayStation Plus members. If you were in this same situation, what would you expect from SONY to make this right (especially when it was a SONY Support Agent that had me de-activate all of my systems)? How can you ask to be compensated in a voice loud enough to be heard from a corporate giant like SONY? Oh well, it will all be back to normal in a few more days... Or did shopping around in the PS Store yesterday reset the 7 day timer for me?

Sentences, paragraphs, anything?

Sorry but I can't read that as it is.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (333 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 8, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

TrYnGeTsUm wrote:

Sentences, paragraphs, anything?

Sorry but I can't read that as it is.

This. TLDR.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I feel your pain. Game sharing sucks and I do not support it but I do not support the way Sony handles good customers who buy 4 or 5 systems.

I feel like the end of the life span for the PS3 is exactly how it began. Bad customer service, bad service and at an at war attitude with customers that drive them away. After all Microsoft done wrong that drove people away from the Xbox and all the Western Branch of Sony did in 09 to improve the PS....Sony Japan is back screwing everything up.

Remember when Sony Japan told us we must work two jobs to buy the PS3? Someone needs to destroy Ridge Racer it would bring a smile on my face to watch Sony Japan's bosses cry

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (174 Views)
0 Likes