Feb 08 2012
By: LoneSoldier24 Hekseville Citizen 296 posts

Playstation Protection Plan....is it worth it?

4 replies 559 views Edited Feb 8, 2012

Alright I've got a 160gb slim ps3 that will it's original one year warranty expire on the 13th and I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten this plan and would they recommend it to anyone else?

Message 1 of 5 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
265 posts

Re: Playstation Protection Plan....is it worth it?

Feb 8, 2012

Think about this. If you try to get a PS3 fixed out of warrenty, Sony charges like a straight $150 dollars. If you get the extention plan I do believe they even pay for the shipping (you call and they send you a shipping box) this to me is worth it since you only pay like $50 or 60 for the extention. I have the extended warrenty. A friend of mine bought my used PS3 and set it down hard (not dropped it) and now he has to pay them to put a new lense assembly in. There goes $150 out of his pocket.

Message 2 of 5 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Its worth it..... Even having ONE issue where you need to send the PS3 to Sony, it has already paid for itself

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 5 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

Feb 8, 2012

well I had an original 60gb that ylod on me, that i sent to sony, and I only paid 129.00 over a year ago, and I got a refurb system that I then sold and got the 160gb system, but anyways I read the fine print on the plan, and yes it is cheaper I get that, but it said that you may not even get the original system back that you sent in to be fixed, and that's the only part that I'm hung up on.

Message 4 of 5 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 9, 2012

Thats the rule with ANY Sony repair...

Heres the basic gyst of it.... for any Disc Read Errors, you will most likely be guaranteed to get YOUR console back. As pretty much everyone who's had a dead Blu-Ray laser or DVD laser, they sent their unit in, and they got the same one back.

For any other issues that are more towards more complex hardware issues, Sony will send you a replacement console.

So NOW, the issue you will have is.... are you going to pay $50 or more (depending on problem) for a 3rd party to fix your PS3, AND have you pay for shipping as well. As well as them going to upsell their own extended warranty to you, which in most cases is only going to apply to the problem that your ps3 initially had.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 5 (559 Views)
0 Likes