Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9891 posts

Re: Price difference in games on PSN?

Jan 10, 2013
I can't really say PSN is the culprit behind this. They make plenty of money for the service in both plus subscriptions, the extra spending by people with plus subscriptions and the money they charge game companies in bandwidth fees. Xbox Live is not free yet some of their marketplace prices are even higher than PSN. Their gamers weren't even allowed a Walking Dead season pass.

There is one thing people are missing. Currently on Steam, Valve only has to worry about their store. Meanwhile consoles are loss leads meaning it costs quite a bit more to manufacture than they actually sell them for. I think the playstation originally cost a few hundred bucks more to make than it sold for. Not sure if hardware is turning a profit now but they were sold at a loss for a very long time. That's a lot of money that has to be recovered from each gamer through game sales just to break even. For the most part, Sony has been very generous to us compared to the competition.

Here is the real question. How much is Steam Box even going to cost? Xi3 stuff is very expensive. Will Valve be able to sell this unit at an affordable price and still maintain the incredible deals on Steam? Another factor is, Steam offers only single user licenses. While I might have picked up both Left 4 Dead games for 7.49 last week, my account is the only one they can be played from. If my son wants to play, I will have to buy the games all over again for his account. Meanwhile, when you buy something on this store, the content is available for every account on your console.
Message 11 of 22 (121 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Mr2Good3 wrote:
Why is sleeping dogs 16 bucks on steam but 50 bucks on PSN? I'm a die hard Sony fan but wide price differences for the same gm on different networks is insane. I wasn't looking at getting the steam box before but I may hv to aftet seeing that huge price difference.

For Sony, to publish a game usually requires costs for advertising a game, and the costs involved in manufacturing and distributing the retail version. It wouldn't make any sence to make the digital version a lot cheaper than the retail version, because that undercuts themselves.

Once/If Sony goes to a digital only distribution model for the newest AAA games, we will probably see similar prices that we see on Steam...

Message 12 of 22 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9891 posts

Jan 10, 2013
I think a digital only model could be very dangerous. Not only because the absence of a physical copy could make the console less popular among general consumers but we could also see retailer retaliation. This is a big part of what killed Sega. Not over digital content but by cutting Walmart and KB toys out of their launch, both companies refused to stock their console or any games. Take away the games that make retailers a fortune and they could very well do the same exact thing.

You also have to think about something. How many digital only games have ever done great in sales even on Steam? A few do alright. But nothing compared to AAA console releases.
Message 13 of 22 (111 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Anatomy of a $60 Video Game

Above is a pie chart where all the money goes with a typical $60 game. When you take the retailer related costs out of the equation, the net cost goes down to $33, which should be the theoretical cost of games should Sony go all digital...

Message 14 of 22 (108 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
I think a digital only model could be very dangerous. Not only because the absence of a physical copy could make the console less popular among general consumers but we could also see retailer retaliation. This is a big part of what killed Sega. Not over digital content but by cutting Walmart and KB toys out of their launch, both companies refused to stock their console or any games. Take away the games that make retailers a fortune and they could very well do the same exact thing.

You also have to think about something. How many digital only games have ever done great in sales even on Steam? A few do alright. But nothing compared to AAA console releases.

With the Sega reference, I believe you are talking about the surprise early launch of the Saturn, which did anger some retailers, however Sega  patched things up by the time their final console the Dreamcast was launched. Unfortunately the Dreamcast didn't get support from some companies like EA, and along with the looming introdcution of the PS2 affected Dreamcast sales to the point Sega felt they had to exit the hardware business...

Message 15 of 22 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9891 posts

Jan 10, 2013
They didnt patch up with everybody though. Not sure if Walmart gave in but I know for a fact KB didn't because I worked there when the Dreamcast released and they wouldn't carry it

While EA had something to do with it as well, The Dreamcast had a library that more than made up for it not to mention 20.00 2K sports games that were well worth the money. And had Sega not screwed things up with the Saturn and retailers, I do not feel the Playstation would have blew up the way it did in the first place even if it was a better console. I mean Sony was the new kid on the block while Sega was already established.

I could be wrong however I just feel that as long as there is a retailer presence, the last thing a company wants to do is keep their best games out of the stores. Nirvana's old record producer brought up a really good point when he explained how digital distribution really effected the music industry and that its not because of free torrents. Aside from the lack of retail presence making your product less popular, there are still a good many people who do not see digital licenses as real property. Myself included.
Message 16 of 22 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
They didnt patch up with everybody though. Not sure if Walmart gave in but I know for a fact KB didn't because I worked there when the Dreamcast released and they wouldn't carry it

While EA had something to do with it as well, The Dreamcast had a library that more than made up for it not to mention 20.00 2K sports games that were well worth the money. And had Sega not screwed things up with the Saturn and retailers, I do not feel the Playstation would have blew up the way it did in the first place even if it was a better console. I mean Sony was the new kid on the block while Sega was already established.

I could be wrong however I just feel that as long as there is a retailer presence, the last thing a company wants to do is keep their best games out of the stores. Nirvana's old record producer brought up a really good point when he explained how digital distribution really effected the music industry and that its not because of free torrents. Aside from the lack of retail presence making your product less popular, there are still a good many people who do not see digital licenses as real property. Myself included.

I certainly remember that my local KB store sold Dreamcast games, and this press release says they even participated in the pre-order campaign.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sega+Dreamcast+has+Record-Breaking+Retail+Pre-Order+Campaign%3B+K+B......

Sony gained plenty of momentum and credibility with the original PlayStation, which was why Sega was in serious trouble when Sony was set to release the PS2.

FYI the $20 2K sports titles happened years after the demise of the Dreamcast, and Sega sold their sports gaming division to 2K.

Message 17 of 22 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9891 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Maybe yours did but the one I worked at didn't nor did any in my area. I remember clearly because its the only reason I bought one at GameStop. Had they been at KB, I would have been using my 25% off discount on my console and games.
Message 18 of 22 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jan 10, 2013
I know that just cause on PSN is like 7 bucks and at game stop USED it costs like 15 or 16 bucks
Message 19 of 22 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Sorry just cause 2
Message 20 of 22 (83 Views)
0 Likes