Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 24 2013
By: Bobsfed Fender Bender 2916 posts

Playstation Plus and free games question?

6 replies 241 views Edited Jan 24, 2013

Ok there's two games that I want to buy. Dungeon Defenders $14.99 and Retro City Rampage also $14.99. But I was reading that if you get a playstation plus 3 month membership, you get both games for free plus a bunch of others. Is this for real? Isn't Sony ripping themselves off here? And do I get to keep the games forever, or only until my membership runs out? Sorry if these questions sound lame, but I've never been a PS + member before. This is new to me.

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: Playstation Plus and free games question?

Jan 24, 2013
You can only play them as long as your subscription is active. I suggest you get Playstation Plus for a year, you'll get sick of those games after a few months and they'll just sit on your console, plus you'll always have free games to play because we get a free game every single week. We also get discounts on games, this week we get 75% off 13 games including Unfinished Swan, Little Big Planet Karting, Shank 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, and many more. The benefits of Plus are awesome, you get cloud storage for your save files, you get automatic updates meaning your PS3 installs all game patches and updates to the latest firmware for you, you get exclusive and early beta access to games, along with free 1-hour full game trials. You've been missing out on a lot of stuff.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (236 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jan 24, 2013
Agreed with Fidelity...PS+ is well worth the $50/year price tag, despite what some whiners may think.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (209 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4534 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

Bobsfed wrote:

Ok there's two games that I want to buy. Dungeon Defenders $14.99 and Retro City Rampage also $14.99. But I was reading that if you get a playstation plus 3 month membership, you get both games for free plus a bunch of others. Is this for real? Isn't Sony ripping themselves off here? And do I get to keep the games forever, or only until my membership runs out? Sorry if these questions sound lame, but I've never been a PS + member before. This is new to me.

As mentioned, the games are only yours while you are subscribed.  If I am getting my money's worth, I will never want to end the subscription (which is, of course, what Sony's counting on).  As long as I keep getting $50+ of value a year it is better to stay subscribed than to have purchased the games because I am saving money and get to keep playing them.

Even a 3 month subscription would make sense if you think you will be done playing those games in 3 months and don't care to replay them.  Dungeon Defenders has a lot of content that could keep you interested longer than that, but RCR is quite short (about 4-5 hours), with limited replay value.  And don't forget the 12 other PS3 games and 4 PSVita games you'd get right away, plus one more each week and other discounts.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2916 posts

Jan 24, 2013

So after I sign up and get the current free games, I'd still get a free game each week?

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (196 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1474 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Bobsfed wrote:

So after I sign up and get the current free games, I'd still get a free game each week?

We aim to add new games in Plus every week, in addition to new discoutns and other features like Cloud Saves, Auto Updates, access to certain Betas first, etc. 

Remember that sometimes the games we add will be a PS Vita title, so if you don't have a PS Vita, there won't be a new game for ya on that week. 

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (188 Views)
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Jan 24, 2013
What I do is purchase the Vita games with my plus subscription. Even if I don't have a Vita now, I will later. So I get them to be on my download list so when I do get the Vita I can download all the Vita games that have been given free for Plus members.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (183 Views)
0 Likes