Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 13 2013
By: locky11 First Son 11 posts
Accepted Solution

Playstation Store Prices!!!

18 replies 384 views Edited Sep 13, 2013

Why is there such a massive difference in price for a digital download game in the Playstation Store to that of an actual hard copy of the same game purchased at a retail store? Surely, with the price of shipping, printing to disc and the retailers own mark up of price, a retail bought copy should be way more expensive, but it is in fact the total opposite.

Example* Bioshock Infinite is listed in my countries ( New Zealand )  Playstation Store for $NZ 109 ($US 88) yet I could easily shoot down to the mall and pick up a physical copy for $NZ 50 ($US 40) as its hardly a New Release title now.

Surely, with no extra price additions from a middle man Game Retailer, the Playstation store prices should be much cheaper? Right?

Message 1 of 19 (384 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: Playstation Store Prices!!!

Sep 13, 2013
Why would they be? What retailer in their right mind would cut their own profits? Sony is not a charity. They exist purely to make money. I stated this in the "digital is the future" thread, and will re-state it here. Expecting a digital only future to result in lower priced games is hogwash. Publishers will not lower the price of their games and reduce the profits they will make from a consumer base that has already shown they will accept a certain price point.

Sony lowering the price of the games in the digital store in comparison to physical retailers is analagous to you going into a store and saying "I'll give you $60 for this merchandise, and the retailer saying to you "No thanks. I only want $30 from you.""
Message 2 of 19 (371 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25164 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

locky11 wrote:

Why is there such a massive difference in price for a digital download game in the Playstation Store to that of an actual hard copy of the same game purchased at a retail store? Surely, with the price of shipping, printing to disc and the retailers own mark up of price, a retail bought copy should be way more expensive, but it is in fact the total opposite.

Example* Bioshock Infinite is listed in my countries ( New Zealand )  Playstation Store for $NZ 109 ($US 88) yet I could easily shoot down to the mall and pick up a physical copy for $NZ 50 ($US 40) as its hardly a New Release title now.

Surely, with no extra price additions from a middle man Game Retailer, the Playstation store prices should be much cheaper? Right?

Because you're paying for the game, and not the format. The disc only adds about three dollars to the overall price, and NZ is probably adding in Value Added Tax. Also, retail stores can offer better prices because they use games as loss leaders, so they can get you in the store to spend money.

It's not about digital competing against retail. If it was, Sony would be in effect be competing against themselves. They aren't going to give you a break on a digital version to be swell guys, and pass on the savings to you. Just because there's no disc, doesn't mean there aren't costs involved, and it also doesn't mean that the game was any cheaper to make. They also won't cut a break on the price and deliberately undercut themselves in the process.

For the last few years the "gamer community" has been under the misconception that somehow "digital=cheaper", and that it would benefit the consumer. It doesn't, and it simply will not. Digital games have no resale value, and there's no incentive for Sony to give you a better price, because there's no competition in the digital marketplace. It benefits the industry, not the consumer.

Message 3 of 19 (368 Views)
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Sep 13, 2013

here we go.

Thank you Sony, for putting gamers first. It's good to be back!

-Former 360 owner and future PS4 owner.
Message 4 of 19 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14476 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

There isn't much to shave off simply because of the physical disk and materials. It's less than five dollars. So no it should not be cheaper because you're still getting the same game.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Message 5 of 19 (361 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Sep 13, 2013

here we go.

Yes, as we get closer more and more people will feel insecure about the ONE you know.

Don't fear the PS4 it is your friend come join us. Greatness Awaits! :smileyvery-happy:

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 6 of 19 (329 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

Ok, the new CD from SOMEOVERAUTOTUNEDPOPWANNABE is released on itunes for $12 in a digital format. A physical CD copy of that very same album retails for $20. How is it that Apple are able to offer better value for a digital format but  SONY cannot do the same via digital game downloads on the Playstation Store? SONY, based on your explantion of "why would SONY under sell itself"  would lose here as they produce much of the music talent in the world today and in turn, license's it to Apple to sell it through itunes at a reduced price. They can allow cheaper digital ditribution for music.....but not for games?

Message 7 of 19 (324 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Sep 13, 2013

luoyfutcvhjkbkg;kug.gif

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 8 of 19 (311 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25164 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

locky11 wrote:

Ok, the new CD from SOMEOVERAUTOTUNEDPOPWANNABE is released on itunes for $12 in a digital fornat. A physical CD copy of that very same album retails for $20. How is it that Apple are able to offer better value for a digital format but  SONY cannot do the same via digital game downloads on the Playstation Store? SONY, based on your explantion of "why would SONY under sell itself"  would lose here as they produce much of the music talent in the world of music today and in turn, license's it to Apple to sell it through itunes at a reduced price. They can allow cheaper digital ditribution for music.....but not for games?

Where the hell are you buying CD's? I haven't paid more than $12 for CD for the last five years, and that's NEW. You're getting ripped off, bro. And iTunes isn't a record label, it's a digital store front.

And no, they can't do that for games, because games are a perishable commodity. In about six months you're going to forget all about the latest and greatest games that have been released in 2013, and you won't be able to give those games away. You can sell an album for DECADES after it's release, because consumers feel there's more inherent value in music than video games. This is the last album I bought on CD;

T. Rex "The Slider".

You can sell a forty year old album easier than a five year old video game.

Again, you are paying for the game, and not the format.  The way you describe, Sony would be invariabley "competing" against itself, and cut into it's own profits doing so. Yes, making video games is not some alturistic endeavor by starving artists who live in squalor, in order to bring video games to the unwashed masses. It's a BUSINESS. And if it was run the way you descibe or believe it should be run, you'd see a lot more studios bankrupt. The "swell guy" business model doesn't work. And please don't say "but.. .but... but... but.. .Steam?!". They operate on a principle called McDonaldization. They give you a lot of a bad to mediocre product at a reduced price, so that you think you're getting "quality". Paying $5 for a ten year old PC game isn't saving you anything. At that point you're doing them a favor.

Message 9 of 19 (302 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Sep 13, 2013

Already explained I'm in New Zealand. You may not be aware of this, but money value is often quite different in other countries.

Message 10 of 19 (285 Views)
0 Likes