PlayStation MVP
26929 posts

Re: Playstation Store Prices!!!

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

Two words; Amazon Marketplace. And having traveled I'm fully away of exchange rates.

I'm always amazed that the internet is the most vast repostitory of information in the history of mankind, and yet nobody seems to use it to save themselves money.

Message 11 of 19 (6,795 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Sep 13, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

locky11 wrote:

Ok, the new CD from SOMEOVERAUTOTUNEDPOPWANNABE is released on itunes for $12 in a digital fornat. A physical CD copy of that very same album retails for $20. How is it that Apple are able to offer better value for a digital format but  SONY cannot do the same via digital game downloads on the Playstation Store? SONY, based on your explantion of "why would SONY under sell itself"  would lose here as they produce much of the music talent in the world of music today and in turn, license's it to Apple to sell it through itunes at a reduced price. They can allow cheaper digital ditribution for music.....but not for games?

They give you a lot of a bad to mediocre product at a reduced price, so that you think you're getting "quality". Paying $5 for a ten year old PC game isn't saving you anything. At that point you're doing them a favor.

Um, that's not really what they do with Steam sales. At all, actually.

Message 12 of 19 (6,777 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9838 posts

Sep 13, 2013
Just shop around like Amazon, Ebay, etc for cheaper prices. I know here in the US most PS3 games are still $60 or lower on PSN but you could still find a physical copy cheaper if you look around for bargain prices.
Message 13 of 19 (6,774 Views)
PlayStation MVP
26929 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

PewPewImaGun wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

locky11 wrote:

Ok, the new CD from SOMEOVERAUTOTUNEDPOPWANNABE is released on itunes for $12 in a digital fornat. A physical CD copy of that very same album retails for $20. How is it that Apple are able to offer better value for a digital format but  SONY cannot do the same via digital game downloads on the Playstation Store? SONY, based on your explantion of "why would SONY under sell itself"  would lose here as they produce much of the music talent in the world of music today and in turn, license's it to Apple to sell it through itunes at a reduced price. They can allow cheaper digital ditribution for music.....but not for games?

They give you a lot of a bad to mediocre product at a reduced price, so that you think you're getting "quality". Paying $5 for a ten year old PC game isn't saving you anything. At that point you're doing them a favor.

Um, that's not really what they do with Steam sales. At all, actually.

Assassin's Creed 3 you can get currently for $20 on Amazon.

Hitman Absolution you can get for $20 at Amazon AND Best Buy.

Tomb Raider you can get for $24.41 from Amazon, or $39.99 from Amazon with FREE SHIPPING, and that's still cheaper than Steam. It seems that all of the supposed "savings" that Steam users are in fact, a mirage. Each is over a year old, with the exception of Tomb Raider which was released back March of this year. By using a little EFFORT (the dreaded "E" word) you can save more money by NOT using Steam.

But then again, Amazon aren't "swell guys" who you'd gladly look the other way when they have a veritable monopoly on the digital market. Furthermore, a sealed copy of anything is more valuable, and that's only ONE game, which I believe is also availble on the PSN Store. You also neglect to point out there are 282 copies for under $15. Despite the "gamer" belief, the exception is not the rule. Just like collecting comic books or baseball cards, there are going to be far more that are worth twenty five cents, than there are worth a thousand bucks. Just like the guy trading the 1974 MG for a wood chipper, there are far more people buying copies of Tomb Raider for PS1 at tag sales than there are buying $250 copies of Final Fantasy off of Amazon.

Message 14 of 19 (6,772 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12164 posts

Sep 13, 2013

Far as all those steam coments. Read your tearms of agreement. Yuo do not own those games. You are paying the rights to play it. Any game you buy on steam you do not own. Get booted off of steam and see what happens all those cheap games are w worthless cause you down own them. You just paid the rights to play them and per Steams TOS It can be removed.. They can offer cheap prices to all ends cause you never ever own the game.

Steam TOC

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

A. General Software License

Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Software onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms) in accordance with this Agreement, including the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software. To make use of the Software, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

Skimble photo skimble-o_zps32latisj.gif
Message 15 of 19 (6,759 Views)
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

My argument is,  for example, Amazon.com sells a physical copy of Bioshock Infinite for $US 34 bucks. Why is a Playstation store digital copy not selling at a comparative or cheaper price considering how much less is actually involved in the sale? I mean...its not even close. In my PS Store it's still selling at a full, new release price, despite being on the market for six months+ ?? There's no cost to them for a disc. No printed booklet,  No shipping costs to factor in ( I live in New Zealand, an Island, so physical copies bound for retail stores would literally have to come over by a container ship from Australia where they are pressed), no 3rd party profit mark up (which most profitable, non-online businesses will set at around 50% more than what they paid for each unit)  and the download uses my data from my cap to transfer.  I don't expect Sony to match the best prices on the market, But I certainly don't think charging the same price as a game that released recently on PS3 ( say...Diablo 3) is a very good look when a direct download goes through less mark up channels as a physical copy does. Its a shame, cause I like the idea of digital downloads, but I'm not stupid. While I can get a new release title for up to 40% less than in the PS Store down at my local games shop...I'm just going to stick with that

Message 16 of 19 (6,751 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6582 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

locky11 wrote:

