Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Re: Please Help Me Choose My First Gaming Headset

Aug 31, 2013

I used a Turtle Beach Px21 for years and loved them unti I bought the Sony Pulse head set and now I am spoiled. Plus they will work for the PS4. The mic is great and the sound is really crisp.

PSN ID: Uncle-Remus
1TB PS4 250gb PS3
PS Vita

Get your Portable ID!
Message 11 of 20 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Aug 31, 2013
My advice is to not buy any kind of headset that has the word "Gaming" tied to it. They are cheap gimmicks and are severely over priced. Every last one of them. People only praise Turtle Beach and Pulse because they don't know any better.

My advice to you would be to buy the Astro Mixamp without the headphones which will run you $130, an Audiophile quality pair of headphones and an $8 Zalman mic. A budget pair of headphones that sound like something costing hundreds of dollars would be the Samson SR850's which can be had for around $50 on Amazon and shouldn't require extra amplification.

If you can't afford everything at once, you could also buy just a nice pair of headphones in the beginning, buy the Zalman micand search the web for a cheap USB adaptor allowing you to connect them to your PS3. This can hold you over until you can afford the mixamp which is a must have accessory. Another benefit is, you can always buy new headphones it you ever want to upgrade or use different headphones for different kinds of games.

I can't say it enough though. Stay away from all "Console" headphones.

If you want to do some real research from people who actually know audio, join this message board. http://www.head-fi.org/

The board you are on is not a good place to get advice. Their intentions are good but unfortunatly just like your friend who says Turtle Beach is the cream of the crop, they are victims of marketing.
Message 12 of 20 (206 Views)
Sackboy
525 posts

Sep 1, 2013
My suggestion is save a lilttle more and get the Turtle Beach PX5's. the sound is amazing, mic doesn't pick up background noise, uses two AA batteries. This is a plus cuz the PX3's charge and the battery dies after a year. Also you can sync to any Bluetooth device like you phone. When you get a call while playing it mutes the game and allows you to answer the call! I love this headset so worth the extra money!
Message 13 of 20 (195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6100 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
My advice is to not buy any kind of headset that has the word "Gaming" tied to it. They are cheap gimmicks and are severely over priced. Every last one of them. People only praise Turtle Beach and Pulse because they don't know any better.

My advice to you would be to buy the Astro Mixamp without the headphones which will run you $130, an Audiophile quality pair of headphones and an $8 Zalman mic. A budget pair of headphones that sound like something costing hundreds of dollars would be the Samson SR850's which can be had for around $50 on Amazon and shouldn't require extra amplification.

If you can't afford everything at once, you could also buy just a nice pair of headphones in the beginning, buy the Zalman micand search the web for a cheap USB adaptor allowing you to connect them to your PS3. This can hold you over until you can afford the mixamp which is a must have accessory. Another benefit is, you can always buy new headphones it you ever want to upgrade or use different headphones for different kinds of games.

I can't say it enough though. Stay away from all "Console" headphones.

If you want to do some real research from people who actually know audio, join this message board. http://www.head-fi.org/

The board you are on is not a good place to get advice. Their intentions are good but unfortunatly just like your friend who says Turtle Beach is the cream of the crop, they are victims of marketing.

I agree, the Mixamp is the best you can buy, I personally use to own the 2011 wireless edition with the A40's (it's personal preference, I know there is better stuff out there). I currently own the Mixamp that's built in the A50's (simplicity is the only reason I own them) .

I know one time we didn't see eye to eye (apologies for that, it was my wording that got the best of me) but I believe we can agree in that if you want the best audio quality with your gaming, you'll have to buy a Mixamp [variant]. I personally would like to try a Sennheiser PC360 headset (due to its wide soundstage) with a Mixamp but don't really have the money to do so.

It's the reason for this thread - this guy is on a budget of $110. I would have done the same as you and suggest the best audio quality unit to use while gaming like the Mixamp but if certain people are on budgets, I'm going to be courteous and show them another path they can take, that's all. 

Message 14 of 20 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
525 posts

Sep 1, 2013
This is going to sound like a noob question, so I'm sorry for that in advance. What does the mix amp do? How does it make a headset sound better?
Message 15 of 20 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
535 posts

Sep 1, 2013
I've had a majority of headsets and turtle beach is nowhere near the cream of the crop, they're cheaply made and only sound decent. On your budget I'd go with the pulse elite headset. They're wireless, plug and play and about the best sound you're going to get for the money.
Message 16 of 20 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Sep 1, 2013

I have the Pulse Eliete head set and I like it a lot. It has different modes for shooters, racing exc exc..

Message 17 of 20 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Sep 2, 2013
@Crazy26.

The Astro Mixamp is a DSP unit that will give any pair of Stereo headphones 7.1 Surround Sound using Dolby Pro Logic IIx simulation. The other name for this is called Dolby Headphone. What it does is take a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal and turn it into 7.1. Turtle Beaches DSS2 does this as well but you would need an additional adaptor in order to use voice chat.

Other features include 4 presets including Pro mode which strips away most of the bass frequencies so you can pinpoint footsteps and gunfire in multiplayer shooters. Core more which is more for the single player experience, Sports and Movie.

There are also other features such as the ability to plug in your Cell Phone or MP3 player for in game music as seen on the Xbox 360, Live Stream capabilities if you are into making tutorials or video blogs for youtube and Daisey Chain to hook up multiple Mixamps for LAN Party chat.

It costs $130 by itself but is a great investment. When Sony Pulse users are spending money to upgrade an entire Audio System or they lose their USB dongle, all you need are new headphones.

Most people on this site will tell you to get the Pulse. This is because since they are branded for Playstation, they must be the best. Problem is, they have a poor Sound Stage and are only simulated to 7.1 from a 2 channel non Dolby Digital source. Its a similar type of simulation that movie theaters were using in the 1970's.
Message 18 of 20 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2013
@da1writer. I hear ya. And I used to be very Pro Astro until I got schooled on Gamespots A/V forum and then did further research on Head-Fi. The one thing they all agree on though is the Astro Mixamp is the best way to add Surround Sound to your audio setup.

There are so many options out there based on price and preference, its crazy. But unfortunatly on gamer websites, all they know is what is marketed to them which comes from 3 or 4 companies. I used to be the same way though.

I have heard really good things about the Sennheiser PC 360's also. I have heard about a con too though which comes down to quality vs price. Apparently since they have the boom mic included and connected, they are substantially more money than a normal pair using a clip on mic. I've also heard their bass is lacking which is again about preference. The HD598's are supposed to be the holy grail in an affordable price range and only cost about $40 more on Amazon. $50 if you need to buy a mic. But on a budget, people really seem to swear by the Samson SR850's. its confusing though because different people have different opinions. There are so many options out there, you could spend weeks making a final decision.
Message 19 of 20 (151 Views)
Splicer
62 posts

Sep 14, 2013

Well, guys, I decided to buy the Pulse Elite Edition. It came about a week ago, and I'm horribly disappointed to report that I'm already having problems. Read my post on Amazon for a detailed explanation. Smiley Sad

Problems with My New Pulse Elite Edition Headset.png

I'm still optimistic. It hasn't happened today, so maybe it went away. I'm going to remain faithful and see if the problem persists. If it does, I'll see if Sony can help me. Such a let down, I'm sure you guys are ready to say 'I told you so'. Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 20 (125 Views)
0 Likes