Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 22 2013
By: Deadly_Rabbit123 Uncharted Territory 1868 posts

Playstation 4 price estimate?

14 replies 579 views Edited Mar 22, 2013

So.. Any good ideas on how much this gadget will cost? I'm hearing anywhere between $300-$500. I'm thinking that most people agree on $400 even though its not fully annnounced.  Personally I cant see Sony going any higher than that.  I do expect at least two models as well. My bet (hope) is that they will have a basic version for $350, and an "elite" version for $450-500.  Do you think that seems possible??  Its going to be a tough one for them to compete with the other consoles because sony right now can't afford much of a loss.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (579 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18484 posts

Re: Playstation 4 price estimate?

Mar 22, 2013
I'd estimate around $400. It needs to be a reasonable price, but a step up from the current PS3 price tag due to all the innovations being added to it.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (577 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29112 posts

Mar 22, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
I'd estimate around $400. It needs to be a reasonable price, but a step up from the current PS3 price tag due to all the innovations being added to it.

Agreed, I expect to see somewhere around the $400/$450 range, maybe a little more, but not much, & for the same reasons as above.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 22, 2013

It could be around $400-$450. I could be wrong though. I don't expect it to be too expensive though.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Mar 22, 2013
$400 minimum to make money, but $500 max. I can see two versions being available at launch, but other then HDD space i can't think of a possible difference.
PSN, XBL, Steam, and Xfire ID : Shakezula84 (accepting all friend requests)
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (547 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24760 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

No matter what it costs, the gamer cognoscenti will complain and say "well I think it should be this much, because I don't think it's worth it". Don't see more than one model happening, and Sony does more than just video games. They did have a MAJOR film in theaters last fall. I know "gamers" are bored by movies but you might have seen it?

I wish I had the audacity that some of these guys had. That way I could walk into a Jaguar dealership and say "I think you should sell me the new XK for $8,000, because I don't think it's worth it, and if you want to sell as many cars as Toyota you'll lower the price, or else you're a lazy car company". I might get as far as saying eight grand, and then they'll throw me out of the place.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (542 Views)
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

as long as the price is reasonable im ok. Im hoping for a $400-$450 price tag, but my pocket can extend up to $500.00 with a big amount of storage space (and who knows, maybe a nice bundle)

-suddenly... life has a new meaning-
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (521 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2336 posts

Mar 22, 2013
I'm guessing $399 with maybe a elite for $499. I would like to see the nee controllers go for $60 but because of the touch screen I think they will cost between $80-$100. I think games will stay at the $64.99 mark, maybe bump up to $69.99.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (489 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2465 posts

Mar 22, 2013

I think sony learned two important lessons from the PS3 release (or at least I hope they did) 1. Dont be late to the party, the PS3 launched a year behind the Xbox and they never cought up in sales bc of it. 2. The launch price was to high. A hefty price tag along with a late launch really hurt the PS3 IMO and it can be seen from its sales compared to the other consoles. I think the $400-$450 range is the sweet spot, hopefully they try and keep it in this range. Consumer spending is also still down so pricing out prespective buyers is not a good option. In the next few months we will have all the info we want to chew over until launch day.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (469 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15466 posts

Mar 22, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

I think sony learned two important lessons from the PS3 release (or at least I hope they did) 1. Dont be late to the party, the PS3 launched a year behind the Xbox and they never cought up in sales bc of it.

Except.... Sony has since outsold the Xbox globally.

2. The launch price was to high. A hefty price tag along with a late launch really hurt the PS3 IMO and it can be seen from its sales compared to the other consoles.

Regardless of the price, Sony STILL lost money on every PS3 sold.... if the PS3 was sold at a lower price point, Sony would be eating itself into a massive hole, more so than it already is.... sure $600 was a lot to swallow for many, but it was a balance that needed to be taken into consideration. Anyone who know has a job, can easily SAVE money to buy a PS3.... or use a credit card. 

The concept of SAVING, I know, hard concept to get a grasp of.

Yes, MANY people complained about the PS3's price and decided to get an Xbox instead. In the end, Sony moved up in sales numbers. Remember, these kinds of things are not about a sprint.... its about endurance. 

I think the $400-$450 range is the sweet spot, hopefully they try and keep it in this range. Consumer spending is also still down so pricing out prespective buyers is not a good option. In the next few months we will have all the info we want to chew over until launch day.

While it maybe a common "want" for the average consumer, we'll just have to see. I'm simply getting sick of all this "PS4 should cost this cause its reasonable" or "I want PS4 to cost this so I can afford it".... news flash... im sure you can save at least $1000 in one year if you have a steady job. So any price point shouldn't be such a shock to anyone if they bother to slide some money into a shoebox, piggybank, sock drawer etc etc

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (453 Views)