First Son
5 posts

Re: Ps3 Bluray Drive Problem

Apr 22, 2010

You definitely think the blu-ray laser is bad?  Even though it works for the first few minutes? I would think that if it was the laser, no games, dvds, blu-ray discs would ever be visible on the X-Media Bar.  I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I don't want to buy the wrong part.

Are there any other tests I could conduct to be sure?

Alexander Orion
Message 11 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 16, 2010

I was having problems with some blu-rays playing.  I had a season and disc 2 played fine but 1 and 3 did not.  I did your steps and now they are all working!!  Great advice and thanks for the post!!!

Message 12 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 16, 2010

WOWW. I have the same EXACT issue with my ps3. Is yours the 60gig? I got mine around lanuch time.

Message 13 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 15, 2010

Got a question for all of you...

Got my Fat 40gb CECHG01 as soon as it came out (Spider Man 3 bundle). Have had 0 problems to this point (2+ years). Was watching a blu-ray today and it froze. I got back to the home screen without restarting. But the movie icon in the video XMB menu disappeared. The disc loading (pulsing dial icon) icon in the top right corner next to the date/clock is constantly showing/pulsing.Trying now to diagnose the issue. I have a couple of ideas from fishing through these forums: dirty lens, burnt lens, bad laser, bad drive motor. I can insert and eject discs fine. I do not think the disc spins at all after I insert it (orientation of the disc label is in the same position as when I insert it). After I insert the disc, I hear a little "ribbit" sort of noise and then nothing. I can hear a faint spinning sound, but I think that is the HDD spinning and not the disc. My next step is to cut her open and clean the lens with some alcohol, as i did with my PS2. I am just wondering what this symptom indicates. It would seem to me that the drive motor (disc spinner) is shot. But, if the lens is dirty/burnt or if the laser is bad, should the disc still spin? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 14 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 15, 2010

It sounds like the same problem I had with my blu ray drive.  I tried cleaning the lens first, but it didn't work.  I would agree with you that a dirty lens would not necessarily cause the drive spindle to not spin. 

I ended up going online (ebay) and purchasing an entire blu ray drive, removing its laser assembly and replacing it within my original blu ray drive.  Be careful if you are going to try this.  The components are delicate and the re-assembly is very precise.  Also, the controller board (circuit board that is attached to the outside of the blu-ray drive) is married to the PS3's motherboard.  YOU CANNOT USE A DIFFERENT BLU RAY CONTROLLER BOARD.  It won't work.  So if you end up removing the entire blu-ray drive and replacing it, you must remove the controller board from the bad drive and install it on the new (refurb) drive before installing it in the PS3.  Does that make sense?

With a little patience, this job is not that difficult and ultimately cheaper than sending back to Sony.  The drive from Ebay cost me about $70.  But, as you probably know, if you attempt this, your warranty is voided.

For more detailed instructions on how to replace blu-ray drive (or laser assembly) in a PS3 or for countless other hacks, check out this guy's YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/junker15 - I followed his tutorials and fixed my PS3.  It's been working with a replaced blu-ray drive for about 3 months now.

Alexander Orion
Message 15 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 17, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned the bluray lens with alcohol and qtip just in case, so I know how to disassemble/assemble it. Just to clarify though, if I buy a new bluray drive I CANNOT just unhook the entire old drive and plug in the new drive. I would need to detach the circuit board on the outside of the old drive's aluminum case and attach it in place of the board on the new bluray drive?

Message 16 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 17, 2010

Yes.  That is correct.  You cannot just swap the bluray drive in, you must install your original bluray controller board onto the new drive before placing it in the PS3.  Good luck.

Did cleaning the lens work?

Alexander Orion
Message 17 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 15, 2010

This worked for me too! Great stuff!

Message 18 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 15, 2010

Now you win.  My PS3 is still working with the replaced drive - almost 4 months now (knock on wood).

Alexander Orion
Message 19 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Aug 15, 2010

tpo814 wrote:

Yeah I am having a simular problem!!!!! My playstation isonly 8 months old and now it won't work. No blu ray, cd, dvd, mp3, data video. Nothing I have tried them all! My problem came just after the new COD modernwarfare 2 came out and they FORCED me to update it to play it! No they want me to pay $150 to get it fixed. SORRY my playstation has not moved more the 4 inches since the day I brought it home. It was never tinkered with in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FOURM!!! Just b/c I lost a little pice of paper.

*Note* I talked to them as soon as it happened and the guy on the phone told me that my serial number had matched up with a group of PS3 that where produced beck in Jan 09.

Lets put one and two together and..........

WHALA my PS3 is only 10 months old so HOW IS MY WARRANTY UP???? I GOT ONE YEAR!! (It is an internal problem at that!!!!)

If your PS3 is 8 months old. Sony will fix it for free. PS3 has 1 year warranty.

Message 20 of 28 (2,256 Views)
0 Likes