First Son
1 posts

Re: Please Sony, do something against the Game Genie

Jan 16, 2014

Well buddy, you might not like it, MANY people like LOVE this kind of devices...it gives games a lot more replayability....SO DON'T HATE just because you don't like it!

Message 81 of 88 (612 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Fatal-Omega wrote:

Well buddy, you might not like it, MANY people like LOVE this kind of devices...it gives games a lot more replayability....SO DON'T HATE just because you don't like it!

This issue in modern gaming with a device like this is that it ruins multiplayer (and imo Co-op) and trophies/achievements for those who don't cheat.

My brother had one for NES while growing up, and while from time to time having low gravity or walking backwards on Super Mario was amusing, it was ultimately a cheating device. I hate cheating, I even have issues with people using strategy guide on their first play through of a game. However if people want to use these things it's fine, but these days it ruins any sense of fair play in multiplayer and with any kind of achievement system.

I don't know how game genies (or game shark if they are still around) work these days, but if using them disables trophies and multiplayer then I see no problem, other wise, no... Just no.

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 82 of 88 (610 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I'm fine with Game Genie so long as:

• It does not let you cheat in multiplayer.
  • It does not let you gain trophies. You didn't earn it, so you shouldn't get them.

Look at Grand Theft Auto for example. You could use cheats but it would disable the ability to earn specific trophies the cheat would allow you to get.

Message 83 of 88 (595 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014
Legally, Sony can't do anything about Game Genie, but if someone is caught cheating to "earn" trophies, or to compete in online multiplayer, then they deserve to be banned. It's no different than doping in professional sports or cheating on an exam. That trophy or online rank was not earned and puts others in a competitive disadvantage by compromising the system's integrity.

I'm all for Game Genie, as long as it doesn't affect trophies or online multiplayer. I would use it to do funky things to the game, like making the ground invisible, inverting the landscapes, flooding a level by making it underwater or messing with the gravity for fun.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 84 of 88 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I remember Game Genie for the SNES Sega.

Message 85 of 88 (572 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Jan 16, 2014
I remember Game Genie for the NES as more of a novelty. "Oh, cool, I just jumped over the flag poll!" It got old pretty quickly.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 86 of 88 (568 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Nightphall wrote:

Game Genie isn't new. It just hasn't been around in a while. It was available for NES, SNES, Game Boy, Sega Genesis, and Sega Game Gear.

I think that perhaps that the OP was too young to remember when the original Game Genie was around?

I won't lie though. I had a game genie for my NES and Genesis. I won't use one this time around.

That takes me back.  I rented the game genie from my local video store back in the day and used it to play as the bosses in Street FIghter 2 (SNES).  

Message 87 of 88 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 16, 2014

Moon walk is coming back boys!

I loved that in mario.

Are you sure someone wasnt trolling you?

Its possible you too young to remember the game genie, but if you have a link I will take a look for sure.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 88 of 88 (549 Views)
0 Likes