Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 10, 2010

Run a Disk Check on that flash drive. If you use Windows, then right-click on the flash drive in My Computer. Click Properties. One of the tabs has a Check Disk... button.

Or try a different flash drive. 

Message 31 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 11, 2010

Yer i have exactly the same problem. I just bought a 500 gb WD scoprio blue and i got the same message pop-up. However i have followed the advice and have downloaded the update and put it into the appropriate folders on a flash drive yet it still will not find the update. I am really stuck and need some help.

EDIT: Nevermind, all fixed, the filename of the update was wrong for some reason so once i change it to what it was meant to be it worked fine. 

Message Edited by helmotbros on 01-11-2010 02:05 AM
Message 32 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 6, 2010
Yeah same here, I just got a new WD Scorpio 500gb, I did turn it off properly, turned off the switch at the back and all. So I put in the new hard drive, and i guess I expected the system to just format the new HD and would install itself, and I was disappointed. Anyho, so now I'm dowloading the 3.15 update. See how it goes!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CECHK01 - 80gb fat bought in October 2008, 500gb HDD installed February 2010
Message 33 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 21, 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm having the same problem...I have already created a PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP  and it does not work.  I have a USB drive with the correct pad and a CD-RW with the same information.  It starts to load and it finished, but when it reboots it's still asking for the same information it never asked to reformat the drive.
My old disk is not working correctly that's why I'm trying to update but nothing.
I have the 3.21 firmware and I'm lost.
I have a backup of all my information in a USB "attache 8GB" when I try to restore the information to my old drive "I formated the old drive" . It get to the point to restart the PS3 and when it reboots it does not detect the USB and the restore doesn't happened.
I really need help!

I don't want to buy another PS3!

Message 34 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 21, 2010

So to understand you, the current PS3 HDD is shot and you reformated essentially wiping all data from that drive? You reinstall the old - but newly reformatted drive back into the unit and switch it on and it asks for the update data/operating system information. You plug in your flash to run the 3.21 and it does nothing?

Is the USB with the PS3/Update/PS3....is that drive a FAT32 flash drive? Cause if it's not it won't recognize the data. You can check that in the properties options of the drive itself.

If it is a FAT32, then I'm not sure what else to say. I was able to swtich out my hard drive and after posting this and getting some answers I was able reload data and it was fine.

Is the PS3 update file in the folder(s) the way they specifiy in the earlier posts and at the update webpage. That was my biggest hang up. As soon as I seperated the file into a PS3 Folder, inside that folder has another folder inside that folder I believe had the update file and that fixed it right away. Its really specific and fical that way.

Message 35 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 15, 2010

thanks dude you just saved me some time with that post 

Message 36 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 18, 2010

Hello, my friend.  I just got through experiencing the same thing and everything I read said I needed a PC and a USB/Flash drive to put the update on.  I recently found out through experimentation that this is all wrong.  If you have those things than that's fine, but if you're like me who doesn't have a PC (I have a Mac) and doesn't want to go and spend more money on a Flash/USB Drive then here's another solution for you.

First download the update directly to your Internal HDD on your computer (PC or Mac).  Make sure you label everything correctly as it states on the PS3 website and make sure everything is in ALL CAPS.  i.e. PS3 (Folder) and UPDATE (folder) and the file name.  Once you've done that get a blank DVD (not CD although it might work I haven't tried it though).  Copy and paste the files onto the Blank DVD and burn it.  I named my DVD PS3 although I don't think it really matters as long as the file path is in accordance to the PS3 website specifications.  Once your DVD is burned start up your system and wait for the error to come up.  Insert the DVD and hold down START and SELECT.  Your system should read the DVD and use it as a install disc.  FYI I used a *DVD-R* not +R or RW.  I don't know if it matters, but once again I am just letting you know how I did it.  Afterwords it will want to reformat your HDD and after that it will say that it's going to install the update.  You'll have to go through the set up process all over again and resign up for the PS Network.  

Hope that helps ya! 

Message 37 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 25, 2011

I had alot of trouble with upgrading my Hard Drive as well, but I finally tried something that the guides and tutorials never stated. I put my usb drive into the second usb slot (the right most one on my 2101B Model), and it finally read the update data. I had been placing my Drive in the first usb slot, and for some stupid reason it couldn't read it from there. After all the agony, I finally got my 320 gb hard drive installed after working on it collectively for 15 hours (I'm dead serious about the time wasted).

Message 38 of 42 (245 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 27, 2013
I didnt backup any of my files before my ps3 crashed I brought a new hard drive and put.it in but there is no storages access and that long message as everyone else pops up I cant access anything what do I do?
Message 39 of 42 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 22, 2015
How did you so it, mine is doing the same thing
Message 40 of 42 (58 Views)
0 Likes