Feb 23 2014
By: zereal95 First Son 1 posts

Please give us backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
35 replies 407 views Edited Feb 23, 2014

What if I told you nobody gives a crap about PS slim and that crap we want backwards compatibility and that is all, im sure you would keep ALOT of business by doing this....

Edit: Updated title and label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 36 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: People from Sony Please read this.

Feb 23, 2014

Producing a slim model saves money. Implamenting BC loses money.

This is why fans don't run the multi-billion dollar indsutry.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 2 of 36 (398 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Feb 23, 2014

zereal95 wrote:

What if I told you nobody cares about the PS slim and that we want backwards compatibility. I'm sure you would keep ALOT of business by doing this....

FIXED! If you intend Sony to read something, maybe try some grammar and talk away the bad words. (I consider the c word as bad)

Anyway, it's all business. What resources they can use and how to use it is not as easy as it sounds. Plus, with the PS4 coming out, they'll most likely put a lot of resources into that than a new PS3 with backwards compatability. I've heard that the older PS3 consoles hae this feature though. You can simply get one of these and switch the drive with one of bigger storage.

Message 3 of 36 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Feb 23, 2014

zereal95 wrote:

What if I told you nobody gives a crap about PS slim and that crap we want backwards compatibility and that is all, im sure you would keep ALOT of business by doing this....

No disrespect but please speak for yourself. Don't say "WE WANT" and "NOBODY GIVES A..."

I know I may get flamed for this but there's no such word as "ALOT". It's A LOT. 

I'm saying this because I don't share the same interest as your wants and needs from Sony. Good luck with that. 

Message 4 of 36 (377 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29418 posts

Feb 23, 2014

zereal95 wrote:

Explain how would they make money this way?

Message 5 of 36 (373 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1474 posts

Feb 23, 2014
^Maybe market share, customer retention, etc? You don't I think it would provide a positive NPV over the years? Of course that would depend on competitors reactions as well, but isn't PSNow akin to backwards compatibility? It's not always about profit, sometimes it's about staying competitive (Steam machines will never have backward compatibility issues as far as I know). Finding the right price point for your product(s), where you want to can can compete, etc. is all part of a company continuing operations. I think backwards comparability would be a good thing and could be really great. I may be wrong, but with the move to make development easier, architecture changes, etc. I am hoping from the PS4 on with have backwards compatibility and even cross platform play here and there.

As far as slim models, not sure what the issue against them would be.
Message 6 of 36 (329 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29418 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2014

Na13-31 wrote:
^Maybe market share, customer retention, etc? You don't I think it would provide a positive NPV over the years? Of course that would depend on competitors reactions as well, but isn't PSNow akin to backwards compatibility? It's not always about profit, sometimes it's about staying competitive (Steam machines will never have backward compatibility issues as far as I know). Finding the right price point for your product(s), where you want to can can compete, etc. is all part of a company continuing operations. I think backwards comparability would be a good thing and could be really great. I may be wrong, but with the move to make development easier, architecture changes, etc. I am hoping from the PS4 on with have backwards compatibility and even cross platform play here and there.

As far as slim models, not sure what the issue against them would be.

If you honestly believe that, then you need to take Business 101.

Consoles are a LOSS LEADER. Meaning they don't turn a profit on the hardware, and they make money by selling things that go with the hardware. I.E. GAMES. If you are playing your ten year old games, then you're not buying NEW games. That defeats the entire purpose of making a console. And don't bring up the "but... but... but... Steam?!" argument. Valve has a captive audience, and quite frankly I always thought that bundling a third piece of software and then forcing people to use it was deemed to be illegal, under the 1999 Supreme Court Ruling The United States of America vs. Microsoft.

As far as "customer retention", I'd say that FIVE AND A HALF MILLION PS4's sold in the last three to four months has that covered.

This is the inherent flaw in the gamer logic business model, that they're in business to be "swell guys" and let you play your old games. The idea of "this is different because it's video games" is a gamer myth that is not rooted in any sort of reality.

Message 7 of 36 (314 Views)
Monster Hunter
31 posts

Feb 23, 2014

"We at Sony Entertainment appreciate your concern, and we plan on working on solutions for backwards compatiability now.  Oh wait..we are.  it's called Playstation Now." 

This is how I would like imagine Sony developers would reply to these statements

Message 8 of 36 (273 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
803 posts

Feb 23, 2014

I don't think BC is that big an issue to be honest. Me personally they still got my business, and I still have my 3, 2, 1. Sure, it''s nice that my PS3 is BC, but it's not like PS2's cost that much, even PS3's have dropped in price quite a bit. 

All Star Superman
A vita supporter in a crowd of haters. Links >>>
Twitter // Work // Instagram // Nerd Blog // Last.FM // PS MVP T&C // FFXIVarr
Message 9 of 36 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15955 posts

Re: Please give us backwards compatibility

Feb 23, 2014

Your stuck with buying PS1 and PS2 classics on the store, I'm afraid. Sony removed BC to save money on production of the two slim PS3's.  We will get a better way to get BC, when PS now launches and streams older PS games. But that's not until Summer at the earliest and that's only for the PS4 and Vita right now. So yeah, if you want BC then just buy the PS classics that are currently available on the store.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 10 of 36 (249 Views)
0 Likes