Re: Playstation 4 versus high-end PC

May 3, 2013

Dubloon7 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Dubloon7 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Dubloon7 wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Indeed, the whole point of consoles is to provide a quality gaming experiance at an affordable price point.

what's an "affordable" price point when Sony continues to sell 2+ year-old games at full retail price, whereas those same games are constantly on super cheap/steam bundled sales for a mere $10-20?  How is this "affordable"?!

Winner: PC GAMING

*facepalm*

Since you apparently didnt really read any of the other posts, I'll spell it out for you.

No PC is cheaper than a console, if you want one that can run those great reduced priced AAA titles, at a graphical and playability level of a current gen console.

Also, I dont know of any game other than the original Modern Warfare, that was still at full price after 2 years.

*facepalm**facepalm**facepalm**facepalm**facepalm*

it doesn't matter whether or not users read previous comments. nowhere am i talking about the cost of a PC, b/c EVERYONE has a PC, whether it's for gaming or not doesn't matter as well. any pc can pretty much play any game new/used, so the console is an extra cost just to play a game on one system rather than another. almost every game released is for all major consoles so there's really no reason to buy a PS4/ps3/xbox/etc. (vita vs. smart phones). i'd rather pay the $1 for a droid/app game than pay the $5+ it'll cost to play the same game on ps3/vita

In response...

To the red: Yes it does.

To the pink: You should be, because the cost of the PC is a major factor.

To the Yellow: That is completely FALSE

To the Light Blue: That is also completely FALSE

Do you know anything about computers?

HAHA i know enough to use it and keep replying to your idiotic narrow comments.

How very menial..... something so basic.

My mom just bought an $800 laptop..... spec'd out right.... massive hdd, lots of RAM, fast 4 core processor..... except it can't play any game.... why? because it has integrated graphics..... I tried installing Skyrim and set the game to LOW settings... still won't run.

So no..... not every computer can run a GAME.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 77 (316 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 3, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

My mom just bought an $800 laptop..... spec'd out right.... massive hdd, lots of RAM, fast 4 core processor..... except it can't play any game.... why? because it has integrated graphics..... I tried installing Skyrim and set the game to LOW settings... still won't run.

So no..... not every computer can run a GAME.

That's why I prefer console gaming. lol

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 77 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7500 posts

May 3, 2013

Dubloon7 wrote:
nowhere am i talking about the cost of a PC

A 1000 dollar Graphics Card (GTX Titan, Radeon 7990) outperforming a cheaper PS3 and PS4? Well, water is wet and fire is hot. Too bad those epic graphics cards won't have much of a market share to be worth optimizing for. Now give me a good price and good platform, and physical games I can trade with other games to undercut the value of Steam.

And my PC stays spyware free, thank you very much. :smileyhappy:

Yes, EA's Punkbuster has the right to scan your entire hard drive and all your files, Blizzard Warden (labelled by the EFF as spyware) RAM-Scans all your running processes and captures a massive amount of data AND Valve Anti-Cheat also does Hardware and RAM Scanning.

Dubloon7 wrote:

whether it's for gaming or not doesn't matter as well. any pc can pretty much play any game new/used, so the console is an extra cost just to play a game on one system rather than another.

Oh gee, wonder if my 2007 Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 could run Skyri-- Wait, Intel GMA950 Graphics? Never mind...

Dubloon7 wrote:
i'd rather pay the $1 for a droid/app game than pay the $5+ it'll cost to play the same game on ps3/vita

And kill my battery? I'd rather have a dead Vita than a dead phone. Not to mention that Vita games are (for me) better than any Droid/iOS game.

Anyway, done now.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 77 (299 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7500 posts

May 3, 2013

Oh, I forgot this one:

So by installing Steam on my phone, Valve will have access to my phone number. Okay, thats reasonable if used for account authentication. But wait! That's not all. By installing Steam on my phone, Valve will have access to EVERY NUMBER I call AND every calling phone number that I recieve.

This is why I don't trust Steam: Here in Canada law enforcement needs to get a warrant to access someone's phone logs, yet here is Valve trying to gain access who I call, when I call, and who calls me and identify my phone number. Why would they need access to that data?

And that's just Android. Windows/Linux/Mac has ZERO permissions system, so an installed app like Steam would have access to all the data stored on the PC. If they want my phone records, what else are they scraping about me?

