Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Re: Possible MP3 support, DLNA coming in future PS4 update

Mar 19, 2014
@ToXiC_Skiils

You should really return those Beats. Some of the worst headphones you can buy.
Message 141 of 188 (754 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Mar 23, 2014

"All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014"

Yeah NO!......

Message 142 of 188 (698 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Apr 17, 2014

What do you guys think about the recent questionaire that was relesed by Sony to select few PS4 owners on how to make the PS4 better?  Do you think Sony is listening now?  I have several friends who own PS4's and I know of several more people who own them too.  Everyone of them including myself wants the same thing!  We all want MP3, DLNA, and external HDD support!

Any thoughts?

Message 143 of 188 (534 Views)
First Son
1 posts

May 27, 2014

I can't believe they wouldn't support MP3, DNLA, and external HDD support and actually makes me a little angry. I just assumed it would have at the very least most of the features the PS3 had, and more. The backwards compatibility issue was almost a deal breaker. However the lack of support for DLNA and HDD support would be a deal breaker for me. I just bought a PS4 and am highly considering returning it. The reason why I got the PS3 originally was mostly to play games, however the DLNA support and capability to watch DVD and BlueRay discs came 2ndary. I use the system for everything, and would not be justified for only playing games. I am a huge game player, however my family and I use it to watch movies. I hope they choose to do the right thing and support it soon. sounds like they are trying to push people into paying for something they already own again. Why should I pay for movies I already own. I have the same complaint about the PS3 games that I own that won't work on the PS4. The compatibilty issue is easier to live with, but the DLNA support would not.

Message 144 of 188 (404 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

May 27, 2014

Yeah it don't look like they will have it on in the time frame if ever...

This is sony we are talking about here, they take forever to make a decision on a simple thing like this..

Then by the time they say yes to make it happen they bring another system out or say they can't do it on the system not enough memory..

But they can free up as much memory as they want to do anything they want with it lol....

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 145 of 188 (375 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 28, 2014

Not saying that this is a valid excuse, but we all need to understand that not a single user on this forum knows how the OS on the PS4 is coded, or how adding in features may impact other areas of the OS.  The experience with many in regards to computer code is either HTML, Java, SQL, SAS, Linux, or Windows where the operating systems are widely known and creating updates/add-ons is simple.  None of us know the specifics behind the coding going on with the PS4's OS.

Something I was taught at an early age, and something that is ALWAYS forgotten by many, is that what seems to be the simplest thing in the minds of non-programmers is generally anything but easy in reality.

Message 146 of 188 (354 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

May 28, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Um After E3 they told us all about the system what it can and cant do. There was no bad car sales man here at all. Maybe you failed to do enough home work on it but. They told us everything.

How long after E3?

I am pretty sure the big bombs dropped a week or so before launch, but if you have links I will be happy to be wrong here.

As far as the almost complete lack of media features I was under the impression this was only made public 7-10 days before launch, and wasnt widely publicized so most people buying the Ps4 expected it to be much more capable then it was.

Hence the months of new threads popping up asking how to get the Ps4 to play 3D blurays and cd's, etc.

If they announced the Ps4 would not play cd's, 3d blurays, mp3's, or have any form of connectivity to home media networks back in June or Jully I must have missed it all.

Did that happen?  Or by after E3 you meant any time up to the present?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/436113/playstation-4-will-not-support-cds-mp3s-or-pc-media-stre...

Look at date on this link. Oct 31, 2013 atleast 2 weeks before launch this one. 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/362569,the-playstation-4-abandons-your-media-in-favour-of-sonys-s...

Message 147 of 188 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2014

DeckardB wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

Um After E3 they told us all about the system what it can and cant do. There was no bad car sales man here at all. Maybe you failed to do enough home work on it but. They told us everything.

How long after E3?

I am pretty sure the big bombs dropped a week or so before launch, but if you have links I will be happy to be wrong here.

As far as the almost complete lack of media features I was under the impression this was only made public 7-10 days before launch, and wasnt widely publicized so most people buying the Ps4 expected it to be much more capable then it was.

Hence the months of new threads popping up asking how to get the Ps4 to play 3D blurays and cd's, etc.

If they announced the Ps4 would not play cd's, 3d blurays, mp3's, or have any form of connectivity to home media networks back in June or Jully I must have missed it all.

Did that happen?  Or by after E3 you meant any time up to the present?

Phillyblunz, you're not going crazy. From my recollection, it went this way.

E3 was a roaring success for Sony. At this time, we were told by Mark Cerny that we could expect the same great media features we've come to expect from Sony Playstation.

The bomb wasn't dropped until Sony released the Official PS4 FAQ on Oct 30, 2013 where in answer to the question:

"Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?"

The answer was "No", then:

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The answer was again "No", but later, after the uproar, it was changed to:

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.

Black0Panther is under the impression that this was sufficient notice, and a good method of revealing to everybody the lack of features. He also is under the impression that nobody has any right to want media features on the PS4 because it does what Sony says it was supposed to do. There is no reasoning with him on this.

It doesn't seem to matter that we were told we could expect the same media functionality we've come to expect from Playstation, and then were told "No" to DLNA and MP3. Keep in mind, it was flat out "No". Not "coming soon", or "We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities". Just "No".

The thing of it is, I LIKE Mark Cerny. He's a soft spoken, kind, brilliant man. I don't think he was intentionally misleading us. He may have known something we don't, or was out of the loop on certain firmware aspects of the system. I don't know. Perhaps by "media features" he was referring to Netflix, or Music Unlimited. Unfortunately, it was painted in broad strokes at E3, but most users I'm sure were expecting at least the media functionality of the PS3 in the PS4.

not being rude but expect what you want. Sony said it wasnt there. And guess what it wasnt.

Message 148 of 188 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
429 posts

May 28, 2014

illusive_snipe wrote:

"All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014"

Yeah NO!......

Lmfao so much for Sony promises on these updates lmfao

Message 149 of 188 (341 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2014

Somehting was mentioned very early on in this thread I have quoted it once before and I think it merrits it again...

When Sony launched the PS3 years ago it did not come with functionality for mp3 and DLNA or even external HDD support.  Eight months after the initial release of the PS3 Sony announced that those services would make their way to the PS3 device.

We are not even at the eight month mark for the PS4, and Sony has stated that they are looking at possibilities for updating the device.  It is not "No" at the moment, there is the possibility.  All we can do is continue to influence the desision by posting more about how we want those services on the PS4 .  It is all about encouragment for Sony to add MP3, DLNA, and external HDD support.  You never know maybe at the eight month mark Sony will announce that those services are coming to the PS4?

Message 150 of 188 (305 Views)
0 Likes