Aug 05 2007
By: FranticJG~ First Son 5 posts

Please Help! PS3 A/V Stopped Working.

11 replies 89 views Edited Aug 5, 2007
My cousin is over and brought his ps3 (I have one also). He had his plugged into my second tv using the standard a/v cables and was playing God of War 2 when the audio and video suddenly cut out.  His ps3 was still on (green and blue power lights on, fan, as well as flashing hdd light) but there was suddenly no picture or sound.  He was able to eject the disk, which makes me think the system is still running properly, just not showing outputting anything.  His system was not overly hot, and was in a well ventilated area, do I don't think it overheated.

We tried unplugging it, turning it off and back on, holding down the power button to reset the video settings, and nothing worked. 
We tried using the standard a/v cables from my ps3 and that didn't work either. 
We tried plugging his ps3 into the tv where mine was hooked up via hdmi and optical audio outputs, and that didn't work either. 
I then left my system on and turning his system on on a separate tv to see if it would alert me that he had logged online, and it didn't. 

If anyone has heard of this happening before, and what may have caused it, or how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.  I know my cousin would too.  Thanks in Advance.

Message Edited by FranticJG on 08-05-2007 01:34 AM
Message 3 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Re: Please Help! PS3 A/V Stopped Working.

Aug 5, 2007
I'm sorry if you already said you've tried this, but I couldn't pull the details out of what you said.
  • re-seat the A/V plugs into the proper places on the PS3 and TV
  • try a different set of A/V plugs if you have them
  • try using the A/V plugs on the other PS3
  • attempt to use HDMI on his PS3
  • reset the outputs on his PS3 (hold the power button down untill you hear an extra beep, not sure if you should start from on or off)
tell me which ones of those do not work and I'll get back to you with some suggestions on how to fix the problem

Message 1 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 5, 2007
I'm sorry if I was unclear in my original post, but I have tried everything that you have suggested with no success.  The weird thing is that the ps3 still boots up, as far as I can tell.  All of lthe lights turn on, you can hear the fan, but there is no audio or video being output.  I don't know what else to do.
Message 2 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Aug 5, 2007
Thats odd, several items on my list should not fail together.  If the A/V worked on neither PS3 and a second set of A/V plugs worked on neither, it would indicate that the problem was with the TV and not the PS3s, but at the same time you say that the HDMI works on one but not the other, which clearly indicates a malfunction with his PS3.  I am no expert, but I know its highly unlikely that you have a PS3 that stopped sending video AND a TV that stopped accepting an AV input at the same time.

Your edited post shows that you have not attempted option 3, to use the A/V cables on your PS3.  The reason for doing this is basicly to make sure that the TV is properly reciveing an A/V signal, it could be possible that a connection other then the A/V plugs themselves came loose, in which case, neither PS3 would display useing an A/V cable.   However, since you have attempted to set his up on another TV, and still failed to recieve an output, this is not likely to be the case.

Basicly, return the setups to the way they were when it first stopped working, and then switch the two PS3s, if the same ones continue to work and fail despite the switch, teh problem is with the PS3, in which case it may be time to contact sony.  If one setup works regardless of which console is using it, the problem is something else.

Message Edited by Thanat0s on 08-05-2007 02:30 AM
Message 4 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 5, 2007
Both his standard a/v cable, as well as mine work with my ps3, and my ps3 works on both tvs using either cable.  This rules out both tv's and both a/v cables as the problem.  His ps3 will not output audio or video to either tv, using any set of cables, including hdmi.
Message 5 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Aug 5, 2007

FranticJG wrote:
Both his standard a/v cable, as well as mine work with my ps3, and my ps3 works on both tvs using either cable.  This rules out both tv's and both a/v cables as the problem.  His ps3 will not output audio or video to either tv, using any set of cables, including hdmi.

Well, though I'm pretty sure you have figured this out by now, there isn't likely to be anything we can do for you, his PS3 has died and the only people who could help you are the store he bought it from (for replacement) and sony.
Message 6 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 9, 2008

Regarding the av cable not working! Mine stopped working too a year and a half ago. I went out and bought new a/v cables they worked on my ps2 but not ps3. So I went and got a universal one that works with xbox, 360,ps1,2,and 3. Needless to say it worked but only with the svideo... grr. I have to wiggle the chord on the ps3 for me to get picture! and the picture isn't even clear!! I just called sony and asked for a new cable, she said to try resetting it but after reading how it didn't work for you i am discouraged. It has to be the ps3! Any other suggestions?

Message 7 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Sep 9, 2008
Sometimes, it's the TV's fault. In my case it is....stupid tv...
Message 8 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Sep 9, 2008
Yeah what about 2 different tv's? and the av cables work with my ps2?!?
Message 9 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 15, 2009
Hey, have u gotten ur problem fix, i have this problem  but i got sound but no video.
Message 10 of 12 (89 Views)
0 Likes