Highlighted
Jul 12 2013
By: hakumen_wins Lombax Warrior 100 posts

Ps4 using real names and lacking customization again like all PS consoles b4 it...

37 replies 729 views Edited Jul 12, 2013

Having the chance to rename yourself after a new game or movie comes out is a fun part of being part of any community, but only Sony doesnt seem to let you have the chance to full own your console and customise it the way you want and rename yourself when you want. PS3 lacked that option, wouldnt allow you to use gifs, yr own avatars, etc and PS4 is seeming to be no different. What has Sony said regarding customization? The real world names does not excite me. I wanted my own cool names I could possibly switch on the fly. What if someone hates their name? What if yr PSN friends and FB/TW friends are completely separate for a reason? I dont think Sony answered any of this and just glossed over it. What is everyone elses thoughts on the subject?

http://soundcloud.com/hakumen001/

@hakumen001 on Twitter
Message 1 of 38 (729 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5062 posts

Re: Ps4 using real names and lacking customization again like all PS consoles b4 it...

Jul 12, 2013

hakumen_wins wrote:

Having the chance to rename yourself after a new game or movie comes out is a fun part of being part of any community, but only Sony doesnt seem to let you have the chance to full own your console and customise it the way you want and rename yourself when you want. PS3 lacked that option, wouldnt allow you to use gifs, yr own avatars, etc and PS4 is seeming to be no different. What has Sony said regarding customization? The real world names does not excite me. I wanted my own cool names I could possibly switch on the fly. What if someone hates their name? What if yr PSN friends and FB/TW friends are completely separate for a reason? I dont think Sony answered any of this and just glossed over it. What is everyone elses thoughts on the subject?

I don't care. I like my name and have no plans on changing it.

The PS4 will alllow custom avatar's. Most likely will not allow GIFs/

Your real name will only be displayed for your facebook friends

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 2 of 38 (721 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Ps4 using real names and lacking customization again like all PS consoles b4 it...

Jul 12, 2013
I actually appreciate that Sony is trying to remove the complete anonymity behind PSN accounts on the PS4. Forcing people to enter their real name into the system (whether it's displayed or not) could force the countless immature, socially deficient members of the community to think twice about what they are doing or saying.

I'm actually kind of shocked that they are allowing custom avatars. Lord knows how many swastikas, or obscene images will flood the system.

I would actually like it if Sony required the entry of a credit card in order to sign up for a PSN Account. Once you turn 18, there are no restrictions with regards to getting a credit card. You don't even have to use it at all and it won't cost you money, but it's a good way to ensure that the person creating an account is indeed 18. It also makes sure that their account is positively identified with a specific individual.

While the folks out there who love the complete anonymity that online gaming provides them, and allows them to say and do whatever they want, would get very angry about this, I don't see an issue. Removing a lot of the folks out there who make things dififcult for everybody else would be a nice side-effect. Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 38 (713 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4072 posts

Jul 12, 2013

I prefer a name I give myself. I don't have ANY FB friends because I don't use it and will NOT use it.

G+ isn't integrated. They use my real name. This newer method isn't good for people who would rather be a user name on many sites. Like youtube for me, and my blogs, I can't post things to G+ as easy as I could if I used my real name on them. I won't. But at any rate, I wonder why I never made a real other me in the first place. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 38 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13013 posts

Jul 12, 2013
What game service allows gifs as avatars
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 5 of 38 (707 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13584 posts

Jul 12, 2013

There are many, many threads about chaning your PSN ID.  The topic has been beaten to death.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 6 of 38 (702 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4072 posts

Jul 12, 2013

This thread isn't about changing PSN ID.

Message 7 of 38 (700 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15326 posts

Jul 12, 2013

hakumen_wins wrote:

People like you are the reason I only have five friends on Steam. If you change your name every time something happens in pop culture how am I supposed to know who you are? It's not fun and I delete people like that immediately.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 8 of 38 (688 Views)
MVP Support
13584 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

This thread isn't about changing PSN ID.

hakumen_wins wrote:

Having the chance to rename yourself after a new game or movie comes out is a fun part of being part of any community, but only Sony doesnt seem to let you have the chance to full own your console and customise it the way you want and rename yourself when you want. PS3 lacked that option, wouldnt allow you to use gifs, yr own avatars, etc and PS4 is seeming to be no different. What has Sony said regarding customization?

>snip<

Really?

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 9 of 38 (676 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10754 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

hakumen_wins wrote:

Having the chance to rename yourself after a new game or movie comes out is a fun part of being part of any community

Naming yourself after a DBZ or YGO character or something like that may be fun.  For a 12 year old.

When you grow up, you'll understand what I mean.

Message 10 of 38 (661 Views)