Uncharted Territory
1474 posts

Re: Please give us backwards compatibility

Feb 23, 2014
@CaptainAlbator, Ive taken plenty of business courses. I can tell you your blind defense that everything that PlayStation does is the best way is ridiculous. It's fair to say as well, I haven't said anything is they way it should or offered what I think. That said:

First, consoles this gen are not loss leaders.

Second, market share equals more customers and therefore a higher propensity to sell games. Sometimes companies may take strategic positions to posture or force out competitors based on stuff like SWOT analysis. First to market, imitators vs innovators, etc. all plays a role. At times it's probably about where an industry and it's various participants are going or perceive each other are going. These are thinga that someone that is in the position to make decisions would have to weigh the value of.

Third, just because you can play your old games doesn't mean you will not buy new games. That's just a faulty argument.

Your idea that gamer logic is to be swell guys doesn't hold up with me. I'm a fan of Activision and EA Smiley Wink. Not saying backward compatibility is the ultimate issue, but it is an issue that has a high propensity to change things. You may not be able to see it, but there are plenty of positives that should be explored. Ever considered digital game collectors? Huge spenders, even if they don't play the games they buy. I could go on, but it's tiring trying and let's face it all we are doing is posting poorly informed opinions. Nothing wrong with it, but if you think either of us has the amount of information the accounting or finance guys have when they create reports you're severely mistaken.

TLDR: Yes, there are plenty of things Sony should consider (backwards comparability being one), but no one here is informed enough to make those decisions. Calm, casual conversation would be cool though.
Message 11 of 36 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Feb 23, 2014

don't sell your console if you want to play those ps3 games, simple as that. you are not the first to ask for this and won't be the last. new console new games if you get lucky the developers make remasterd or/and hd remake of the game for you to play in your fancy PS4.

Message 12 of 36 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Feb 23, 2014
PlayStation Now should fix this problem for the most part. I wish I was part of the beta to see it in action. Then there's the story about possible software emulation for backwards compatibility, save all those game disk.
Message 13 of 36 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Re: People from Sony Please read this.

Feb 23, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Producing a slim model saves money. Implamenting BC loses money.

This is why fans don't run the multi-billion dollar indsutry.

Woman LOL

Message 14 of 36 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 24, 2014

THe only thing closest to this is PlayStation Now. For that we need more info.  Its coming this year.  We shall see how it goes. 

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 15 of 36 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

I don't know about full-fledged PS3 compatibility on the PS4. I'm not a technophile or anything but apparently they've got different architectures or whatever, and no way is the PS4 powerful enough to emulate PS3 with software.

I do think they should totally make it more backwards compatible though... At least make it 100% backwards compatible with PS1 games like the PS3 was. No reason not to. And put some PS2 games on the Playstation Store. There's no money to be lost that way--only gained. And there's no technical limitations that make PS1/PS2 games unrealistic on this machine.

The PS4 library just seems dry in comparison to its predecessors, which always offered some amount of backwards compatibility. PS2 was totally and completely backwards compatible with PS1 games. The first PS3 was backwards compatible across all generations. Then later models ditched PS2 compatibility but at least kept PS1 compatibility and later added some PS2 titles to the Store. Playstation Now seems cool and all but a lot of people will only look to play one or two games and won't bite on an expensive subscription service, especially if their Internet connection isn't that great. May as well get Gamefly then.

Message 16 of 36 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Feb 24, 2014

OH, OK. Sony will do this just for you! No they wont. Want to play PS3, PS2, or PS1 games? Keep the console to play them on!  PSSST, Sony IS keeping a lot of business, so I think they got a handle on this one. Actually go back to school and work on that grammar and sentence structure!

Message 17 of 36 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Feb 24, 2014

In order for the PS4 to be backwards compatable it would also need a Cell processor which would inflate the price by A LOT. You cannot make the PS4 play PS3 games w/ the hardware that is in the system as it  is. Being backwards compatable is not a software issue it is an hardware issue.

Message 18 of 36 (206 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 11, 2014

The ps4 is very capable of emulating ps1 and ps2 games. People have made ps1 and 2 emulators for the pc and since the ps4 is very simular to a pc then it should be easy for sony. Id rather see remakes of a few ps3 exclusives such as resistance and heavenly sword on ps4 rather than PS now.

Message 19 of 36 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4098 posts

Jun 11, 2014

Meh... I would like BC compatibility, but it's not a must. I do wish that Sony would not mislabel Playstation Now as BC, though.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 20 of 36 (56 Views)
0 Likes