I don't care what anyone says: I don't trust Valve.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 77 (291 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7270 posts

May 3, 2013

I have a gaming laptop (I know, desktops are better) for gaming and portability, since I am in college. This gaming rig would eat the PS4 alive. Stating that the PS4 is more powerful than high-end PCs, which is very subjective, is like saying a sedan can haul more than a pickup truck. The PS4 is compareable to an average gaming PC :smileywink:

In my opinion, PC gaming is much better because you have access to better graphics, mods, and it saves you money. However, I do enjoy consoles because of their superior online community hubs, like Xbox LIVE and PSN, and some titles are only available on consoles.

Not to mention, you can hook a controller up to a PC, too :smileytongue:

soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 77 (282 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

May 3, 2013

these idiots that are stuck in their flawed thinking that the ps4 is 5 years ahead of a PC sound like the fools over at Guerilla games trying to instill false truths to the masses...

as i already said earlier,my pc will eat up and spit out a ps4 and never break a sweat and the one that said the graphics are not that different..HAHA,this tells me right there you have never actually seen any good games played on a real gaming rig...

i still love my console gaming and is much cheaper,my current gaming pc is at around 3 grand in cost compared to what the ps4 is going to be 400-500 so that is a majotr factor but trying to convince me that a console machine will outperform my pc makes me laugh hysterically..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 77 (271 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7500 posts

May 3, 2013

kythunder wrote:
my current gaming pc is at around 3 grand in cost compared to what the ps4 is going to be 400-500

This is why the conversation is pointless anyway. :smileytongue:

Maybe a "PS4 vs. PCs of the same price range" would be much better, and would be a fair comparison. I know budget laptops or budget desktops the same price as a PS3 would be more likely not to play the same games as a PS3 would.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 77 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 3, 2013

This thread is still going on???

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 77 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
202 posts

May 4, 2013

Golwar wrote:

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

It'll take a LONG time for the average PC game to reach that level - at least 5 years.  So it's ahead of the PC curb for 5 years. 

You know, one expects fanboyism to be strong on the official forum when someone created a thread with such a topic. But your ridiculous "insight" still managed to take me by surprise.

Yes, you have some wonderful bandwidth for the PS4. And that's it? Processor on the one side and GB/s on the other? Nothing else matters?

Not to mention those wonderful 5 years of leadership that you suggest. Good one there!

Anyway, Cerny's unique approaches makes it difficult to directly compare the systems.

Sufficient to say that the PS4 seems well equipped to satisfy all demands developers and gamers might have. And that's actually all that should matter.

So you think you know more then me?  Well I guess misconceptions are possible of that magnitude, given that you disagree with me.  Well what would you compare them with?  GFLOPS?  GFLOPS are necessarily limited by memory bandwidth - you can't get more GFLOPS then you can extract from a limited memory bandwidth.  5 TFLOPS vs 1 TFLOPS makes little difference if they have the same memory bandwidth - that much is obvious.  

Thus - the two are not that far in memory bandwidth - therefore, they must necessarily be close in final product.  The ultra high-end, $1000 GPU and the $400 Playstation 4.  And who is Cerny?  You mean Sony - why not say Sony?  Cerny makes no sense, ironically or not ironically.  

Plus the average PC game is designed for a Intel Core Duo - all are made to run on that as their base.  Can not compare to Playstation 4 - but you can compare them to Playstation 3.  Thus - Playstation 4 is equal to a high-end GPU in hardware performance, but is an entire generation ahead of PC games in terms of software.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 77 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1912 posts

May 4, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

These are powerful systems.  Let's compare a typical high-end PC to Playstation 4 in net performance:

PC

Graphics chip - 226 GB/s DRAM memory bandwidth

CPU - Quad Core, Core i7, 3.2 ghz, 1 billion transistors

Playstation 4 

Graphics chip:

176 GB/s DRAM memory bandwidth

76 GB/s SRAM memory bandwidth

CPU - 8 1.6 ghz cores, 200 million transistors total

PC has a far stronger CPU element - that's the one weakness that Playstation 4 has.  However in the GPU deparment, it has a considerable advantage, the SRAM serving as 152 GB/s DDR RAM, since it doesn't have destructive reads.  Giving it an effective 328 GB/s total power.  Thus - significantly ahead of the PC curb for now.  If they release it now.  

But of course video games are VERY poorly optimized for PCs - so the difference is much larger then that.  The average game is optimized for a video card 2-4 years older:

GPU:

50 GB/s

Whereas the Playstation 4's GPU will give 328 GB/s just about everytime.  It'll take a LONG time for the average PC game to reach that level - at least 5 years.  So it's ahead of the PC curb for 5 years. 

lolwot?!

I advise not spurting out crap you have zero understanding of.

PS. It's "curve", not "curb". HAHAHA

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 77 (226 Views)
0 Likes