Feb 04 2013
By: piedude1 Hekseville Citizen 324 posts

Playstation "Workshop" idea

8 replies 191 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

What if... the playstation had a modding community for single player games like Skyrim, like steam does! Then i could download a car mod for skyrim and mess around. or a fallout mod for gta 4. Just any mod that users could create and download for fun, personal use. That would be a huge sales advantage for ps3, except with rumors of a ps4 coming out soon, how about there? Steam did it, so why cant psn? playstation could help by making it the correct file type, etc. it might be hard, but it would be possible. the rewards are endless! 

btw  i know that they cant use that name due to copyright infringement.

Message 1 of 9 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4664 posts

Re: Playstation "Workshop" idea

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Making games more open-source is not a silly idea, and I remember from my Amiga days, and my UT and Q3A days that it benefits the community to a large extent.

I'm not sure this will ever happen on a console platform for one major reason:
A modding or open-source game immediately denies Sony control over content.
Obviously one can say this is a bad idea, stifling variety as it does, but it does bring the definite advantages of strict quality control and a known baseline for players using a certain game, especially online.

The closest to this ideal you will ever likely to get is the direction LittleBigPlanet has taken.

Message 2 of 9 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Mar 16, 2013

But steam does it, and if they have a way, sony could too. Im also talking single player only, so u dont affect others. There could also be a verification process for ps3 mods, in which sony checks it out, and if it's good, it gets put up, or if its bad, gets taken down just like onn these forums.

Message 3 of 9 (165 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Mar 16, 2013

piedude1 wrote:

But steam does it, and if they have a way, sony could too. Im also talking single player only, so u dont affect others. There could also be a verification process for ps3 mods, in which sony checks it out, and if it's good, it gets put up, or if its bad, gets taken down just like onn these forums.

This isn't Steam. And technically Steam doesn't do it, the individual developers do it. I know, because I play Race 07 and I have a ton of mods and skins installed for it.

Given what's happened in the past, Sony isn't about to put development tools into the wild, and expose proprietary secrets. Also user created "mods" would devalue downloads sold through the Playstation Store. I don't see it happening.

Message 4 of 9 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Mar 16, 2013

I meant steam has a mod-like place when i sed steam does it, not create the mods. I know individuals place mods there. im not retarded. also, about the devaluing, steam dlc doesnt get devalued. explain that. also, even if it was devalued, that would be a major selling point for playstation, selling maybe 100,000 more consoles. There is a console war, and that would be an amazing argument, and i garuntee some people would switch to playstation. 

Message 5 of 9 (151 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 16, 2013

piedude1 wrote:

I meant steam has a mod-like place when i sed steam does it, not create the mods. I know individuals place mods there. im not retarded. also, about the devaluing, steam dlc doesnt get devalued. explain that. also, even if it was devalued, that would be a major selling point for playstation, selling maybe 100,000 more consoles. There is a console war, and that would be an amazing argument, and i garuntee some people would switch to playstation. 

It's a different market than the PC. Playstation owners want convenience. They don't want to go into a file system and go tinkering around, moving folders, and then sitting back HOPING something will work. Or even HOPING they didn't screw something up in the process. Furthermore, Sony doesn't make money on the console. I don't know how many times I've explained this, and I don't know why this is so difficult for many "gamers" to understand, but the hardware is a LOSS LEADER. They have a very small profit margin on a console, and they make their money back on the GAMES.

Again, I don't see them putting development tools into the public domain, especially after the security breach two years ago. A conosle isn't a PC which anyone can just buy modeling software and start modding. Development kits cost TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars, and there are only a certian available to the development community. They aren't about to be "swell guys" and just give them away.

Selling an extra hundred thousand consoles isn't enough to do a whole lot, and I doubt there will be this mass exodus of people who'd come over to the Playstation camp, just because they could download an extra Lotus Cortina into Need for Speed. I know that many in the gamer community, and the digital age for that matter, who don't think that anyone would want to protect their products, however there is such a thing as maintaining your proprietary secrets, and not letting just anyone get a hold of them. And god forbid if someone put out something that Sony didn't approve of, then we'd be hearing these very same "gamers" screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!". There's too much room for abuse, and quite frankly some in the gamer community have the self control of a German shepard when you tell him not to eat a steak that's sitting in front of him.

Sorry, but there's far too much downside for this to ever happen.

Message 6 of 9 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Mar 16, 2013

Well, ill accept that, but at least console commands for games like skyrim. You can't go wrong with that.

Message 7 of 9 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

Mar 16, 2013

This is a insult to Sony, they take these games serious.  Thats why they make Online trophies they just had to force people to use that Online.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 8 of 9 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2241 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 16, 2013

If you are right Captain, theres no way in you know what Sony would let that happen outated consoles are crazy money these days. Devalue downloads, we cant have that either.  They need you guys to keep spending on games you purchased already as well as new games.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 9 of 9 (138 Views)
0 Likes