Reply
Jan 09 2010
By: c3h5n3o9 First Son 7 posts
Offline

Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

41 replies 4606 views Edited Jan 9, 2010

I recently purchased a new hard drive to replace my 80g factory drive. It is a 320 WD Scorpio Blue drive and so i went through the routine of backing up my current save data onto an external and went through the process of removing the existing drive and installing the new drive. When I plug it all back in and turn it on this message appears:

 

The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

 

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

 

Now I have updated the PS3 to system update of 3.15. I have a 1g flash drive that has update data of 3.15 on it as well. with this screen on I have plugged my flash drive into the PS3 and hit the select and start and it says that no applicable data is read. I have put the old drive back in and it reads just fine.  What could be causing the new drive to not read. Why isn't the system OS start up with this new drive. What can I do to make this work.  Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!

 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/16/2008
Offline
7785 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

Did you use the proper folder structure like the instructions tell you?

 

I believe it's PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP. 

Message 2 of 42 (4,606 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/28/2008
Offline
1229 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I recently purchased a new hard drive to replace my 80g factory drive. It is a 320 WD Scorpio Blue drive and so i went through the routine of backing up my current save data onto an external and went through the process of removing the existing drive and installing the new drive. When I plug it all back in and turn it on this message appears:

 

The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

 

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

 

Now I have updated the PS3 to system update of 3.15. I have a 1g flash drive that has update data of 3.15 on it as well. with this screen on I have plugged my flash drive into the PS3 and hit the select and start and it says that no applicable data is read. I have put the old drive back in and it reads just fine.  What could be causing the new drive to not read. Why isn't the system OS start up with this new drive. What can I do to make this work.  Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!

 

Thank you.


Because unlike early PS3's the firmware of your PS3 resides partly on flash memory and the rest resides on the hard drive (new hard drive - firmware reinstall). The original models had enough flash memory to hold the firmware.

 

As stated previously it needs to be in the following folder format.

 

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 3 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/23/2007
Offline
4913 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010
Odd problem. It sounds like the NEW drive isnt formatted correctly? Maybe the Playstation screwed up when it formatted it?

You could try installing the drive in a PC (either directly or with a harddrive enclosure) and reformat the drive and reinstall it in the PS3.

The PS3 *should* ask you to format it again to it's file system, and hopefully it'll start working correctly.

EDIT: Didn't catch the last part where you said it couldn't find the firmware on the flash drive. I would still try my advice anyway, because I never had to install the OS via a flash drive when I popped my new drive in, all I had to do was put it in and the PS3 asked me to format it.

Bam, done.
Message Edited by Rayvolution on 01-09-2010 02:29 PM
Miss me? Come say hi over at my new programming project page, Retro-Pixel Castles.
Hopefully coming to Steam in 2015!
Message 4 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 07/23/2007
Offline
4913 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

Krasssh wrote:

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I recently purchased a new hard drive to replace my 80g factory drive. It is a 320 WD Scorpio Blue drive and so i went through the routine of backing up my current save data onto an external and went through the process of removing the existing drive and installing the new drive. When I plug it all back in and turn it on this message appears:

 

The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

 

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

 

Now I have updated the PS3 to system update of 3.15. I have a 1g flash drive that has update data of 3.15 on it as well. with this screen on I have plugged my flash drive into the PS3 and hit the select and start and it says that no applicable data is read. I have put the old drive back in and it reads just fine.  What could be causing the new drive to not read. Why isn't the system OS start up with this new drive. What can I do to make this work.  Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!

 

Thank you.


Because unlike early PS3's the firmware of your PS3 resides partly on flash memory and the rest resides on the hard drive (new hard drive - firmware reinstall). The original models had enough flash memory to hold the firmware.

 

As stated previously it needs to be in the following folder format.

 

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP



Really? I honestly had no idea. That explains why I didn't have to reinstall the firmware when I upgraded my 60gb.
Miss me? Come say hi over at my new programming project page, Retro-Pixel Castles.
Hopefully coming to Steam in 2015!
Message 5 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 01/31/2009
Offline
566 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

I got this when I put in a new 320GB drive.

 

The operating system is stored in Flash, and doesn't need the HD to boot.

 

What happened when you pressed the <PS> button of a wired connected controller ?  It should begin formating the new drive. When its finished (i think there is a restart or two) go to the backup->restore and select your external drive.

 

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4185965

 

 

 

Message 6 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/28/2008
Offline
1229 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

Rayvolution wrote:
Odd problem. It sounds like the NEW drive isnt formatted correctly? Maybe the Playstation screwed up when it formatted it?

You could try installing the drive in a PC (either directly or with a harddrive enclosure) and reformat the drive and reinstall it in the PS3.

The PS3 *should* ask you to format it again to it's file system, and hopefully it'll start working correctly.

EDIT: Didn't catch the last part where you said it couldn't find the firmware on the flash drive. I would still try my advice anyway, because I never had to install the OS via a flash drive when I popped my new drive in, all I had to do was put it in and the PS3 asked me to format it.

Bam, done.
Message Edited by Rayvolution on 01-09-2010 02:29 PM

Probably because you have a first gen system and it has more flash memory than the 80GB's. Those models have part of the OS on the hard drive due to having less flash memory on the motherboard. Any time a new hard drive is installed on these systems this is required.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 7 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 11/28/2008
Offline
1229 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

Rayvolution wrote:

Krasssh wrote:

c3h5n3o9 wrote:

I recently purchased a new hard drive to replace my 80g factory drive. It is a 320 WD Scorpio Blue drive and so i went through the routine of backing up my current save data onto an external and went through the process of removing the existing drive and installing the new drive. When I plug it all back in and turn it on this message appears:

 

The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

 

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.15 or later, and press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SCE Web site for your region.

 

Now I have updated the PS3 to system update of 3.15. I have a 1g flash drive that has update data of 3.15 on it as well. with this screen on I have plugged my flash drive into the PS3 and hit the select and start and it says that no applicable data is read. I have put the old drive back in and it reads just fine.  What could be causing the new drive to not read. Why isn't the system OS start up with this new drive. What can I do to make this work.  Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!

 

Thank you.


Because unlike early PS3's the firmware of your PS3 resides partly on flash memory and the rest resides on the hard drive (new hard drive - firmware reinstall). The original models had enough flash memory to hold the firmware.

 

As stated previously it needs to be in the following folder format.

 

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP



Really? I honestly had no idea. That explains why I didn't have to reinstall the firmware when I upgraded my 60gb.

Exactly.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 8 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 01/07/2010
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

I saved the data from SCE website directly to the flash drive. Its not in any sort of folder its just loose in the drive, the file name is PS3UPDAT.PUP

 

The PS3 did not give me the option to format drive first. This "warning" is the first thing that pops up.

Message 9 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/17/2008
Offline
5911 posts
 

Re: Problems while upgrading my PS3 Hard Drive - Please Help!

Jan 9, 2010

Krasssh wrote:

As stated previously it needs to be in the following folder format.

 

PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP


Yup, and the folder/file names MUST BE ALL CAPS
Message Edited by GeekGod on 01-09-2010 12:34 PM

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 10 of 42 (4,606 Views)
Reply
0 Likes