Apr 24 2012
By: shlok17 First Son 5 posts

Ps3 Red blinking light shutdown (NOT OF DEATH)

10 replies 10478 views Edited Apr 24, 2012

Hi ,

Actually I've got a fat 80 gb Ps3. I'm experienncing issues with it... It first started with MW3. At the begging I loved playing it I went up to Prestige 1 around lvl 30 and then my ps3 shuted down suddenly and there was like 3 beeps and then a red light started to blink. I thought it was overheating so I let it cool down for around 1 week ( Was it a little bit too much ? xD ). It shutdown again after it. And now it shut down always when I'm playing MW3. My friend lend me Mw2 to see if it will shutdown on it and it did. For Battlefield 3 it shutdown after 4 hours of game. Recently it shutdown like  2 minutes after it start up in the morning . I don't know what should I do. Please help me :/ I tried to erase the Game date and did the updates again. I went to safe mode menu and did Option 3,4 and 5. And it still shutdown... My warranty is out and even if it was still on I wouldn't be able to use it because I opened it to repair my "on/off" button and my "eject" one.  Please help me.

Message 1 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: Ps3 Red blinking light shutdown (NOT OF DEATH)

Apr 24, 2012

Sounds like an overheating issue that, if left as it is right now, can lead to YLOD. You will need a repair. I recommend endlesselectronics.org.

Note: I am not a spokesperson for Endless Electronics. I have just had my PS3 repaired by them after getting YLOD, and am just just perfectly happy with the service, so this is my own personal recommendation based on prior experience.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 2 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 24, 2012

the thermal paste has dried up on the heatsinks,if your comfortable taking your ps3 apart it is a very easy fix,just get some thermal compound and its cheap,get some arctic silver 5,mx-4 or whatever and look at some tutorials on youtube and do not spread the compound like some vids show but use a peadrop amount..it is a very simple fix and you will save yourself a huge headache.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 24, 2012

I will try doing this but could you give me a good video showing how to do it correctly plz . And why some people do use a heating gun and others just use a paper towel and alchol on it? Thx  for answering quickly like this

Message 4 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 24, 2012

the heatgun method is for reflowing once the system gets the ylod and is just temporary,you dont have ylod but you are close to it if you dont do what i said,i can find you a tutorial for doing the thermal compound but need to know your model number as some ps3's are different than others..

Message 5 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Apr 24, 2012

Go with Arctic Ceramique, its made for large heat sinks like the PS3 has. Heat gun method is just awful.

Message 6 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 24, 2012

no do not use ceramique compound,thats what most computer shops use so you will  be back for more service,i wouldnt personally use that crap for a old 486..i have actually seen that crap come to what looks like it boiling and then once it cools its like clay,i wouldnt use that for any high heat device..

Message 7 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 26, 2012

My ps3 is a 80 GB , CECHK03. I bought it with a little big planet pack ...

Message 8 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 27, 2012

Ok so I just went to a shop and I asked for an AS5 he told me that it was out of stock but that he had a lot more better than that. So I asked him if he had some that could work on my overheated Ps3 he told me it was more a hardware failure than a thermal compound problem. I think that he thought that my ps3 was YLOD something like this but mine isn't. Now I'm not sure of what to do .

Anyway I went on this thread which looks pretty well made. http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/781243
Take a look at it and tell me if the thing about the AS5 is true or not plz. And I think that unmounting the Ps3 will be easy but how about mounting it again especially for the heatsink part plz find a good tut for me man.

Message 9 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 27, 2012

AS5 is OK to use, it does have the issue that it takes 200 hours to cure. I recommend MX-4 since it has no cure time and a better thermal transfer rating.

I do recommend you have a repair place fix your PS3, because like you suggesting putting your model back togeather properly has been problematic for some.

You can read more about it through a guide that I wrote (based on the thread you linked to), the link is directly below:

Message 10 of 11 (10,478 Views)
0 Likes