Treasure Hunter
5251 posts

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010
Wow, you think that's rude? You haven't seen anything yet.
Message 21 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 10, 2010
I am having a simlar issue and I have not put in a new harddrive. i just tried to watch a movie and it popped up the message. I have created the proper folders( PS3/UPDATE) and put the 3.15 file inside. When I try to load it, I get all the way to 99% and it says no applicable data found. Any help would be great!
Message 22 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Jan 10, 2010

i have had this problem...made me mad...talked with sony..if you dont do a shut down the THE RIGHT WAY. YOU will lose the flash memory....which will cause you too do a reload of the os...down load it...and re install.. or a quicker way put your old  hard drive back in and restart it...it will reload easy and simple....

if you have a fat ps3 the shut down is turn it off and then flip the power switch on the back of it...and then you can unplug it...and change the hard drive...i made this mistake....i lost everything but you can get it back ...like i said...follow the instructions to the letter....your hard drive will reformat if it was new...if not you will have to format it fat 32 on you computer.....but it should tak no problem....good luck

Message 23 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 10, 2010
I have the slim PS3 120gb. The strange thing is, I have not put in a new hard drive at all, in fact, I have done nothing to my PS3 except watch movies and play games. I have only had this system for 3 months.
Message 24 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 10, 2010
Are you loading the firmware with a USB flash drive or a hard drive?
Message 25 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28675 posts

Jan 10, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I recently purchased a new hard drive to replace my 80g factory drive. It is a 320 WD Scorpio Blue drive and so i went through the routine of backing up my current save data onto an external and went through the process of removing the existing drive and installing the new drive. When I plug it all back in and turn it on this message appears:

The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

Now I have updated the PS3 to system update of 3.15. I have a 1g flash drive that has update data of 3.15 on it as well. with this screen on I have plugged my flash drive into the PS3 and hit the select and start and it says that no applicable data is read. I have put the old drive back in and it reads just fine.  What could be causing the new drive to not read. Why isn't the system OS start up with this new drive. What can I do to make this work.  Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!

Thank you.

It's in the Safety And Support manual, provided of course you've taken the time to read it.

Safety and Support Manual Page 18; Reformatting the Hard Disk Drive.

It gives you instructions on how to do this. 

Guys, I don't want to sound like a jackass, but what is it that you can't bring yourselves to opening up the manual and follow the directions? Is it that you think you already know what to do? You think that print is "old fashioned"? Or do you think that posting a "OMG! PLZ HELP!!" message and then hoping for the right answer is better than actually reading the right answer from a book? 

I don't undersand guys. The information is right in your hands, provided of course you take the time to read it. Yet nobody wants to utilize it. 

Message 26 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Jan 10, 2010
if you asked me about the usb drive      yes i did use a usb drive
Message 27 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 10, 2010

I meant dylanfan.

I should be more clear too: a flash drive or a hard drive? If you use a hard drive, then make sure it's getting enough power.

Message Edited by potatobreath on 01-10-2010 12:57 PM
Message 28 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 10, 2010

jrandolph7002 wrote:

i have had this problem...made me mad...talked with sony..if you dont do a shut down the THE RIGHT WAY. YOU will lose the flash memory....which will cause you too do a reload of the os...down load it...and re install.. or a quicker way put your old  hard drive back in and restart it...it will reload easy and simple....

if you have a fat ps3 the shut down is turn it off and then flip the power switch on the back of it...and then you can unplug it...and change the hard drive...i made this mistake....i lost everything but you can get it back ...like i said...follow the instructions to the letter....your hard drive will reformat if it was new...if not you will have to format it fat 32 on you computer.....but it should tak no problem....good luck

I've read that a few times, and I still don't understand what problem you had with your PS3. To save costs on flash chips, the non-backwards compatible PS3s and Slims store the firmware on the hard drive. It loads on boot. If you read the owner's manual like CaptainAlbator suggests, you will find that replacing the hard drive requires reloading new firmware.

If the power goes out or if you shut down the PS3 improperly by pulling the plug or flipping the switch, you would not lose the firmware stored on the hard drive. If you had the old school PS3s, pulling the power would not erase the firmware from flash memory. Even then, I don't see why you had to reformat and lose all your data.
Message 29 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 10, 2010
I used a flash drive with 256mb.
Message 30 of 42 (321 Views)
0 Likes