Jan 10 2012
By: Gamedude12 First Son 18 posts

Playstation Vita Wi-Fi and 3G differences?

9 replies 7827 views Edited Jan 10, 2012

Hello everyone I was wondering is there any differences between the Playstation Vita Wi-Fi model and 3G model? Like for instance will the people who buy the 3G version get any exclusive features besides internet and gaming on the go. I am going to pick up the Wi-Fi model on launch because my phone is a wi-fi hotspot and I don't need the 3G version but if the 3G users get exclusive features and apps I will spring the extra cash to get that one! So is there any differences besides the connection?

Thanks guys

Message 1 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12015 posts

Re: Playstation Vita Wi-Fi and 3G differences?

Jan 10, 2012

from what i gather the 3g would be very limited on what you can do with it, you wont be able to do much gaming, and downloading would be capped to a certain file size... i hear its 20mb cap.. 

while 3g is a nice feature to have for what you can do with it, it definatly does not scream must have

>

Message 2 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 10, 2012

Gamedude12 wrote:

Hello everyone I was wondering is there any differences between the Playstation Vita Wi-Fi model and 3G model? Like for instance will the people who buy the 3G version get any exclusive features besides internet and gaming on the go. I am going to pick up the Wi-Fi model on launch because my phone is a wi-fi hotspot and I don't need the 3G version but if the 3G users get exclusive features and apps I will spring the extra cash to get that one! So is there any differences besides the connection?

Thanks guys

no online gaming on 3G sorry unless its turn based. now what you get extra  with the 3G is GPS. witch is used for foursquare and near. can use the wifi location support that the wifi only model has but the 3G's GPS is more accurate.

also you can do the social stuff any time anywhere. also from my understanding of the AR game TAG (working title) you need 3G for it to work.

also you get live updates with Ruin (working title) on the 3G model.

finding Items at whatever location rumors go it works better with the 3G because of the GPS.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 10, 2012

So if I use the mobile hotspot on my phone I wont get the live updates and I wont be able to use TAG?

Message 4 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jan 10, 2012

The 3G model will also have gps and has not been announced of and 3G apps only the NEAR app to tell your location but you can also use wifi to check your location not exactly but close to it.

Message 5 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 10, 2012

Gamedude12 wrote:

So if I use the mobile hotspot on my phone I wont get the live updates and I wont be able to use TAG?

that I do not know. I just know what has been announced. no idea if mobile hotspot will make any difference or not.

only reason my understanding you do not get live updates with the ps vita wifi only model is because you are not always connected to wifi.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 6 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 10, 2012

I think there is a possiblity that developers could make games and applications that work only with the 3G model (and I think this was hinted at), but I don't really see that happening, since I think most Vita sold will be the Wifi only model...

Message 7 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 10, 2012

You have to pay a fee to play 3G and stuff.
3G is like Iphone and stuff, you have to pay for internet. That's what I mean.

Message 8 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Jan 10, 2012

Wi-Fi is way better.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 9 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jan 10, 2012

Gamedude12 wrote:

If your mobile hotspot is the only wifi signal around you will not be able to get location data for your PSVita and therefore the apps that use it will be useless. But if you are in a highly populated area there should be enough hotspots around for triangulation.

Message 10 of 10 (7,827 Views)
0 Likes