Oct 12 2012
By: ELEMENTELITEYe Monster Hunter 35 posts

Playstation 4 game price $70?

31 replies 8519 views Edited Oct 12, 2012
PLAYSTATION 4 game will be price $70?

It remains a hot topic everywhere: the next generation of consoles.

And while hardware price is always a major issue, we also can't forget about the all-important cost of software.

Many think $60 is too much for games this generation (which I don't agree with at all), but the overall cost of development is ever on the rise.

Historically, games on the PlayStation side have gone up $10 with each new generation. During the PS1 era, new games were $40; for the PS2, they were $50, and now for the PS3, they're $60. So is it safe to assume that PS4 games will be $70? Is that properly taking into account inflation and the rising cost of game creation, from the drawing board to the production line? And how much are gamers ultimately willing to spend on a routine basis?

The other question involves shifting formats; from physical to digital. A lot of people think digital copies of games should be cheaper than their physical counterparts, as it costs the publisher less (theoretically). However, we haven't really seen that yet; might we see it in the new generation? Maybe that will accelerate the death of game discs. If a new title launches simultaneously on store shelves and on the PSN, for instance, what if the digital copy is $10 cheaper? Then what? Will that drastically increase sales of one version over the other?

I'm a little tired of all the complainers, who clearly weren't around when SNES cartridges cost $50-$70 nearly 20 years ago. We should all be thanking our lucky stars that games today don't cost $100 apiece; by all rights, maybe they should. But things need to remain accessible and affordable; after all, the industry has experienced several down years, here. So maybe a big price hike in the software department next generation isn't a good idea. Maybe it should just stay at $60...if that's even feasible.
Message 1 of 32 (8,519 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Re: Playstation 4 game price $70?

Oct 12, 2012

Things will be priced according to how much the market is willing to bear......

If people dont like the cost.... then they dont have to buy it..... the more people that dont buy, the more the companies will notice when their sales figures are what they expect and they will adjust accordingly.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 32 (8,514 Views)
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Oct 12, 2012
I agree, who or we can't buy game too high price!. Why I want stay price $60!. Maybe if GameStop game $70 to trade in valve $40? Sound lol
Message 3 of 32 (8,512 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Oct 12, 2012

I have no problems paying $70..... then again, I dont buy a lot of games anyhow

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 32 (8,504 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38890 posts

Oct 12, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I have no problems paying $70..... then again, I dont buy a lot of games anyhow

Iv'e never had an issue with the $59.99 price tag on new PS3 games, if the games for the "PS4" were to raise to $69.99 I'd still have no problem, but I'd expect something more for my extra $10.00.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 5 of 32 (8,476 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 12, 2012

ELEMENTELITEYe wrote:
PLAYSTATION 4 game will be price $70?

It remains a hot topic everywhere: the next generation of consoles.

And while hardware price is always a major issue, we also can't forget about the all-important cost of software.

Many think $60 is too much for games this generation (which I don't agree with at all), but the overall cost of development is ever on the rise.

Historically, games on the PlayStation side have gone up $10 with each new generation. During the PS1 era, new games were $40; for the PS2, they were $50, and now for the PS3, they're $60. So is it safe to assume that PS4 games will be $70? Is that properly taking into account inflation and the rising cost of game creation, from the drawing board to the production line? And how much are gamers ultimately willing to spend on a routine basis?

The other question involves shifting formats; from physical to digital. A lot of people think digital copies of games should be cheaper than their physical counterparts, as it costs the publisher less (theoretically). However, we haven't really seen that yet; might we see it in the new generation? Maybe that will accelerate the death of game discs. If a new title launches simultaneously on store shelves and on the PSN, for instance, what if the digital copy is $10 cheaper? Then what? Will that drastically increase sales of one version over the other?

I'm a little tired of all the complainers, who clearly weren't around when SNES cartridges cost $50-$70 nearly 20 years ago. We should all be thanking our lucky stars that games today don't cost $100 apiece; by all rights, maybe they should. But things need to remain accessible and affordable; after all, the industry has experienced several down years, here. So maybe a big price hike in the software department next generation isn't a good idea. Maybe it should just stay at $60...if that's even feasible.

That is not correct, PS1 games did cost $50, the only bump in price was with the PS3/X360 era where games cost $60. Therefore you can't assume anything when it comes to next-gen games.

We are not going to see a big difference between digital and physical games of the same title. The costs to make the game are constant, the only real diffence is the cost of packaging and distributing the physical copy, which isn't that much to begin with. Since digital titles don't have to deal with that, it will be more profitable for the publisher. If you look at digital copies of movies you can buy from Sony/Microsoft/Apple, you will also see that their isn't any cost savings doing that either.

Message 6 of 32 (8,460 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Oct 12, 2012

If games jump to $70, I'm going to start buying a lot of used games.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 32 (8,452 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8903 posts

Oct 12, 2012

I remember the first game this gen that started charging $70 at launch was Afro Samurai, few games followed suit but people refused to buy them at those prices.

Message 8 of 32 (8,450 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5700 posts

Oct 12, 2012

I do not think the market would be able to bare a 70 hike with the economy as it is. Just look at it now. Most people tend to rent or buy second hand. Why do you think online passes were make (either that or just to milk us some more) most people simply cannot buy every game they want any more and I am no exception.

Although prices for making games is going up, no one will buy games if they will be simply to expensive and that is the bottom line. Higher price = fewer sales. Sure they make more per copy, but with less sales it would simply be unjustifiable.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 9 of 32 (8,415 Views)
Wastelander
710 posts

Oct 12, 2012
I'm quite sure that when the games started costing $60 there were people complaining about that and I'm quite sure those people are buying the games at $60 now! The same will go even if the price was raised to $100... People will complain about it but in the end they will buy the games still! That's what we do as gamers!
Message 10 of 32 (8,411 Views)
0 Likes