Nov 30 2006
By: tha_con~ First Son 19 posts

Playstation Network Improvements / Suggestions

44 replies 63 views Edited Nov 30, 2006
This thread is for serious posters only.  I would appreciate to keep it clean and open minded.  Suggestions are all welcome, and I will update and review accordingly.  There should be a central thread for all ideas, improvements, suggestions and problems, but if it's not civilized I don't think it will have the same impact.  Thank you.

o  "Unified".  I think this has been stressed enough.  While Sony has definately made the effort to keep user names unified, the libraries need to be made available to integrate your friends lists through all games.  This is imperative for many users.  It stream lines the process, making everything easier on the consumer.  Another section that needs to be stream lined is messeges and invites.  Sony needs to have a "sub menu" where you can check your messeges on the fly, by holding the PS Button.  When held, as the normal sub-menu pops up (Quit Game, Turn off controller, etc) we should also see "Send Invite" and "Check Messeges".  These should not require tons of memory, and should be very easy to do.  For "Send Invite" there should be 2 steps.  First, you select the user to which you want to send an invite.  This can be done by using the friends list from your PS3.  Second, you need to chose the game you wish to invite the user to play.  This would also be easy, as each game has a save, you can use the list of game saves to source your list of available games to invite the player to play.  If they do not have it, they will simply get an invite to play a game they don't have.  There are many ways to check these things, integrate them, and make the system "unified".  That is the key word, and simply put, it needs to be the focus of the Playstation Netowork.  Prior to everything else, the most needed updates need to focus around unification between the user and the games.

o  Playstation Store.  Simply put, while it's effective, it needs to be reorganized.   It greatly resembles iTunes, and for some users this is a problem.  The design is too much like a webpage, and too little like a market place.  A layout that would better serve this store would have your categories listed to the left, reading from top to bottom:  Demos, Games, Content, Trailers, Movie Trailers.  With those four sections you can cover all of your download content, and offer better organization.  In each content section, you list an A-Z link table, allowing users to easily navigate their content in alphabetical order.  This will improve the organization over time, becuase as is, it will become extremely tiresome to browse through the content.  Another great method would be the ability to sort games by developer, title, and genre.  This would greatly reduce the amount of time spent browsing for users who know what they are looking for.  It's fine now, but that's only because the content is extremely limited. 

o  Group Chat.  This is something I think is very necessary in a community focus.  I don't think it's important to offer group video chat, but the ability to group chat (be it voice or text) is greatly needed.  In a day where group games are becoming more and more popular online (i.e. Clans, Clubs, etc) it is very important to offer services that compliment these trends.  This is an update that I am sure would have a positive impact on the community as a whole, and the Playstation Network. 

o  Customization.  I think one of the key area's that the Playstation Network could gain the edge in would be customization.  For instance, when sending a messege, users should have the ability to customize their text color, background, and messege window.  Different colors and possibly watermark patterns could be offered, this would give each messege an individual "tone" from the user.  Little features like this may seem meaningless, but it can only open the window for user customization and enjoyability.  Customization is what users are looking for, and this is a feature that not only would make the Playstation Network unique, but would also carry over to the user, making them feel like an individual beyond their screen name.  It aids in carrying over the personality of the user to other people, creating a more unified, established community.

o  Avatars.  I would have liked to leave this to customization, but I feel as though it deserves it's own section.  Avatars are meant to be an extension of the users personality, his "virtual persona" if you will.  And I feel it's greatly limiting to limit the user to pre-provided images giving them less sense of individualism.  A custom avatar system simply doesn't work.  People break rules, and will almost always end up with avatars that break the TOS and are inappropriate.  However, creating your own avatar via a selection of predefined features is not out of the question.  A system where you peak a head type, color, hair, facial hair, eye's, etc etc, would work wonderfully for the Playstation Network.  It offers users the ability to customize their avatar and show their personality through their avatar, while still keeping it within the confines of Sony's control, ensuring that users do not get out of hand with their avatars.  This would also be a feature that could be upgraded and updated over time, allowing more expression of self. 

o  Multi-Tasking.  I think this is essential if you intend to establish the Playstation Network as a forrunner in online technology and gaming.  Users enjoy downloading demo's, but more than that, they enjoy playing games.  The ability to download demo's, trailers, and content in the background is a must.  In addition to downloading, users need also be capable of multi-tasking their other things as well, such as music during web browsing that is fully functional (as of now, if you sort by all, play on shuffle, and browse the web, the same song will repeat).  I also think it would be nice, though not essential, to play music from your HDD while in game, however this would create strain during gameplay and could offer varied experiences, so I can understand if it is not an added feature.

