Sep 25 2012
By: DetroitLions57 First Son 11 posts

Port Forwarding for NFL Sunday Ticket?

12 replies 366 views Edited Sep 25, 2012

Does anyone have the information to set up Port Forwarding for the NFL Sunday Tickey? I have been awaiting information but have yet to receive any from Sony. Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (366 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18193 posts

Re: Port Forwarding for NFL Sunday Ticket?

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

I don't have this game nor do I know who makes it. What I do know if the necessary ports for proper communication between the PS3 and the PSN servers. There is a possibility that this game might require some extra ports to be opened, for that I suggest you either contact the publishes or ask on the game's community forum. If this a SONY game then you are in luck.

Below is a pic of my Port Forwarding settings to 192.168.1.150 which is the static IP I assigned to my PS3. In order for this to work you must assign a static IP to your PS3. Depending on your router, you can obtain a static IP as follows.

1) using an IP outside of your router's DHCP server IP range [e.g. DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.140 if so then you will use IPs that fall after those, like 192.168.1.141 or 192.168.1.150

2)If you router has the feature, "reserve" an IP

The IP you end up choosing/reserving is the one IP you will use during a PS3 custom network setup under the "IP Address" entry.

PortFowarding.png

If you need help accessing your router's web-interface check the manual or google it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (359 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Thanks. It's not a game but the NFL Football Package available because DirecTV wont work where I live. Sony syated that they would provide me with the ports to open to bypass my router as they believe it is hanging up/causing a buffering issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (353 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Would it make a difference if I selected both under type?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (349 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18193 posts

Sep 26, 2012

DetroitLions57 wrote:

Would it make a difference if I selected both under type?

Oh ok. 

As it is on the Pic is the right way. If you select "both" you will just be allowing those ports to be use on both type of internet protocol [UDP & TCP] nevertheless, the PSN server will only call upon a given port(s) through a given protocol.

For example, you want to make sure that port 443 is being used over TCP. Port 443 being the one use for SSL/HTTPS encrypted connections and over TCP due to the 3-way hand shake that ensures that before any data can be transmitted a reliable connection must be obtained and acknowledged.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (344 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Thanks. My router settings look exactally like your photo except I have a Private Port option as well that the router (Belkin) is requiing an input.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (340 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18193 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

DetroitLions57 wrote:

Thanks. My router settings look exactally like your photo except I have a Private Port option as well that the router (Belkin) is requiing an input.

I've never played with a belkin router so this is new to me. Nevertheless. after doing a search on it, it looks like in order to allow a 2-way communication through the same ports you must enter the same ports under "inbound" & "Private port"

example.

Enable|Description|Inbound Port|Type|Private IP Address|Private Port
  X   |    PS3    |10070-10080 |TCP |  192.168.2.###   |10070-10080

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (332 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2012

I just did this and it accepted the changes. Should I restart or powercycle my modem / router?  I had to do that last weekend when they had me plug from thbe moden directally into the PS3 bypassing the router (got to watch the whole game with no issues).

I appreciate the advice. The only way to truely know that this has helped with the buffering is to wait until Sunday and watch a game. Maybe by that time Sony will have replied to my requests and I can verify that all information is correct. Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (326 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18193 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

DetroitLions57 wrote:

I just did this and it accepted the changes. Should I restart or powercycle my modem / router?  I had to do that last weekend when they had me plug from thbe moden directally into the PS3 bypassing the router (got to watch the whole game with no issues).

I appreciate the advice. The only way to truely know that this has helped with the buffering is to wait until Sunday and watch a game. Maybe by that time Sony will have replied to my requests and I can verify that all information is correct. Thanks again!

Some modern router automatically restart after settings that do require it. If yours didn't automatically restart or refresh itself, then yes, do power cycle your router.

I decided to keep digging on the topic and I found a thread dedicated to those who are having issues with NFL Sunday Ticket.

Here are the solutions they offer.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=4681

This is the thread

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/INFO-NFL-Sunday-Ticket/m-p/382997...

---

After reading the solutions given by SONY and your last post. These ports may not fix your problem. This is because these ports are for the proper communication between the PS3 and the PSN servers. NFL Sunday Ticket is a Direct -V service. While the Direct-TV NFL Sunday Ticket app could use some of the ports the PSN use, there is good probability the app uses/requires different ports under different protocols.

The true & easier way in which you can bypass the router's firewall is by entering the PS3 static IP under your router's DMZ feature and enable it. After this, power cycle your router. Or you can always call Direct-TV and ask them what ports are require for the NFL Sunday Ticket app.

I didn't know this was a Direct-TV service, if I had known I would have told you this from the start. Look at it this way, now you know how to forward ports & setup a static IP. ^_^

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 26, 2012

lol Thanks. They actually just replied and the ports that you provided were a few but not all. Maybe I'll try the other option that you suggested as well if this doesnt work. The IP that my PS3 states it is 2.6....is that the static IP as it is always coming up as that IP (ie in teh security log from everytime I start the PS3 up)

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (315 Views)
0 Likes