MVP Support
10995 posts

Re: Ps4 no BC wth ps3 games?

Mar 16, 2013

TheDster wrote:

I know this is solved but people on the PC create emulators all the time

There is no emulator for PS3 games, mainly because it is impossible for any standard PC processor to emulate what the Cell does.

Later "Backward Compatible" PS3s used emulation for the PS2's EE and compatibility dropped from around 95% on the first B/C models to around 30% for the ones that used emulation.  That is the reason that backward compatibility was removed from the current models of the PS3.

To emulate the PS3, you will need a Cell BBE and the PS3's GPU on the system board along with the PS4's hardware.  Basically, you'd need a PS3 inside the PS4 to run PS3 content, and that would add $200-250 to the cost of the PS4.  On top of the hardware issues, you'd also need extra cooling capabilities, which would add another $100 or more to the cost of the PS4 and make it almost impossible for the PS4 to be anything smaller than a small refrigerator.

So in a way, you are right.  The PS4 is not going to be backward compatible because of money.  They don't want to put a console on store shelves that cost over a grand.  Basically, they want to put out a console that people can actually afford.

Message 11 of 12 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: Ps4 no BC wth ps3 games?

Mar 16, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

TheDster wrote:

I know this is solved but people on the PC create emulators all the time

There is no emulator for PS3 games, mainly because it is impossible for any standard PC processor to emulate what the Cell does.

Later "Backward Compatible" PS3s used emulation for the PS2's EE and compatibility dropped from around 95% on the first B/C models to around 30% for the ones that used emulation.  That is the reason that backward compatibility was removed from the current models of the PS3.

To emulate the PS3, you will need a Cell BBE and the PS3's GPU on the system board along with the PS4's hardware.  Basically, you'd need a PS3 inside the PS4 to run PS3 content, and that would add $200-250 to the cost of the PS4.  On top of the hardware issues, you'd also need extra cooling capabilities, which would add another $100 or more to the cost of the PS4 and make it almost impossible for the PS4 to be anything smaller than a small refrigerator.

So in a way, you are right.  The PS4 is not going to be backward compatible because of money.  They don't want to put a console on store shelves that cost over a grand.  Basically, they want to put out a console that people can actually afford.

Why would adding the PS3 parts on to the PS4 be that expensive? I mean, your right, Sony would need to add cooling parts in addition to the chips but I mean it's not like they would need to add an extra Blu-ray drive or anything else.

Message 12 of 12 (40 Views)
0 Likes