Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
7 posts

Re: Ps3 back from the dead?

Apr 27, 2013

well I had the refurb ps3 from sony for 2 years and the fan was starting to get real loud about 20 minutes into gameplay so i thought it might be time to switch the thermal paste and get some new thermal pads in, I didnt get any reflow or reball. Ive taken apart a ps3 before and did the (now deemed bad for your ps3) heat gun reflow which lasted a week so Im pretty confident in just checking whether they actually did the upgrade or not. And Im definitely not gonna send it to Sony, I want this ps3 repaired.
How long to reballs typically last? I would hope for atleast 3-4 years cuz Im not gonna get a ps4 until they work out its backwards compatibility issue, either it be streaming the game or not.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 19 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Apr 27, 2013

Most services that offer Reball, have a six month to one year warranty (Gophermods does). That should give you an idea of how long the repair will last. I have never heard of a Reball lasting 3 years. The longest I have heard of was about 20 months. 

Gophermods is a good service. I'm sure they did the work they claimed. Sometimes the motherboard simply has suffered too much damage. Replacing the thermal paste is best to do before you get the YLOD. It's not effective after you get it. 

Reball is expensive. Between what you have already paid and what you will pay, you could have bought a new PS3. Maybe you should look at buying a used 60GB and hope it lasts long enough--until you are ready to buy a PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 19 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6381 posts

Apr 27, 2013

back_from_the_dead_parex.jpg

happy gaming in your future

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 19 (81 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Ps3 sucks ! well,the phat 1s lol
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 19 (72 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3100 posts

Apr 28, 2013
I have a Phat PS3 and its working like new so RawrRawrr check yourself
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 19 (68 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
968 posts

Apr 28, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Docshady, if you're going to post make it worthwhile.

My good sir, If posting a picture of a cat dressed in a shark costume riding a roomba chasing after a duckling isn't worthwhile, then nothing is!

doc shady signature
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 19 (60 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

Dr_N-Gin wrote:

So I was using a refurb 60gb ps3 from sony after my first one got the ylod back in 2011. Last month I decided to get thermal paste and thermal pad upgrades from gophermods because it had been about 2 years since I got it. I get it back with the 19 bladed fan, the more efficient power supply, arctic cooling mx-4, and thermal pad upgrades bla bla bla but in less than a months time it got the ylod. I was planning to take it apart to see if gophermods actually replaced the thermal paste but turned it on one last time and it magically turned on!!!
 All I did was take the hardrive out and back in because Ive heard that is a cause of the ylod, but it didnt work. About 5 days later it did!!
What the heck? how does that even work? I thought the processors solder was melted (or whatever the solder does to cause the ylod) but clearly that wasnt the case. Has this happened to anyone else? I am somewhat scared to actually play some games for fear it may get the ylod again.

Hello Dr_N-Gin:

What you have in your hands is a Sony "REFURB".  It's true what was said on this thread, that the YLOD'ed unit  ISN'T really saying to you WHY it is YLOD (that's why sometimes a jiggle of the HDD, 5 minutes with a hairdryer, etc, all work sometimes.)

But when Sony gives you a "Refurb", they never tell you WHY it was refurbed.  "REFURBED FROM WHAT?"  You don't know if it was a previous YLOD, a bludrive prob, or in your case A UNIT THAT WAS MAYBE A HEARTBEAT AWAY FROM YLOD again.  So you'll have to experiment with repairs to see which one finally gets the refurb fixed.

...Some of our replies here are technical and cool and correct about the Reflow repair versus the Reball repair of a unit that is YLOD.  Some are correct about how reflows COULD go YLOD again in a matter of days or months, and that you could EXPERIMENT with half a dozen other cool repairs on your own or by a repair place that's earned good kudos to see what finally works.  

But WE ARE ALL IN SOME MAJOR TOUGH money times right now,...so EXPERIMENTING to find a fix that works means that "this *bleepin* jazz get's EXPENSIVE".   MANY OF THE "REFURBS" FROM SONY....well, TURN OUT TO BE LEMONS. 

Better to use your time researching Amazon (Ebay's better) for a used console that sounds like it hasn't been abused.  Just DON'T  BUY ANYTHING THAT SAYS MANUFACTURER REFURB unit.

:smileysurprised:Hey, and DON'T rely on data Back-up! 

Back-ups WILL NOT pass ALL your data onto another PS3.   Purchase your replacement unit and do an ether-cable Data Transfer.  Till you get the new unit, leave the Refurb alone (don't even play it much--might speed up its death before you find a replacment to transfer to).  Copy old Backup data to a new unit ONLY if for some reason Data Transfer is impossible.

You have plenty of choices to fit your budget on the replacement PS3 (get a slim if you don't need B/C, get a used 80GB instead of used 60GB, etc.)     

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (50 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Guess I will just look for either a new 60gb online ( and try not to go broke lol) or just buy a used one that sounds good.  Here to the fully backwards compatible ps4 a year after launch!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 19 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Apr 30, 2013

:smileywink: Rock-ON, Dr_N-Gin!  

You won't go broke as long as you remember how much you paid for your first PS3 retail.  Even though some PS3 versions ARE collector's items, there's still no need to pay CRAZY price for a replacement, even a sealed unopened B/C Fat. 

Check out my thread for B/C PS3 owners if b/c is something you still want to retain.   

You may find some suggested $$ that others paid, or an owner who's been respecting his unit and is willing to part with it.   ...Never know.

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes