Feb 27 2013
By: uffdabock First Son 6 posts

Ps3 slim overheating, thermal paste replacement didn't work.

[ Edited ]
2 replies 1702 views Edited Feb 27, 2013

I have bought my PS Slim new 3 years ago and have used it sparingly.  A month ago i got a warning message that my PS3 was overheating and moments later it shut down.  After my ps3 shut down I let it sit for 1/2 hour and then started it up again.  Then my fan got really loud and stayed loud until I shut it off.  If I let my ps3 stay off for a while (let it cool down completely) it powers up silently and it is so quiet I am not even sure the fan is on at all.  When it is silent there is hot air coming out of the vents and I get concerned.  Sometimes it takes hours until I get the warning message.  If I ever power it up before it has cooled off completely the fan runs at max speed and then shortly after the air coming out of the vents is warm and normal.  Even though its annoyingly loud I wouldn't mind it if it was running at max full time because at least I know my system is staying cool enough.  I never get the overheating message when my fan is running at max, only after using it a while with the fan running silent and with the hotter air.

I decided to open up the system following a detailed youtube video.  There was NO DUST in my system, kinda surprised because I rarely vacuum it but I know that inst the issue.  I store it in a cool apartment with plenty of space all around it.  I got to see how terrible the thermal paste looked (was like a spiderweb).  I have applied and reapplied thermal paste many times when I build pc's and after extended use they never look that bad (probably because I use arctic silver).  So I put everything back together and my ps3 started right up (phew).  I thought my problem was fixed because for a week of using it off and on I never had the fan go to max and I never got a "system overheating message"  I was concerned though because the rear vents were still putting out hot air and the fan was basically silent.  Now however, it's back to shutting down from overheating and it's back to forcing the fan on max if I turn it on before it's cooled.

I am sure if I would re apply the thermal paste again it wouldn't fix the issue because I have experience with thermal paste and know how much to use.  The only thing I could think could be the problem is the fan.  From the past I remember my ps3's fan to be running at medium where you could hear it but it was not that noticeable.  So either the fan is malfunctioning or my other theory was that the ps3's fan controller is not working right.

1)  Has anyone else encountered my problem where it seems like the fan isn't on at all?  But you know it works because when it's on max it can run stable for hours at a time with no issues, other then being annoying?
2)  Is there any way to force the fan to run at a certain speed at all times?
3)  Would any replacement fan allow me to manually control the speed?

Message 1 of 3 (1,702 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: Ps3 slim overheating, thermal paste replacement didn't work.

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

how did you apply the paste? if you spread it you did it wrong and plus sometimes reapplying will not do much unless you lap the heatsinks,i now do this with all units i work one and makes on heck of a difference  and then again it could also be you fan controller being screwy..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 3 (1,683 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Ps3 slim overheating, thermal paste replacement didn't work.

Feb 27, 2013

The purists say that "the only way to do it" is to squeeze out a rice shaped amount and then it will spread.  But I have seen people post much success with spreading it manually.  Most of the videos on youtube show people spreading it.  I spread it and I guess I could try again by letting the pressure spread it this time.  Maybe my system is an extreme case and I have to be perfect about it's application or go to length such as lapping the heatsinks idk.  I do know that not everyone who has fixed their ps3 took those precautions but maybe i have to.  I still think it could be my fan controller though.

Message 3 of 3 (1,678 Views)
0 Likes