First Son
10 posts

Re: Problems with freezing / graphics

May 19, 2012

ok, I'll try it again.  Is the video link I provided the correct way / amount to apply the arctic silver 5?  I've gone through quite a bit of videos on youtube and one other thing Ive read is that the GPU might have to be reballed.  Do you think that is my issue here or is it freezing because of overheating?  the air coming out of the back of the unit is very hot after 5-10 minutes of game play.  I can watch movies and it doesnt freeze nor does it ever freeze on the PS3 menu screens, only during games. 

Sorry, I'm not super techie with all this stuff, you've been a great help.  I really appreciate it.

Message 11 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 19, 2012

I cleaned the old stuff off, reapplied using a small amount (piece of rice or slightly more) and didnt spread it out. Put it all back together and it worked perfect for 1-2 holes...it then got hot, could feel the hot air coming out of the back and then the color flashing/spikes/bars started up again and worsened for 2-3 holes and then completely froze again. Not sure what to do.

Message 12 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 19, 2012

the only other choice is to remove the heatspreader from the gpu and reapply paste and adhesive to it and if that dont work then i think the memory on it has just been at the limit.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 13 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 20, 2012

What do I use for "adhesive"?  Different than the paste I assume.

Message 14 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 20, 2012

you get some arctic silver thermal adhesive and use it on the four corner chips and use standard AS5 on the center die..

Message 15 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jun 2, 2012

I'll try that.

Check this out, maybe this will mean more to you.  So the bars and lightning type flashes start to get worse and worse 15 minutes into playing TWoods2013...eventually it will freeze.  If I hold the PS3 button on the controller, it takes me to the menu where I can shut off the game, controllers, etc.  It gets stuck there but if I hold the PS3 button down long enough the controller shuts off then the game comes back to the menu screen of TW2013 and if I turn the controller back on, then I can navigate the TW game menu and if I hold the PS3 button again I can get back to the PS menu where it will then respond to the controller and I can shut it all down. 

The bars/spikes/freezing ONLY happens during actual game play and it seems to occur earlier / later depending on the game, would that tell you anything about where the problem is?  If it is just a heat problem, would it not affect all the menu screens in the PS system and during games? 

Message 16 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Jun 2, 2012

well only games and graphic intensive games make the GPU really work hard but when not playing a game its not using that much processing power and when GPU ram gets hot these are the things that will happen like you have explained..

Message 17 of 17 (12 Views)
0 Likes