Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: Ps4 being able to play older games

Feb 21, 2013
I agree with bob-maul. The Cell might be too complex to emulate, as much as I would love BC. The problem with Gaikai though is that you will have to buy your game again.

According to this more-reliable-than-wiki source, it will have DVD (and BluRay) capabilities which could mean BC for PS2 games: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 31 (171 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12639 posts

Feb 21, 2013

louie540 wrote:
I agree with bob-maul. The Cell might be too complex to emulate, as much as I would love BC. The problem with Gaikai though is that you will have to buy your game again.

According to this more-reliable-than-wiki source, it will have DVD (and BluRay) capabilities which could mean BC for PS2 games: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

What is bad about cloud gaming is that the US has mediocre online. This is because our country is huge and 1/4 of it is rural. Companies put good internet connection where there are people. We do have Govt corporations like the Tennessee Valley company which uses Govt money to put connections in places where comcast and att wont, so thats good. And the govt is trying to up the speed by 2020

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 31 (165 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 21, 2013
I also read that the system is supposed to support about 3000 ps3 titles which means that it will be backwards compatible
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 31 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Feb 21, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Good news! Your PS3 is not going to explode when the PS4 hits stores.

But your Wii U will. /semi-sarcasm

I certainly heard mine shake a little bit. 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 31 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Feb 21, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
I also read that the system is supposed to support about 3000 ps3 titles which means that it will be backwards compatible

Unless its done through Gaikai, your source should not be trusted.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 31 (153 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Feb 21, 2013
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

Was my source. Read it yourself
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 31 (151 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

Was my source. Read it yourself

You should read it again, because it mentions Gaikai and cloud several times

By combining PlayStation Network with Gaikai Inc’s cloud technology, it is SCE’s
goal to make free exploration possible for various games. In the future, when a gamer sees a
title of interest in PlayStation Store, they can immediately start playing a portion of the actual
game — not a stripped down version of the game. With Gaikai and PlayStation Store, gamers
will be able to experience appealing games and only pay for the games they actually love.
PlayStation Network and the cloud will offer additional value to PlayStation gamers. SCE is
exploring unique opportunities enabled by cloud technology with the long-term vision of
making PlayStation libraries including an incredible catalog of more than 3000 PS3 titles
that is unmatched in the industry, mostly ubiquitous on PS4

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 31 (140 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 21, 2013

After talking with many of my "Hardcore PlayStation Gamer" friends and post seeing the PlayStation 4 announcement, we have come up with a list of concerns we have.  It would be greatly appreciated it you could pass this list on to the proper channels.

1.  Removal of the Start and Select buttons - While we all agree that the new controller is stunning and beautifully designed, one of the smaller problems we had with it was the lack of start and select.  "Options" is not sufficient in attempting to play any old game on the console.  Playing older games threw Gaikai or otherwise might prove to be impossible without these buttons. Storngly recomend you change "options" back to Start and Select.

2.  Backward Compatibility - We cannot fathom why this was not important to Sony, as it was a major issue with the PS3 launch.  (Most of us have kept the original PlayStation 3 for that reason)  If you cannot include the hardware to run PS1, PS2, and PS3 games please allow the PS4 to obtain the software emulate them.  With 8 GB of memory, this should not be a problem.  Gaikai is nice, but with large collections of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, we would like to use them on the new system.  

Or if nothing else, release a high end SKU of the PS4 with backwards compatibility, we are sure many of your loyal fans would appreciate (and purchase) this.

2.5 Along with the "backwards compatibility" section, we believe it would be a smart move for Sony to allow the Dualshock 3 controllers to connect with the PS4 as well.  This would be great for anyone converting from a PlayStation 3 to a PlayStation 4 and does not have the money to purchase extras as well as a sign of good faith from the PlayStation brand.

3. Social Features - While posting your trophies or connecting to Facebook and various other social mediums throgh PlayStation are good ideas, please make all of these optional.  Many of the core gamers have no interest in these features and many, myself included do not use social networking at all. Thefore if it were mandaoty we could not play games.

4.  New Friends Methodology - While we found the idea of expanding upon the friends page interesting, we appreciated the privacy that PS3 provided.  DO NOT FORCE users to create accounts with their picture and name.  Once again, we stress, please make this optional.

5. New Operating System - The XMB was perfect.  Logically laid out with every application categorized into a sub category.  Because of this, it was both intuitive and easy to use.  While we only received a quick glimpse, the new operating system, seems to make far less sense.  Please allow customization so the more logically minded among us can use the new system with ease as well.  Perhaps an optional interface, closer to the PSVITA's?

6.  Camera - While this new Camera could be used for some interesting moments and ideas in gaming.  DO NOT make it mandatory.  Many of us do not nor have we ever liked motion or camera based games.  Please DO NOT require a camera to use the new controllers.

7.  Intuitive Downloads - Many of us, like to select games with no pattern or complete randomness, and in doing so do not like games to be downloaded for us.  This idea is a good one, but once again it should be optional.

8.  Ideas - With 8 Gigs of memory the PlayStation 4 is the perfect time for cross game voice chat, PSN ID tagged controllers, and a system that allows users to play music at all time along with the game they are playing.  Doing this would help PlayStation, to also become a hub for entertainment.

P.S. it would be really cool if the "PS" button on the center of the Dualshock 4 light up red. This would make it more iconic.

In conclusion, we have come to the consensus that while we enjoy many of the new PlayStation features we hope that you will consider adding some more and that you leave some optional. Aside from that you should know: keep up the great work! The specs are spectacular, we couldn't have asked for a better controller (almost) and the game line up looks awesome.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 31 (130 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Honestly, I think Sony is on the right track to finally abandon the Backwards Compatibility.

Odds are, unless someone is offering a stellar trade in deal on the PS3, I will be keeping mine.  This being said, I have no interest in going back as far as the PS1 games anymore.  The level of graphics, game play, and content on newer games makes going back less fun.

That is just my opinion, but one I had the PS1, I had no real interest in plugging in my Atari 7800 and playing some older games.

It would be nice to be able to play some PS3 games, or even PS2 games on a limited level.  At least until the library of PS4 games increases after launch.  I have been the owner of a new PS2 at one time, with NO games available for a good year, that were worth dropping $50.00 on.  The PS1 Backwards Compatibility made the transition a little easier, and less frustrating.

Over all, the cloud system for older games sounds good on premise.  Providing there is some leeway regarding costs.  I would not want to pay anything over $10 for a PS3 or $5 for a PS2 game I already have the disc for, and have paid egregiously for in the past already.

I still have by PS2, and will probably keep my PS3, so I am not too worried about it.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 31 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Feb 21, 2013

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/psn-transfers-ps4/

If PSN purchases don't carry over such as online passes, DLC, and what not, you can guarantee that backwards compatibility is a no go.  Especially with the purchase of Gaikai and wanting to stream every PS game through the cloud.  Which runs into another problem because not everyone will have a good enough connection for this...

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 31 (106 Views)
0 Likes