I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

IvanLine wrote:

I got this when I put in a new 320GB drive.

The operating system is stored in Flash, and doesn't need the HD to boot.

What happened when you pressed the <PS> button of a wired connected controller ?  It should begin formating the new drive. When its finished (i think there is a restart or two) go to the backup->restore and select your external drive.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4185965

Not all models have enough flash like the original modelsand part of it is stored on the hard drive thus necessitating a reinstall of the firmware.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 11 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 9, 2010
My PS3 is only a year old. I doubt that its a first gen model.
Message 12 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Jan 9, 2010

No problem, mine got that too. I think I went through the loop a couple of times.

Do a cold power up. I mean pull the plug and then restart it.

Message 13 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Jan 9, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:
My PS3 is only a year old. I doubt that its a first gen model.

Yes it is not.

So please create a PS3 folder all caps then create a UPDATE folder within that one all caps then place the file you downloaded into that UPDATE folder and your good to go.

This will fix your problem.

Message 14 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 9, 2010

I turn on the system and it asks me to press the PS button on a wired controller. I press it and the warning message that started this whole thing pops up. I am at a loss of this is happening.

Can I create my own SCE update folder as stated in earlier posts with the update data in side it?

Message 15 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jan 9, 2010

You must put the firmware file in the proper folder path, the folder and file names must be ALL CAPS, and then just do what it says on the screen...

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.
Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.
For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 16 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jan 9, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I saved the data from SCE website directly to the flash drive. Its not in any sort of folder its just loose in the drive, the file name is PS3UPDAT.PUP

The PS3 did not give me the option to format drive first. This "warning" is the first thing that pops up.

The download page for the firmware contains the directions. I'm not sure how you could have missed them, because there's no other way to get the firmware directly from Sony without reaching that page.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3/PC_Update.html
Message 17 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Jan 9, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I turn on the system and it asks me to press the PS button on a wired controller. I press it and the warning message that started this whole thing pops up. I am at a loss of this is happening.

Can I create my own SCE update folder as stated in earlier posts with the update data in side it?

Once again.

So please create a PS3 folder all caps then create a UPDATE folder within that one all caps then place the file you downloaded into that UPDATE folder and your good to go.

This will fix your problem.

THIS WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM GO DO IT AND DO NOT COME BACK UNTIL IT IS DONE.

Message 18 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 9, 2010

When i downloaded the data from the SCE website it did not say anything about folders and that. The link above that i just checked is a different page from where I downloaded my update from. However, i have done what was asked, the folder names and such. And it seems to be working.

However there's no reason to be rude about telling me not to come back until its done. I am a fellow player who's in need of help. And so far all suggestions and information has been EXTREMELY helpful and I think its working.

Thanks to everyone on here for their help.

Message 19 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Jan 9, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

When i downloaded the data from the SCE website it did not say anything about folders and that. The link above that i just checked is a different page from where I downloaded my update from. However, i have done what was asked, the folder names and such. And it seems to be working.

However there's no reason to be rude about telling me not to come back until its done. I am a fellow player who's in need of help. And so far all suggestions and information has been EXTREMELY helpful and I think its working.

Thanks to everyone on here for their help.

Sorry for being"rude" as you call it. Guess we could have gone away and let you figure it out for yourself but after "several" posts explaining what you needed to do you were still comingback with"what should I do" so I figured someone needed to get forcefull with you as you were not listening. Plus the mis-information in some of the posts someone needed to get your attention and keep it glad that worked. 

Message 20 of 42 (614 Views)
0 Likes