^.~

Photobucket
Message 11 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Re: Ps Vita WiFi or 3G..?

Apr 17, 2012

There are good and bad points to each. I personally got the 3G version, since it came in a bundle that made it worth it to me, especially since it has GPS and if I ever decided to keep the 3G going, it's capable.

That being said, I think the pricing for what they offer is too high for what you're actually getting.

I will admit that it is handy to be able to check the PSN, messages, internet, Near, etc. while you're out and away from wifi, but there are so many places you can get wifi now, there aren't a lot of times I've had to use the 3G. I have been thankful I did have it though on those few occasions I did use it.

I would personally rather put that $15 a month towards new games on the Vita though. Over the course of a year, that's $180, and at an average of $40 per game, that's 4-5 more retail games a year you can get if you don't spend on the 3G.

Message 12 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10771 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Wifi.  I can tether it to my iPhone.  Works better with near than most Public Wifi hotspots, since it pulls location information from the iPhone's gps.

Message 13 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
463 posts

Apr 17, 2012

philkuu wrote:

There are good and bad points to each. I personally got the 3G version, since it came in a bundle that made it worth it to me, especially since it has GPS and if I ever decided to keep the 3G going, it's capable.

That being said, I think the pricing for what they offer is too high for what you're actually getting.

I will admit that it is handy to be able to check the PSN, messages, internet, Near, etc. while you're out and away from wifi, but there are so many places you can get wifi now, there aren't a lot of times I've had to use the 3G. I have been thankful I did have it though on those few occasions I did use it.

I would personally rather put that $15 a month towards new games on the Vita though. Over the course of a year, that's $180, and at an average of $40 per game, that's 4-5 more retail games a year you can get if you don't spend on the 3G.

Yea I know nowadays you can find the internet easily anywhere, but even if I bought the 3G model I'm not gonna use it daily only when I travel =)

Photobucket
Message 14 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
463 posts

Apr 17, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

Wifi.  I can tether it to my iPhone.  Works better with near than most Public Wifi hotspots, since it pulls location information from the iPhone's gps.

Thank you <3

Photobucket
Message 15 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10771 posts

Apr 17, 2012

Another advantage to Android/iPhone tethering is that the Vita treats it as a wifi connection.  Meaning, it will allow you to use Netflix and the online features of any game, asyncronous or not.  I don't have Unit 13, so I can't comment on how it performs in FPS games, but for racers (wipeout 2048), it's serviceable, at least on ATT (slight lag from time to time, but otherwise pretty solid - it's actually better than lower end public hotspots such as the service some malls and other public places provide).

It will also allow you to download files larger than 20MB (which if you are on a limited data plan, could be trouble if you are not careful).

Message 16 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
463 posts

Apr 17, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

Another advantage to Android/iPhone tethering is that the Vita treats it as a wifi connection.  Meaning, it will allow you to use Netflix and the online features of any game, asyncronous or not.  I don't have Unit 13, so I can't comment on how it performs in FPS games, but for racers (wipeout 2048), it's serviceable, at least on ATT (slight lag from time to time, but otherwise pretty solid - it's actually better than lower end public hotspots such as the service some malls and other public places provide).

It will also allow you to download files larger than 20MB (which if you are on a limited data plan, could be trouble if you are not careful).

Hmmm I see..

Photobucket
Message 17 of 18 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jan 9, 2014
I got the wifi version I had the 3g but I was in school during the time and I got rid of the vita because it was pointless too pay a monthly fee id rather use that for my car but instead a year later I picked up the wifi version its the same as the other one the only thing deferent is there's no monthly bill
Message 18 of 18 (113 Views)
0 Likes