Overall, I think these are very important key points that absolutely must be acknowledged.  These are features that Sony must emphasize, and improve upon over time.  With a free service, dedicated servers, and advanced user features such as these, Sony can establish an online community that rivals even the best of the best.

Message Edited by tha_con on 11-28-2006 01:32 PM

Message Edited by tha_con on 11-30-2006 09:52 AM
Message 20 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: Playstation Network Improvements / Suggestions

Nov 28, 2006
       Nicely put and very organized.  I agree with allthat was said by the OP. 
I would only add that downolading of demos and such be performed in the background and that the user hae the ability to pause said downloads. 

You might want to add the suggestions of other posters to yor original post. 
Message 1 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 28, 2006

LR_Se7eN wrote:
       Nicely put and very organized.  I agree with allthat was said by the OP. 
I would only add that downolading of demos and such be performed in the background and that the user hae the ability to pause said downloads. 

You might want to add the suggestions of other posters to yor original post. 

I will be updating on occasion based on the merit of the post and the quality of the suggestion.  Some things I feel will not be essential, and as a result I will not add them to my suggestions, however, feel free to post whatever you like.  I just want to make something that Sony can (possibly) refer to and get an idea for features that users feel is important, without having to deal with some child like grammar and behavior.
Message 2 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
643 posts

Nov 28, 2006
aside from the earlier improvements already said, these are my suggestions:

- It would be nice to actually check your messages during a game.
- Audio/Video messages (viewable in-game.)
- If PSN was implemented on the PSP as well.
- More things to download in the Playstation Store!
- i know this is more on the developer side, but linking the PSN to Resistance's buddy list. having to add a person twice is kinda annoying.
- Incorporate and link up the PSN with this forum, like showing whether someone is on the PSN and show what games they're playing via this site.

Message Edited by Sephiroth Sin on 11-28-2006 05:05 PM
"In my studio, 360 degrees means that nothing changes" - Hideo Kojima
G.A.P. Since 2004 - PlayStation MVP Since 2013
Message 3 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 28, 2006

Sephiroth Sin wrote:
aside from the earlier improvements already said, these are my suggestions:

- It would be nice to actually check your messages during a game.
- Audio/Video messages (viewable in-game.)
- If PSN was implemented on the PSP as well.
- More things to download in the Playstation Store!
- i know this is more on the developer side, but linking the PSN to Resistance's buddy list. having to add a person twice is kinda annoying.
- Incorporate and link up the PSN with this forum, like showing whether someone is on the PSN and show what games they're playing via this site.

Message Edited by Sephiroth Sin on 11-28-2006 05:05 PM

Nice list, however, I'm pretty sure that Audio / Video messeges would require some storage on Sony's side, which would increase maintanence costs, and could possibly carry over in the form of increases content costs, or a possible subscription service.  I'd opt against that, in all honestly.  Live video/audio chat is fine, with messeges being a nice substitution for offline communication for people who don't always get online at the same time.

Most of the other things I touched on for the most part in my unified section.  I do think the integration of the Playstation Forum and PSN would be awesome, I'll add that.
Message 4 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
467 posts

Nov 28, 2006
Nicely put. As for avatars, maybe this is to early to ask seeing how the next gen eyetoy will be released on a later date put the ability to use your pic as an avatar (not likely I would do so but for everyone else who wants it). Also, the wifi in the system is not so great. My friend plays wirelessly and he says how his connection keeps dropping every 10-30 minutes, although when using his notebook/360 it is fine wirelessly. Also incorporating achievements/rewards into the system would be great. I know games like Resistance offer this  but this feature should be universal and allow others (online or offline) to view  your statistics for games rather then viewing it only when the game is in. But it is still really early and I know Sony will start to incorporate all of these in future firmware updates. 
Message 5 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Nov 29, 2006
Here's a big one. Let us play games while we download something instead of watching the download screen for what seems like forever. Nevermind already stated, but still it should be pointed out.

Message Edited by Massa Zack on 11-28-2006 05:05 PM
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 6 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Nov 29, 2006
Well, I just got a 360 at the beggining of this month, and I really love the achivements and think some kind of achievments should be implanted on the PS3 for future releases. Because that shows how good of a gamer your are basically.

I also think the PNP Network should let you multi-task like when you click the home button, a screen comes up with your signed in username, messages, friends, and audio playing buttons. I would love to play audio while playing a game. Not sure if it's possible, I don't have a PS3 yet.
Message 7 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Nov 29, 2006
Oh, and another BIG THING I think should be improved.

Under the option, it should only have your friends.
A seperate option should have the other things like messaging, etc.
Message 8 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1161 posts

Nov 29, 2006
Wow, you guys got some nice ideas
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 9 of 45 (63 Views)
0 Likes