May 17 2011
By: CHRGNTHRU First Son 22 posts

Ps3 screen flickering

12 replies 23116 views Edited May 17, 2011

So ive been having some issues with my PS3. When playing some games the screen will flickeras in the picture cuts out and come right back. Bluray movies are fine, it just seems to happen with games. Killzone 3 can be pretty bad, Battlrfield 2 has some. I even had Lil Big Planet Prehistoric Moves do it once or twice. Gt5, Mortal Kombat dont seem to have an issue. I have a slim PS3 hooked up with an HDMI cable to a 42" Vizio xvt3D tv. Any idea what the problem may be? I already tried changing the cable same thing seems to be happening.

Message 1 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: Ps3 screen flickering

May 17, 2011

I would try connecting using a component cable and see if the same thing happens. Even try composite.

Message 2 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

May 17, 2011

CHRGNTHRU wrote:

So ive been having some issues with my PS3. When playing some games the screen will flickeras in the picture cuts out and come right back. Bluray movies are fine, it just seems to happen with games. Killzone 3 can be pretty bad, Battlrfield 2 has some. I even had Lil Big Planet Prehistoric Moves do it once or twice. Gt5, Mortal Kombat dont seem to have an issue. I have a slim PS3 hooked up with an HDMI cable to a 42" Vizio xvt3D tv. Any idea what the problem may be? I already tried changing the cable same thing seems to be happening.

did you try lowering your resolution to 720p, just to see if it still does it, 2 other things a bit off topic, battlefield 2 is not on the ps3, only on pc, bf bad company 2 is however on there, just pointing out they are 2 completely different games. also how good are vizio's 3d tvs?

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 3 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 17, 2011

yeah, my bad. Bad company is the one. yeah, after work im going to switch the resolution to 720p. Not real excited about that since i would imagine the quality of blurays may drop a bit. im happy with this tv. Great color and the 3d works great for me.

Message 4 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

May 17, 2011

CHRGNTHRU wrote:

yeah, my bad. Bad company is the one. yeah, after work im going to switch the resolution to 720p. Not real excited about that since i would imagine the quality of blurays may drop a bit. im happy with this tv. Great color and the 3d works great for me.

good to know, another quick question, do you have your normal resolution at 1080p or 1080p 3D? it may just have to deal with the 3d if you have it set to that.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 5 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 18, 2011

It doesntl have a option to set to a certain resolution, at least i dont see one. there is a screen mode which was set to normal. ill set it to wide and see if it does anything.

Message 6 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 18, 2011

Ok, so I tried setting the screen mode thing and nothing. I did however turn "game" mode off and I played a solid 20 minutes of Uncharted 2 which was giving me flickering as well and it seems to have stopped. Hopefully that's the case otherwise I'll have to call Sony.

Message 7 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

May 18, 2011

umm hate to say this but... my old PS3 started suffering the flickers and then it froze at the start-up screen and is officially dead.  And that was a great PS3 system too, FULL PS1/PS2 backwards compatible, and you know how impossible it is to get one of those now.

and i did everything from changing the resolution all the way down to 420p, RBG cables and nothing helped in the end

Message 8 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

May 23, 2011

Don't think it's gonna die. It's working great now. No flicker so far.

Message 9 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 10, 2011

I had a similiar problem with my ps3 slim during the xmb menu and qriocity, i would have white flashes half way across the screen, sometimes full screen, people blame the t.v. the hdmi cable whatever, it is the only device connected to my t.v. that does it.  people say buy a more expensive hdmi cable, which I don't need cuz i know the little secret about hdmi cables from working at a electronics store, its all hype a hdmi cord is a hdmi cord, its like buying high octane gas for your car, its unessesary  "higher" end hdmi cords are no better a hdmi chord is a hdmi chord.  End result i just sent my ps3 into warranty repair.  The things is you shouldn't have to switch to component cables are do this and that.  You shouldn't have to do anything, the ps3 is supposed to do fine whatever your set up is period.

Message 10 of 13 (23,116 Views)
0 Likes