Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Re: Playstation near: How far have you travelled?

Jan 18, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:
It takes the distance between your start Wifi and the next Wifi location you are at. I figure that this is because when I've traveled to Portland my vehicle shows 100 miles traveled, but the Vita shows it as less. I'm guessing it does it as a straight line between the 2 points, and doesn't figure in all the round about ways we have to go when traveling. It also did this when my Wife and I went to Cabo back in June.

Well, I  think about this fist, but if you turn on psv at location A, update Near, then turn off, then go to location B, turn on psv, update Near, then how Near knows the distance, if it doesnt know the start location and end location.

Or if you say psv must be on the whole time, then from A to B you can cross a lot of wifi, so that psv can locate you with google map (3DS has a game that you must collect wifi networks to unlock items, I  think psv could work like that) then how the distance calculated is wrong.

Just some questions, 'cause I bring psv out a lots.

In other hand, I think  "a straight line between the 2 points" or "As the crow flies" is how Near calculates distances.

Message 21 of 38 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Jan 18, 2013

It may update with Wifi that you pass while traveling, I can't remember. If it does then I think "Near" will have it logged for that day. So you may want to check if it shows any other places when you get to your destination. I haven't left town in over a month, so couldn't tell you for sure. I do leave mine in standby mode, so it may be possible if it only needs to get the signal without signing in for any length of time.

Anyone remember seeing "Near" show a city that you passed through, that you didn't stop and sign into a network?

Message 22 of 38 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8556 posts

Jan 18, 2013

The PSV does not need to be on during your trip to track the miles.  When you update near at location A, it saves that location (GPS Coordinates) to the data file on the memory card. When you update near at location B, it compares your current location to your previous location and displays the physical distance you traveled since the last update.  The distance it displays is 'air miles' or 'as the crow flies' (you are correct).  If you look at a map and put a dot at both your previous location and at your current location and draw a straight line between them, that is the distance that near displays.

Even if you leave your PSV on and near running, it does not actively track your movement.  It basically uses a time/location stamp every time you hit the update button.

My odometer shows I've traveled about 90 miles today, but near just updated with 76 miles (again).

Message 23 of 38 (160 Views)
PlayStation MVP
32739 posts

Jan 18, 2013

last i checked it was at about 250 miles.

i dont really travel with it, and when i do i almost always forget to use Near. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 24 of 38 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
689 posts

Jan 18, 2013

if u have ur settings for near to update every 15 mins it will search for a connection to do its update. i notice on my trips to toronto i left my vita on and wifi on and i noticed i had all these connections showing up in different locations. i also killed  the battery cause i gamed. second trip to toronto i turned off wifi to save battery life. and its like others here said  check in at one place from then check in at another and it just reads the distance between the two.

Message 25 of 38 (146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

Distance traveled 938 miles. I'm not sure what the most in one day is. I take mine with me almost everywhere I go. I'll put in my earbuds to listen to music while I'm at the grocery store. I'll use it in my car (I hate radio) with an external speaker device. Play it at doctor visits and when I have to go to my employer to deal with Worker's Compensation.

Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not always near a wi-fi signal and I won't pay for 3G as there's no point to do so at this time.

Message 26 of 38 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Jan 19, 2013

Mine is 

62 game goods

86 games

77 players

138 miles (223 km)

Think my most traveled in one day was about 72 miles

Message 27 of 38 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Jan 19, 2013

How can you check how far your have gone total??.....since the last Near update I don't have the screen that tells me how many game goods I have and how many people I have found.

For those wondering the Vita uses this: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php for determining location on wifi.

Message 28 of 38 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Jan 20, 2013

About 14,100 miles, I went to Japan this summer and I took it with me, lol got a whole bunch of Japanese good games for games I can never play(well I could but couldn't understand theme lol other then Dokuro, I got a physical game of it in Japan and it had English)

Photobucket
Message 29 of 38 (109 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8556 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Flatline51 wrote:

How can you check how far your have gone total??.....since the last Near update I don't have the screen that tells me how many game goods I have and how many people I have found.

For those wondering the Vita uses this: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php for determining location on wifi.

When you tap on the near icon from the live area (before you START the actual app), the first screen shows your running totals on the left side.

For me, right now:

Game Goods - 189

Games - 38

Players - 63

Distance Traveled - 1,426

Message 30 of 38 (103 Views)