Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 17 2012
By: severvip First Son 1 posts

PlaystationPlus free game question

7 replies 295 views Edited Dec 17, 2012

So I'm new to owning a playstation 3, I'm thinking about getting a PlaystationPlus membership, so I can get Bioshock 2. But after 3 months when my subscribtion ended, would I still be able to play the game, or would I have to sign up for Plus again?

Let me rephrase; Would it be better for me to buy the game for 9.99 through playstation network. Or if I spend the extra 5 dollars, and get Playstation Plus, do I get to keep Bioshock 2?

Message 1 of 8 (295 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29681 posts

Re: PlaystationPlus free game question

Dec 17, 2012

severvip wrote:

So I'm new to owning a playstation 3, I'm thinking about getting a PlaystationPlus membership, so I can get Bioshock 2. But after 3 months when my subscribtion ended, would I still be able to play the game, or would I have to sign up for Plus again?

Let me rephrase; Would it be better for me to buy the game for 9.99 through playstation network. Or if I spend the extra 5 dollars, and get Playstation Plus, do I get to keep Bioshock 2?

Welcome to the OPlayStation Community.

PlayStation Plus is a subscription service much like Netflix, if you continue to pay the subscription then the games, DLC movies etc are all still avaialble to you, if you stop paying, cancel or let that subscription expire then those items are no-longer available to you.

So no, all free games will no-longer playable after you Plus subscription expires, anything you purchase, as well as themes & avatars will always be yours whether they were free or paid.

Message 2 of 8 (289 Views)
MVP Support
4580 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

severvip wrote:

I think PS+ is better for new PS3 owners, who haven't played/purchased the content offered already.  The game would expire when your subscription is over, but keep in mind that you are getting many other things in addition to that game.  You get 12 games upon subscribing, with roughly one new one a week being added (replacing a game which you could have already downloaded).  

Really you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it to subscribe for $18 (not $15, at least not at the standard price; or $50 for a year)  vs. just buying the game for $10, because of your personal taste in games.  If you like the other content offered and if you continue to get value from the new content, then you don't have to worry about it expiring since you'll just stay subscribed :smileyhappy:.

Message 3 of 8 (242 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4191 posts

Dec 18, 2012

If you want to own the game, I'd suggest just buying it. But, if you just want to play it, I'd suggest paying $50 bucks a year in order to play many free games from PS+

One of my favorite features from PlayStation Plus is the Save Data Cloud.

Sure, you can save your game saves to an SD card, but sometimes there are games that have it locked.

So if your PS3 crashes or you decide to upgrade the HD, you will lose that save file.

But, you can upload them to the cloud for safe keeping.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 4 of 8 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 18, 2012
If you're new to the Playstation I suggest you invest the $50 on Playstation Plus for a year and every week you'll have something new to play. On top of a new free game every week you also get discounts on games, any games you buy at a discounted price are yours to keep even after your subscription expires.
Message 5 of 8 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Follow up question to what whas asked: If I have a plus account but get to a point where I cannot renew it and I stip for a few months/year, once I restart will my old games that I previously earned for free still be mine for free onece again or is it like starting over a new membership?

Message 6 of 8 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 18, 2012
All of the games you downloaded when you had a subscription will still be thier to play when you sign up again.
Message 7 of 8 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Dec 18, 2012
*there
Message 8 of 8 (156 Views)
0 Likes