Nov 02 2011
By: mrabmx First Son 16 posts

Ps3 and Flash/Hulu.

14 replies 842 views Edited Nov 2, 2011

So I'm thinking of buying a 160GB PS3 some time very soon and I was wondering if the ps3's web browser can play flash videos/sites with hulu videos attached, like wwe.com for example. Since I been hearing that hulu and ps3 don't readily mesh, I don't know if it makes a difference that the video is on wwe.com and not hulu.com, I know it's from hulu because when I go full screen I see the hulu mark on the bottom right corner.

Message 1 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Re: Ps3 and Flash/Hulu.

Nov 2, 2011

The web browser does support flash, but not sure what version. It might work, but then again it might not.

Ps3 Is the best console, the best hardware and a much better looking console too!
Message 2 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 2, 2011

Can anyone confirm this?  I would really like to know, it would be much appreciated if someone tried it on their ps3.

Message 3 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 3, 2011

i'm pretty confident in saying that it won't work through the browser. Hulu made sure that it won't work becuase you now have to pay for Hulu+ now. This is the case with any system or device that plays to your TV. Its a licensing issue with the content streaming it to your TV.

Message 4 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 3, 2011

Even videos that are on another website? I didn't mean directly from hulu.com.  I can watch it without paying for it(on pc), I think the site(wwe.com) pays for it to have it on. The only difference would be the web browser. I have connected my pc to my tv before and I have seen the videos(with ads, of course) on the tv, although with some lag due to my weak processor, which is why I want to see if it works on the ps3.

Message 5 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7219 posts

Nov 3, 2011

As far as I know, the PS3 browser is not up to date to play Hulu videos.  It wouldn't matter whether it's embedded in another website or not (those videos are free, and you could watch them on hulu.com also).  You could subscribe to Hulu+ or use a program like PlayOn to stream videos from your PC to PS3.

Message 6 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 3, 2011

Well that blows. I don't get why they would be able to play on a pc but not on a ps3, I mean both can be hooked up to a HDTV. On a different but relevant subject, I never got the whole idea of "pc to ps3 streaming." Care to enlighten me on the basics? Also are there any free programs to do this?

Message 7 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11678 posts

Nov 3, 2011

it's cause adobe (flash) doesn't work well with others, including sonys ps3. for a little while, they flat-out refused to update the flash on the ps3.

hulu videos will work on the ps3, but through the dedicated app that you can download from the ps store, which means you might have to have a subscription which wouldn't help you in the situation of wwe.com using hulu for it's videos.

there are a few free programs you can install on your pc to stream things to your ps3, i use tversity. you can google it and find more as well. you just download them to your pc, then make your pc and ps3 recognize each other and then you can stream pretty much anything to your ps3, it'll do the coding on it's own (tversity & others).

Message 8 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 4, 2011

So if I use tversity it will stream the embedded hulu video from the site to my ps3? Will it use the ps3's cpu/gfx card or will it use pc's? Cause the reason why I need it on ps3 is cause my comp is weak and can't handle much. Also is tversity free? If not, how much does it cost?

Message 9 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11678 posts

Nov 4, 2011

mrabmx wrote:

So if I use tversity it will stream the embedded hulu video from the site to my ps3? Will it use the ps3's cpu/gfx card or will it use pc's? Cause the reason why I need it on ps3 is cause my comp is weak and can't handle much. Also is tversity free? If not, how much does it cost?

it will stream content, yes, but i don't know if it'll stream the content you want it to. from my understanding of your post, wwe.coms' videos are streamed from hulu, then streamed to you, i don't know if this will work, but you can try. tversity has a free version and a premium version, the free one is fine for most people, it is for me anyway.

you're still going to need your pc to do all of this though. you'll just have to download it and try it out. if it doesn't work or fit your needs, you can always just uninstall it off of your pc.

Message 10 of 15 (842 Views)
0 Likes