Apr 17 2011
By: AeonSword First Son 3 posts

Problem with the NGP

6 replies 11 views Edited Apr 17, 2011

Ok, so this may have been posted before, and if it has, I'm sorry, I don't usually read the forums.

The NGP is using a display called the OLED

This stands for organic light emitting diode

The OLED, compared to tradational screens can display better colors

The problem I have with this is the "O"

If the screen has organic matter, how long will it be until the screen has to be replaced?

Said on the wiki:

-Lifespan:

The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.

In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or

technology—each currently rated for about 25,000 – 40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.

So I assume that there will be a service for the screens yes?

Also, since OLED screens are expensive... Yeah,,,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes

Message 1 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Re: Problem with the NGP

Apr 17, 2011

Sony will have a solution for this... If the screen turns out to be a problem, they will more than likely fix it in an updated model. That may not sound very good, but it's what usually happens, so I guess we'll see.

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Message 2 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7385 posts

Apr 17, 2011

AeonSword wrote:

Ok, so this may have been posted before, and if it has, I'm sorry, I don't usually read the forums.

The NGP is using a display called the OLED

This stands for organic light emitting diode

The OLED, compared to tradational screens can display better colors

The problem I have with this is the "O"

If the screen has organic matter, how long will it be until the screen has to be replaced?

Said on the wiki:

-Lifespan:

The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.

In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or

technology—each currently rated for about 25,000 – 40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.

So I assume that there will be a service for the screens yes?

Also, since OLED screens are expensive... Yeah,,,

Sorry for any spelling mistakes

that doesnt sound good at all but i think sony know what they are doing , i hope the screen last longer than that

Message 3 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 17, 2011

Yes this does sound problematic. Especially since there will be the oh so popular 1 year warranty and then you can pay for a 2 year extended then you will need to pay them to get it fixed. And then there is the new model that has lost features the old model had and gained others that you love and learn to live with not having the older features.

But I think all companies do things along these lines in this manner. It is one of the ways they make money. Giving you a fixed amount of time to get it fixed for free and allowing you to pay to extend that time but in the end you will have to pay to get it fixed or buy the new model.

I am willing to live with this being as that is how manufactures work.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 4 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 17, 2011

lololulz, can't you just extend the warranty once the screen starts messing up? They won't know it's allready messed up XD

Message 5 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 17, 2011

Well from what they told me on the phone and it says on PSN the warranty is for the new consoles that re still with in their year warranty. So basically come a month warranty is up do the 2 year extension... What I am not sure of is if there you can extend it again after you have done it once. I will call and see.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 6 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13520 posts

Apr 21, 2011

Haha, no? You can never extend warranties more than once. It defeats the purpose of the "warranty". The warranty basically says that they didn't screw up on the development of their device, but if there is some defect that is their fault, they'll replace it. However, if you take a year warranty and extend it 2 years, that's 3 years that YOU had the device, giving YOU 3 years to damage it in some way, therefore taking away the liability of the company. The warranty is mainly so that if you buy something and it had some error during the process of making it, they'll give you a new one that works. It's not INSURANCE. It does not protect from everything. You crack the screen with a rock? You pay for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 7 (11 Views)
0 Likes