My argument is,  for example, Amazon.com sells a physical copy of Bioshock Infinite for $US 34 bucks. Why is a Playstation store digital copy not selling at a comparative or cheaper price considering how much less is actually involved in the sale? I mean...its not even close. In my PS Store it's still selling at a full, new release price, despite being on the market for six months+ ?? There's no cost to them for a disc. No printed booklet,  No shipping costs to factor in ( I live in New Zealand, an Island, so a physical copy would literally have to come over by ship from Australia where they are pressed), no 3rd party profit mark up (which most profitable businesses will set at around 50% more than what they paid for each unit)  and the download uses my data from my cap to transfer.  I don't expect Sony to match the best prices on the market, But I certainly don't think charging the same price as a game that released recently on PS3 ( say...Diablo 3) is a very good look when a direct download goes through less mark up channels as a physical copy does. Its a shame, cause I like the idea of digital downloads, but I'm not stupid. While I can get a new release title for up to 40% less than in the PS Store down at my local games shop...I'm just going to stick with that

I understand your arguement,  its well put.. At same time when they  say  it cheaper for consumers to buy they i mean its cheaper  for them to  bring to the gamer for themselves(  cheaper to  sell it to  you),  They dont have to pay a middle man and  all paper and plastic. But they do have pay whom ever to have it online, a fee and  give them a cut..

When that happen the game might be   $20 and other 20 might be going  whom put it  up which eqaul  39.99/ 40.. So for example on steam  a game   might be 20$, its might  be 10/10 split. This  is no cost to   you  in  money beyond the price.. It cheaper for  them to get it to you ,but not cheaper to afford it becuase each part hs to  paid. Btw it more expensive to have games on console than  pc. Why i dont know 100%  i assumme engineers  are needed. I dont know for sure

Its going to be some time before they balance all that out and  lower cost like physical in spead and value.Digital and all is actaully pretty new. So the best thing that can be done is a short term sale/discount. Thats only thing around it to my understanding of cost.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 17 of 19 (6,740 Views)
Last Guardian
12164 posts

Sep 13, 2013

Not being rude when i reply but. Did you ever think of store mark up and not updating there prices. What stops a store from charging 5 or 10 dollars more for something if people are willing to pay it. Sony doesnt enforce pricing after its out. Only as a new release for the 60 dollar price tag. Ive seen games here on line for 20 and Walmart still wants ovr 30 dollars for the same game. Yet Amazon whats hardly anything for a game vs another store is double the price.

Skimble photo skimble-o_zps32latisj.gif
Message 18 of 19 (6,733 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Sep 13, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

locky11 wrote:

My argument is,  for example, Amazon.com sells a physical copy of Bioshock Infinite for $US 34 bucks. Why is a Playstation store digital copy not selling at a comparative or cheaper price considering how much less is actually involved in the sale? I mean...its not even close. In my PS Store it's still selling at a full, new release price, despite being on the market for six months+ ?? There's no cost to them for a disc. No printed booklet,  No shipping costs to factor in ( I live in New Zealand, an Island, so a physical copy would literally have to come over by ship from Australia where they are pressed), no 3rd party profit mark up (which most profitable businesses will set at around 50% more than what they paid for each unit)  and the download uses my data from my cap to transfer.  I don't expect Sony to match the best prices on the market, But I certainly don't think charging the same price as a game that released recently on PS3 ( say...Diablo 3) is a very good look when a direct download goes through less mark up channels as a physical copy does. Its a shame, cause I like the idea of digital downloads, but I'm not stupid. While I can get a new release title for up to 40% less than in the PS Store down at my local games shop...I'm just going to stick with that

I understand your arguement,  its well put.. At same time when they  say  it cheaper for consumers to buy they i mean its cheaper  for them to  bring to the gamer for themselves(  cheaper to  sell it to  you),  They dont have to pay a middle man and  all paper and plastic. But they do have pay whom ever to have it online, a fee and  give them a cut..

When that happen the game might be   $20 and other 20 might be going  whom put it  up which eqaul  39.99/ 40.. So for example on steam  a game   might be 20$, its might  be 10/10 split. This  is no cost to   you  in  money beyond the price.. It cheaper for  them to get it to you ,but not cheaper to afford it becuase each part hs to  paid. Btw it more expensive to have games on console than  pc. Why i dont know 100%  i assumme engineers  are needed. I dont know for sure

Its going to be some time before they balance all that out and  lower cost like physical in spead and value.Digital and all is actaully pretty new. So the best thing that can be done is a short term sale/discount. Thats only thing around it to my understanding of cost.

The higher costs for console games is likely due to licensing costs required to publish the game on the console.  Joe Anybody can't just create a game for the PS3 and distribute it to whomever they want.  They need to get permission to distribute the game from Sony, and pay the fees to obtain that permission as well as the development kits needed and encryption keys required for the game to run on a PS3.  For PC games, there is no "licensing" requirements needed since a PC is basically a "mutt" of different hardware components.  Windows/Linux are free to develop for as long as you own a copy of the OS.  Therefore, game developers do not need to request permission to develop for that platform, nor do they need to pay for the rights to access the encryption keys, etc.

Message 19 of 19 (6,730 Views)