Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 12 2009
By: Srooney16 First Son 1 posts

Ps3 Bluray Drive Problem

27 replies 22367 views Edited Nov 12, 2009

PS3 will not play Bluray discs/ps3 games...I know there is topics about this but i think my situation is different..
When i insert the blu ray disc, it will spin...then play the "touchstone" intro...but then go to the invalid disc (80029906) screen
So it kinda sounds like the bluray drive is functioning..cause its a brand new disc
Also I had it apart and cleaned the bluray lens once
Does it sound like the drive is toast? or should i try cleaning it again?

PS3 is out of the warranty period.
Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Ps3 Bluray Drive Problem

Nov 25, 2009

Yeah I am having a simular problem!!!!! My playstation is only 8 months old and now it won't work. No blu ray, cd, dvd, mp3, data video. Nothing I have tried them all! My problem came just after the new COD modernwarfare 2 came out and they FORCED me to update it to play it! No they want me to pay $150 to get it fixed. SORRY my playstation has not moved more the 4 inches since the day I brought it home. It was never tinkered with in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FOURM!!! Just b/c I lost a little pice of paper.

*Note* I talked to them as soon as it happened and the guy on the phone told me that my serial number had matched up with a group of PS3 that where produced beck in Jan 09.

Lets put one and two together and..........

WHALA my PS3 is only 10 months old so HOW IS MY WARRANTY UP???? I GOT ONE YEAR!! (It is an internal problem at that!!!!)

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
265 posts

Dec 2, 2009
SAME PROBLEM IT ONLY PLAYS PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES AND I HAVE A 60 GIG FROM LOUNCH SYSTEM. WHAT GIVES WITH DRIVE PROBLEM
Gamer Indepth Podcast
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
378 posts

Dec 2, 2009

ok, so i posted this earlier to maybe help some people and just got bashed on. But i had a friend that had the same problem, with a 60 gig model as well. It appeared to be his blu-ray drive too because dvds would work, but he did this and his system now works completely no problems so its worth a try to save ya'll some money.

Step 1: Put your system into standby mode. (red light on)

Step 2: Hold down your power button until it turns on and then off again. Then take your finger off of it.

Step 3:  Hold down the power button again until the system makes two beeps in a row and quickly remove your finger. (if it shuts off again just try this step again)

Step 4: A menu will come up with a list of actions you can take. CHOOSE STEP 3!!! WITH THIS STEP NO DATA WILL BE LOST! DO NOT CHOOSE ANY OTHER STEP!

Your system will check for file errors or corrupt data and fix it. It has worked for people already, any questions just ask. Good Luck, hope it works!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (22,367 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5931 posts

Dec 2, 2009

sounds like your blu ray laser is fried.

my drive stopped reading all types of discs. and as long as the disc icon stills comes up in the corner or the disc even loads somewhat then that is vore then enough indication that it is surely the laser.

now i have been to college for 2 years of computer engineering but this can be fixed by somebody with no experience. there is no saudering or anything technical required. i found a local georgia ebay seller who had the laser with a warranty so i bought it and installed it and my drive works lovely now for 50 bucks.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 4, 2010

I'm having a similar problem with my 80GB model I bought in Sept. '07... Was watcing Snatch on Blu-ray today and it just froze. Took out the disc, tried two other BDs and same problem. Pretty lame but it is technology so this stuff does happen.

To that end, I know my warranty is long over. That being said, I do not see the point in spending ~$150 to get a refurbed console when I could just spend 3 bills and get a new slim with the 120GB. I do, however, would like to try and locate a new Blu-ray drive on eBay. Any specific model I should look for?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (22,367 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Jan 4, 2010

Just tried this, and IT WORKS!!! The problem was corrupt data... Anyhoo, I put in Snatch, it loaded fine and runs like it should.

If this is such a common issue for PS3 consoles, you think Sony would address it and perhaps offer a patch included in a FW update or just a patch on PlaystationStore. It could save PS3 owners considerable time, money and frustration, considering what's involved by sending in one's console for a refurbed one. I understand this is not the same as a automobile recall but any help would go a long way. I had a similar issue with my Vaio laptop a few years back and the issue was similar in that it was data corruption for a driver file. Rather than send the laptop in for repair (2-4 weeks duration), Sony customer service led me through step-by-step instructions on how to restore the driver and avoid headaches related to shipping and being without a PC.

Thanks, Bourne_ for posting this info. *thumbs up*

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (22,367 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 21, 2010

I'm having a similar issue.  If the PS3 is off or unplugged for a while, it can see and load a game (NHL 2010 - EA Sports).  After it loads, however, the game usually crashes (about 2-3 minutes after it has loaded).  The controller's PS button will no longer work, and the only way to restart the system is by putting it in standby holding down the power button for 10 seconds.  When it boots back up, the game disc icon can no longer be found in the Games Xmedia menu - you can't load the game.  Other than loading games, the system functions normally (other stored media can be accessed, network connectivity works, signing on to different profiles is ok).  I may be hearing the disc slowly stopping/starting.

I've tried the "Repair System Files" fix - with no luck

I've disassembled the PS3 and Blu Ray Drive and cleaned the lens - with no luck

It seems as though the drive works when the system is idle for a while.  Is it overheating?  Is the power supply failing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alexander Orion
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9669 posts

Apr 21, 2010
Replace your blu-ray drive/laser. Either do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it.
bobtheenzyteguy Trophy Card

Kudos me, and I'll kudos you.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Apr 21, 2010

Ive gotten a read error or two back in the day as well,  But it cant be the sony ps3 it just cant be!

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (22,367 Views)
0 Likes