May 12 2012
By: DrBone First Son 10 posts

Problems with freezing / graphics

16 replies 41 views Edited May 12, 2012

I have an older PS3 (the first one?..not the slim) and it has always worked fine until the past year I started noticing some spikes and different lines that would pop up during ncaa football.  With the new TIger woods game it got worse and after 2-3 holes it will completely freeze up with some bars and lines completely blocking the whole screen.  I've read through posts suggesting its overheating and the PS3 does feel warm, I can hear the fans running.  I've tried sucking the lint/dust through the back with a vacuum extension, I've updated the firmware, nothing seems to help.  Is it time for a new PS3 or can this type of problem be fixed with a new part?

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Re: Problems with freezing / graphics

May 12, 2012

does it do this only after warming up??  sounds like gpu memory is getting overheated or is on its way out..  have you ever reapllied the thermal paste? that could fix the issue if its only doing it after warming up but if it does it right at startup then its not going to help...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 12, 2012

Yes, it seems to only do it after warming up.  It won't have any problems until I actually start playing the game (the menu screens, set ups, etc in the game do not cause problems)...its only when the actual game play is going on and it gets worse the farther I go.  I assume as the PS3 is heating up.  I don't know how to reapply the thermal paste...don't know what that is.  Do you have a link that shows me how to do this?  

And no...the PS3 doesnt do it when starting up, in the PS3 menus its always perfect...no problems.  Just when a game is being played, and every game is different.  It seems the newer more advanced game it is, the worse it is.  With football, spikes and lines will come right from certain players.  In golf, a green bar will just go across the fairway and green lines will project up from the ground right to the sky.  Eventually it will pause and then just freeze completely. 

Message 3 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

May 13, 2012

if you dont know what your doing then i suggest getting someone like endlesselectronics.org or somewhere like that to do it for you but you can goto youtube and just search for reapllying thermal paste to your model or click on LogicalDolphins signature as he has some helpful guides as well,he posts in many places here so hes not hard to find..

Message 4 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 13, 2012

thanks a ton!  I'll check it out.

Message 5 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 14, 2012

Ok, went through the youtube videos and there were several that were pretty easy to follow.  Disassembled the PS3 and it was loaded with dust.  Got rid of all that, then reapplied the thermal paste (used arctic silver 5).  The stuff that was on there was all old and gummed up.  Put it all together and fired it up.  The lines came back (bars running vertically, some spikes, lots of color flashing (pink/green)...then after running awhile got a little better, was able to play much longer but eventually it froze up again. 

Is the memory going out like you said above?  Fixable?  Time to just replace with a new unit?  Send it to Sony?

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

May 14, 2012

did you clean off all the old paste really well? how did you put the past on and how much did you use??

if its done right and it is still doing it then i would remove the heatspreader from the GPU and apply new thermal compound to the processor die and use new thermal adhesive on the memory chips,this is rare this needs to be done but sometimes it is the fix and getting the heatspreader off can be tricky as the old adhesive has it on there pretty well,using a razor blade and carefully sliding under the spreader and working it around will work just dont get in a rush or this way can be done as well,you will have to apply pressure but when i feel like its to much i use the razor method..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISseI4Ebaak

Message 7 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 18, 2012

I cleaned off the old paste with alcohol pads, got it spotless.  Applied Arctic Silver 5 per a youtube video where they said they contacted them (Arctic Silver) and to use an amount that is about 1/3 the size of your pinky nail, a pretty small amount.  I spread it around a bit and then put everything back together.  On the youtube video that didnt spread it out, I saw a few others where they used a credit card to evenly spread the paste around, I wasnt sure which to do, so it ended up being kinda a mix between the two. 

Message 8 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 18, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytRmdhl4oc&feature=related

This is the video I followed for the AS5 application...I still spread it out a little bit, and probably used a bit more than he did. 

Like I said, the game plays longer...it is actually perfect for 1-2 holes of golf then progressively gets worse and freezes completely.  Do you suggest a re-application using a different method?  Should I do that OR try the other suggestions you made?  I dont know what the heatspreader / GPU is..  or processor die / memory chips.  I could probably figure it out with the videos.  From everything you've said and all I've read, it seems we're on the right track...I appreciate your help.  I could just go buy a new PS3 but now I want to figure this out just for the sake of doing so.   

Message 9 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

May 19, 2012

when you say you kind of spread it out all that did was introduce air bubbles into it soit not cooling as efficient as it should..i would definately redo that and never spread the paste the people that do that have no clue how these things work..

Message 10 of 17 (41 Views)
0 Likes