Splicer
80 posts

Re: Ps3 slim vs super slim need help on deciding

Apr 2, 2013
I'd say to get the Ps3 slim, instead of the super slim. Now this is all based on personal experience. I've had it for about a year now and it runs perfectly. The connection speed is great, including downloading and freezing doesn't occur too often. Personally, it froze on me only twice so far throughout the little over 362 day-life of my Ps3 slim.

So based on my personal experience, I would say Ps3 slim is most reliable of the two. Besides, you'll have a warranty in case of any defects in a reasonable time span. Though, correct me if I'm mistaken, I believe you could pay for a longer warranty, at least at Best Buy.

Whatever choice you make though, I wish you the best of luck with it. Smiley Happy
Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 21 of 39 (6,008 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Apr 2, 2013

I have the Super Slim.

No problems.

It is WHISPER quiet. And came with 2 games and 30 days of Plus.

I also bought Sony's extended warranty, so i now have 3 years of protection.

No matter what console you buy or where you buy it from, you can buy an extended warranty from Sony.

Here's some info. 

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm

I think I paid $45 for the 2 year extension because I am a Plus subscriber. ($60 for non-subs)

Furiously Chaosing
Message 22 of 39 (6,005 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12313 posts

Apr 2, 2013

Do you like stuck discs?

If so do not buy the super slim.

The top loading disc tray seems impervious to stuck discs.

That alone would have eliminated some of the only problems the PS3 has ever had.

I have not heard anything bad about the super slims yet.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 23 of 39 (5,980 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

I prefer the disc slot found on the fat PS3’s and the regular slims. I don't like the sliding door found on the super slim. Disc slot is more premium while the super slims sliding door is too cheap. I see no advantage in having the sliding door. It's a step backwards in my opinion. Many people who worry about their disc getting stuck inside the disc drive in the slims probably don't know that there is a screw under the disc drive found on the slims and all you have to do is rotate the screw and the disc comes out. This is my opinion of course.

Message 24 of 39 (5,978 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Apr 2, 2013

I just wish that none of them beeped when being turned on Smiley Happy

No ninja gaming at night.

All kidding aside, one thing that I noticed about my slim model is that on occasion it seems to produce a cracking sound as it cools down. Almost as though the plastic is settling from getting too warm. I have no experience with the super slim model to offer an opinion on it.

Message 25 of 39 (5,975 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Glad I found this thread. I am looking to buy a PS3 & I didn't know there was a newer slim model and a difference between them.

Raptr Gamercard
Message 26 of 39 (5,944 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I have the super slim, it runs perfectly well and I love it! I've also read online that it's cooling system is better than the slim.

Aesthetically, there is nothing wrong with the Super Slim but that's just me. Some like that matte finish in the slim while some like the shiny finish of super slim. The real difference is the disc slot which really looks "premium" like the other one said and i agree but both have pro's and cons (the disc slot & top loading tray) be sure to look it up before making a decision.

Also the slim is quite heavy and longer.

Message 27 of 39 (5,888 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 4, 2013

the cooling in the superslim is in no where as efficient as the cooling in the original slim models...i have been in both systems and the SS is no where even close...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 28 of 39 (5,886 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Apr 4, 2013

kythunder wrote:

the cooling in the superslim is in no where as efficient as the cooling in the original slim models...i have been in both systems and the SS is no where even close...

what do you mean by not as efficient? As someone that is looking to purchase a PS3 I want to know all the pro/con feedback between the two. thanks

Raptr Gamercard
Message 29 of 39 (5,884 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Apr 4, 2013

kythunder wrote:

Are you sure? Here is the link where i read it. (http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/08/playstation-3-review-late-2012/)

"An entire horizontal half of the rear is dedicated fan space, and the bottom is framed by openings, giving the internals plenty of space to breathe."

Message 30 of 39 (5,878 Views)
0 Likes