Dec 13 2012
By: MrBrittain1 First Son 3 posts

Ps3 slim vs super slim need help on deciding

37 replies 73037 views Edited Dec 13, 2012

been wanting to get a ps3 for awhile now and just found out there is a new one. I dont know what to think of it because i think that the super slim might break on me or not be as good as runing games as the ps3 slim. so which do you people like more id love your feedback on both slim and super slim. Pros and the Cons for both.

Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 38 (73,037 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Re: Ps3 slim vs super slim need help on deciding

Dec 13, 2012

Hi there and welcome,

There are many advantages in comparison for the two latest PS3 console versions. Have you tried searching the internet for all of the common advantages and disadvantages? In my opinion though, user's here know of the common & uncommon ones. Unfortunately, I don't have 'onhand experience' with the 'super-slim' (until I decide to replace my current console).  Others here, will give you the comparison info, you are seeking.

Just a reminder...For all PS3 consoles (or anything that contains mechanical working parts), there's a small percentage of defective units, right out of the box. There's nothing a user can do except exchange it right away for a working one, after purchase.

Get a PS3 for a 'multitude of perks'...oh and join us all within! :smileywink:

Message 2 of 38 (73,015 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Dec 13, 2012

If I had the money for it, I would have gotten the original Fat with the maximum GB.  Alas, I did not, so when I finally bid adieu to the PS2, I went with the 250G Slim.

I do not have backwards compatibility for the PS2, but neither does the Super Slim.  This was not a big deal for me, as I was done playing the PS2 games anyway.  That and again, I was looking for the most HDD for the money I have.

I have heard issues with the Super Slim, but then again, the Fat and Slim had their issues as well.  It is actually hit or miss, as is with any electronic device.  The thing is, you only ever here the complaints about something.  It is in people's nature; if everything is OK, then there is nothing to talk about.  Give them something to complain about, and look out.

I do believe the Super slim put the USB ports on the back of the unit.  Not sure if this would be a factor for you.  With the Slim, I only have two on the from.  The old Fats had four in the front.  Again, it would depend on whether you wanted to use them or not.  For the controllers, the only time I plug them into the system, is to sink them when I get a new one.  Otherwise, I have a Duracel two controller tree for charging.  They work great, and negate the necessity of plugging in to charge.

One last note, as far as the USB; I only use mine on a regular basis for my wireless keyboard and mouse.  I do not game with them, I use them in the menus.  I don't like the snap on keyboard for the controller, and I HATE, using the controller to select through the on screen keyboard.  I can type a lot faster with the keyboard.

Back on topic though; the decision, is ultimately up to you.  Do some research, take advice here with a grain of salt :smileywink:.  Which ever one you pick, I am certain you will enjoy it.

Have fun, welcome to the Forum.

Moble

Message 3 of 38 (73,011 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Dec 13, 2012

The Super Slim is nice and light weight  almost the same as the slim but lighter i guess,i recently got it since i never owned a ps3 before but i had relatives with the older versions , its well made and the top lid is easy slide with just a touch with your finger, and the USB ports are on front as usual like the other ps3 and it doesn't really heat up and the 500gigs is nice, so that is a plus for the same amount of a 320gig, so in my opinion PS3 Super Slim is better, plus incase your disc would get stuck one day , ps3  super slim won't give you problems i yet to get any and ofc as i mentioned the lid can be opend both ways, just a touch or push the button.

Message 4 of 38 (73,006 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Well ther you have it then. :smileyhappy:

Moble

Message 5 of 38 (73,003 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
34152 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

MrBrittain1 wrote:

been wanting to get a ps3 for awhile now and just found out there is a new one. I dont know what to think of it because i think that the super slim might break on me or not be as good as runing games as the ps3 slim. so which do you people like more id love your feedback on both slim and super slim. Pros and the Cons for both.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

moble's response above is a good one, the only thing I'll add is that personally I feel that the newer "Super-Slim feels less well made, aesthetically I think it looks cheaper too, but again that's really only my personal view.

Message 6 of 38 (73,001 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6557 posts

Dec 13, 2012
Whichever choice you make, you'll still be gaming on the ps3 and playing awesome games.
Message 7 of 38 (72,988 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 13, 2012

First off you can't go wrong either way. I have 1 of each of the three styles of systems and love them all. As far as deciding between the slim and super slim its really personal preference. Both have performed flawlessly for me. People bash the top loader of super slim but it functions fine. The super slim may be a hair louder than slim but it does seem to run a bit cooler. The wifi seems to hold great on both. My original fat unit drops it a fair amount. From Sony the slim maxes out at 320gb where the super slim goes to 500gb. You can always swap the hard drive out though. There's some good bundles out currently. Check around and pick the best one for your interests. I highly recommend PS+. The cloud saves and the instant game collection are a worth the investment. Good luck and enjoy all that the PS3 offers.

PS4 launch 500gb
60gb b/c upgraded to 500gb
Pulse Elite headset
500gb AC3 super slim
Vita wifi and PS plus member
PS+ member
Message 8 of 38 (72,979 Views)
MVP Support
6557 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

dknecht wrote:

First off you can't go wrong either way. I have 1 of each of the three styles of systems and love them all. As far as deciding between the slim and super slim its really personal preference. Both have performed flawlessly for me. People bash the top loader of super slim but it functions fine. The super slim may be a hair louder than slim but it does seem to run a bit cooler. The wifi seems to hold great on both. My original fat unit drops it a fair amount. From Sony the slim maxes out at 320gb where the super slim goes to 500gb. You can always swap the hard drive out though. There's some good bundles out currently. Check around and pick the best one for your interests. I highly recommend PS+. The cloud saves and the instant game collection are a worth the investment. Good luck and enjoy all that the PS3 offers.

Yeah i've noticed that the fat60gb model have terrible wifi signal. Takes me literally 30 minutes to download a 50mb patch wheras it took me less than a minute to do on my Slim model on a 15mbps connection.

Message 9 of 38 (72,973 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Ok thanks for everyones opinions I hope that I can Make my decision of of this but one more thing to add if someone will please answer this last question. I have been hearing more and more problems with the super slim such as games freeze more often or that there is more lag even on one player games. Is this true or are people just bashing on the ps3? 

Also I realize that the console will have problems everything does because i own an xbox as well and it as its ups and downs, but i just want to know which one you people would pick slim or super slim? 

Message 10 of 38 (72,900 Views)